Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 2:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Game lengths increasing? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Game lengths increasing?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Game lengths increasing?  (Read 3712 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Game lengths increasing?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 8:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

96 moves is quite a long game, but you'll notice in a previous post in this thread that PMertens beat lightning in 122 moves once.  It's sort of a silly record, because someone could intentionally prolong a game where they are winning, but I don't think any of the longest games show that behavior so far.  We'll see what people do in the future...
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #16 on: Apr 16th, 2005, 2:18pm »

on Apr 16th, 2005, 4:18am, Arimanator wrote:
What if the game length between two humans starts to augment dramatically because of increasing knowledge of the game or the emergence of new tactics reinforcing the power of the losing side to ward off defeat indefinitely.

The statistics seem to support the idea that the games get longer as the players get better.  It isn't clear whether this trend will continue indefinitely, though.  Perhaps we will discover new offensive strategies that shorten games considerably.  If I had to guess at the moment, though, I would say that top-level games will continue to get longer and longer on average.   Let me guess that a year from now the average game between two 1700+ players will be 55 moves.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #17 on: May 4th, 2005, 1:49pm »

Not 300, just 252.  They broke the old record by one move!  Personally I think they agreed to play just long enough to get the record.  That's all they were after.  But we'll make note of it anyway for posterity: Game 14356 bot_Loc2005P2 defeats bot_GnoBot2005P2.

Contrast this do-nothing game to the previous record game.  In that one it looked like they only needed another 20 moves or so to reach a conclusion, whereas in this one nothing happened after move 10.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #18 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 2:08pm »

Because it is relevant to the discussion about time control for the World Championship, I thought I would update my graph which shows a moving average of game length.  I counted only games which ended in "g", "p", or "m".  I further restricted the games based on whether both players were human, and whether both players were rated 1700 or over.

I think the yellow line is the most relevant, as it shows the average length of all human versus human games.  It hasn't been declining recently, contrary to my claim elsewhere, and it now sits around 38 moves per game.  The average for strong human games has held fairly steady, and sits around 45.  My hunch is that the lengthening of human vs. human games overall has a lot to do with there being more strong humans around.

The pink line is composed mostly of games involving a strong human and some version of Bomb, so its progress depends on what methods are currently most popular for Bomb-bashing.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #19 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 9:57pm »

Thanks for the update, I always take great interest in these plots.

I'd say the light blue line is the most relevant to the tournament, since we're trying to select a champion, and s/he should presumeably be rated over 1700.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #20 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 11:01pm »

You are right, the light blue line is the most relevant to the World Championship time controls.  Just FYI, it consists of 264 points.  These days there are quite a few over-1700 human vs. human matchups, enough to start doing statistics and such.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2005, 11:01pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #21 on: Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:58pm »

One question we asked ourselves (but neglected to answer) was whether postal games would take more moves on average than live games.  It makes sense that a reduction in blunders would prolong games somewhat on average, but also one can finish won games more efficiently.

It turns out that among the 80 games of the postal tournament, 20 were decided by timeout or resignation, and the other 60 averaged 43 moves per game.  That is slightly longer than the average human vs. human game, but not by much, as expected.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #22 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 9:03am »

To update, there is a new record for human versus bot, game 19278: Bomb2005Blitz loses to Adanac in 143 moves.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #23 on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 6:51pm »

Game 22068, Megamau defeats Belbo in 96 moves, is the new record longest human versus human game.
IP Logged

Ryan_Cable
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #951

« Reply #24 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 10:33pm »

Clueless2006P1 drew Clueless2006Fast on score after move 600w.
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/comments.cgi?gid=25959

This is a hint that all BvB games should have a G factor.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #25 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 11:30pm »

Now we'll have to keep a separate record for the longest game decided on the board.  Obviously two bots that never go on offense could play a million-move game, assuming they are careful to avoid repetition.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #26 on: Mar 10th, 2006, 11:12am »

I might need to change the bot matching script to avoid games between different versions of Clueless2006 Smiley
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #27 on: Aug 7th, 2006, 4:00pm »

Since some previous longest-game records went here, I'll add game 36476, H_Bobbletoff vs. seanick, which seanick won in 138 moves.  It's interesting that the only HvH game of over 100 moves should be way over 100 moves.  I think that's what they call a "statistical outlier".
IP Logged

seanick
Forum Guru

SeaNICK

seanick
Email

« Reply #28 on: Aug 7th, 2006, 11:57pm »

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/replayFlash.cgi?gid=34855&s=w& client=1

seanick vs. bot_bomb2005p2: seanick wins as gold in 223 moves.

I blame it on Paul, and he blames it on me not paying attention to what he said.

either way that was fairly long.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.