Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 8:36am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Bot-bashing Hall of Fame »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Bot-bashing Hall of Fame
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Bot-bashing Hall of Fame  (Read 11001 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Bot-bashing Hall of Fame
« on: Oct 26th, 2004, 3:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Omar, I think there should be a link from the gameroom to a page of achievements against the standard bots you maintain (i.e. bots which don't change the way they play over time).  For each bot there could be a record for

* Shortest number of moves to victory by goal
    * Greatest material handicap offered
    * Shortest number of moves to victory by immobilization

and anything else interesting we think of.  That way people can stretch themselves towards different types of achievements against bots, instead of sticking to tried and true methods of winning.

Hmmm... is it a greater material handicap to start minus the elephant or minus a camel and a horse?  Maybe they could both be listed if both achieved.
IP Logged

PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

Re: Bot-bashing Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 9:42pm »

Actually I think thats a fun idea - and much more adrenaline, cause the risk are just higher.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2004, 9:46pm by PMertens » IP Logged
MrBrain
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #344

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 8:51am »

I once beat ShallowBlue in less than one minute.  Grin  (57 seconds I believe.)  Impressive?  You decide.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 5:37pm »

Great idea. I'll setup such a page.

I was also thinking it might be fun to have a monthly contest related to beating the bots with some handicap or with some odd setup, etc. For example one month the contest might be to beat Arimaalon as silver after trapping your dog and horse on the first move. The player who can acheive this with the fewest number of moves would win the contest that month.  

Let me know what you guys think.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 6:57pm »

Sounds good to me.  

You need to make the bot-of-the-month accessible to play unrated.  Otherwise all our ratings will get messed up.

Also you should specify that if two people tie at the number of moves they beat the bot in, the person who does it first wins.  Otherwise once it is done once, anyone else can copy the moves exactly and do the same.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 8:41pm »

on Oct 27th, 2004, 8:51am, MrBrain wrote:
I once beat ShallowBlue in less than one minute.  Grin  (57 seconds I believe.)  Impressive?  You decide.

Sure, this is another fun category of record to keep.  I queried my database to for more shortest-time records:

Game 1387 MrBrain def. ShallowBlue in 57 seconds
Game 1388 ShallowBlue loses to MrBrain in 64 seconds

Those are the fastest times to beat ShallowBlue playing Gold and Silver respectively.

Game 3276 Arimaazilla loses to bleitner in 65 seconds

There is no point recording the fastest time to beat Arimaazilla with Gold, since it is slower.  On the other hand, the above record is slightly suspect since it was a victory by repetition of moves.  The record time for a game decided by goal is

Game 5091 tomcstein def. Arimazilla in 164 seconds

which also happens to be the fewest number of moves.  MrBrain's victories weren't in the fewest moves, and neither are the records for fastest time to beat Arimaanator:

Game 4257 bleitner def Arimaanator in 507 seconds
Game 3882 Arimaanator loses to haizhi in 537 seconds

The games archive is only current up to October 24, so the following records for Arimaalon and Arimaazon have probably already been broken, but within what I can query:

Game 8681 99of9 def Arimaalon in 332 seconds
Game 8737 Arimaalon loses to LuckyLarry in 357 seconds
Game 8774 Arimaalon loses to BlackKnight in 7 moves

Game 8808 Arimaazon loses to ytri in 15 moves and 1382 seconds, but this latter record perhaps shouldn't count since it was decided by repetition of moves and not goal.

« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2004, 10:07pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #6 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 2:58pm »

I just added a 'Bot Bashers' link in the Arimaa gameroom. For now it only includes shallowBlue, Arimaazilla,  and Arimaanator. If I missed some games, let me know.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #7 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 3:53pm »

Looks good.

I think you should take down the Groumpf record against bot_arimaazilla.  The version of arimaazilla he played (January 2003) was obviously broken (killed its own elephant within a couple of moves).  I think these bot-bash records should only be against stable repeatable bots.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 7:48pm »

Cool, thanks for setting this up, Omar.  But I'm disappointed that my giving horse odds to Arimaanator isn't considered a large material handicap.  It's the largest yet, anyway!  You should add it to the record books if only to inspire 88of8 to offer a camel...  Wink
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #9 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 11:16pm »

Do you mean game 8925. I didn't include that one, because I noticed it was due to tripping the bug in Arimaanator. You would have won, even if the bug didn't get tripped. But I just wanted to be consistent and use only games that ended with goals or immobilization. Plus this gives you a reason to try it again Smiley
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 7:33am »

Ah, of course.  It is best to be consistent and include only wins by goal and immobilization.  I will try horse odds again at some point, but I will probably create a dummy account first and play my way up.
IP Logged

BlackKnight
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #695

« Reply #11 on: Oct 31st, 2004, 9:52am »

How about adding the shortest games with all pieces still on the board?  Wink
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #12 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 9:49am »

I played a few games to fill in your table, and put a mark in the sand for others to try to better:

against shallowblue:
win by no-move:
gold:  game 8907, 22 moves (the same game as the handicap you have listed)
silver: game 9114, 22 moves

win with biggest material disadvantage:
gold: game 9054, 16 moves, gave away MHHDDCCRRRRRR
(Only left with E+2R ... on a challenge from Fritz.  I'm actually not sure which was a bigger disadvantage, this, or the game you have listed where I started with only D+8R.  It took me longer to achieve this new one.)

against arimaazilla:
win by no-move:
silver: game 9035, 23 moves
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #13 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 9:53am »

on Oct 31st, 2004, 9:52am, BlackKnight wrote:
How about adding the shortest games with all pieces still on the board?  Wink

Sounds like a good category to me.  This means you can't play the usual game of tempting the bot with free pieces.  

We even have an example against Bomb2004CC ... since Omar played for exactly this outcome in one of the Challenge games.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #14 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 1:17pm »

on Nov 1st, 2004, 9:53am, 99of9 wrote:

We even have an example against Bomb2004CC ... since Omar played for exactly this outcome in one of the Challenge games.

I remember that game well; I did it in 41 moves playing silver.
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/showGame.cgi?gid=5318&s=b

I've updated the Bot Bashers page.

Added the 'win with no pieces lost by either side' catagory suggested by BlackKnight.

Added Toby's games and some other games to fill up the catagories.

For Toby's games with material handicap against shallowBlue, I decided to use the point values for pieces defined in the Arimaa scoring function. Thus the game with E+2R was considered more of a handicap than D+8R.

We have to keep in mind that Arimaanator is not hardware or processor load independent. Its currently running on my P3 1.1GHz winXP notebook. The move time settings are 30 moves in 30 minutes. If these parameters change of if my usage changes it could play more stronger or weaker.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.