Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 2:33am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Bot-bashing Hall of Fame »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Bot-bashing Hall of Fame
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Bot-bashing Hall of Fame  (Read 10997 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: Bot-bashing Hall of Fame
« Reply #90 on: Sep 2nd, 2005, 2:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 27th, 2005, 6:12pm, Fritzlein wrote:
I think you missed EH attack followed by smothering the hostage-holding elephant.  It's conceptually rather different than collecting little pieces for material advantage, although it starts the same way.

Yes, I did initially. But shortly thereafter I also realized that there are three distinct variations to the HEart Attack strategy. The one where the elephant gets flooded with minor pieces is called the Congestive HEart Attack Smiley

IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #91 on: Sep 2nd, 2005, 2:30pm »

on Aug 29th, 2005, 3:46am, Arimanator wrote:

I've started that up with Bomb P2, with my own records (no one around here supected me to be a saint,did one?), doing that for everyone seems like a job for Hercules although in the long run I intend to do some of it, not ALL of it tho  Wink. If somebody wants to chip in if only for their own records, be my guest.  Smiley

Thanks a bunch Pat. I really appreciate it.

IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #92 on: Sep 2nd, 2005, 2:34pm »

on Aug 29th, 2005, 5:26am, Arimanator wrote:
About the botslayers I believe Belbo's historical game against Bomb would deserve to be listed in the category of deliberate win by smother which I think, as noted by 99, is a strategy of its own very different from goal seeking.  

You're right I totally forgot about that one. And it's such a distinct and neat strategy. I'll add it, if no one else has done it already.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #93 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 2:04am »

I notice that among the bot-bashing strategies listed, there is no mention of the "only the elephant crosses the midline" strategy, proposed by 99of9 and finally accomplished by Arimanator.  Admittedly, that is more of a restriction/handicap than a strategy, and it is only proven again Bomb, but the point is that there is a way to be safe and gradually build up an advantage that doesn't expose any pieces to danger.

When the next version of Bomb comes out and we are trying all of the old strategies to see which ones still work, rabbit-pulling will be an extremely important litmus test, because it is completely distinct from Bomb's ability to handle the E+H attack.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2005, 2:04am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Arimanator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1064

« Reply #94 on: Sep 15th, 2005, 8:57pm »

I've decided to put my record against the false bot Arimaanator on the list. I believe I've found the correct designation for it.  Wink
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #95 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 5:11am »

on Sep 9th, 2005, 2:04am, Fritzlein wrote:
I notice that among the bot-bashing strategies listed, there is no mention of the "only the elephant crosses the midline" strategy, proposed by 99of9 and finally accomplished by Arimanator.  Admittedly, that is more of a restriction/handicap than a strategy, and it is only proven again Bomb, but the point is that there is a way to be safe and gradually build up an advantage that doesn't expose any pieces to danger.

Feel free to add to the BotSlayer page. Otherwise if you can give me some game ids showing this strategy, I will add it.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #96 on: Sep 28th, 2005, 12:12am »

on Sep 24th, 2005, 5:11am, omar wrote:

Feel free to add to the BotSlayer page. Otherwise if you can give me some game ids showing this strategy, I will add it.

It was gameid 15402.  See also 14996.  These important games somehow slipped our collective memory.  (Arimanator is too modest to repost his accomplishments after deleting the record of them.  Wink)  I know that nobody did this before Arimanator, and I doubt anyone has done it since.

For the purposes of the BotSlayer strategy page the relevant thing is not the amazing stricture under which Arimanator operated, but that Bomb can be beaten by defensive play with this tiniest dribble of offense.  It isn't flashy like mutual massacre or immonokill, but you can use your elephant to keep your pieces from being dragged out, and Bomb will NEVER generate an offense.  This is strategically very important, because for Fotland to fix it will probably require a totally different insight than to fix the HEart trouble.

I guess this strategy should be tested against Bomb2005CC, or more to the point, the most current Bomb when Fotland puts it back on line in November.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #97 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:47pm »

Thanks for game number Karl, but 15402 is not one of Arimanator's games.

I think 14996 and your recent one against Bomb2005CC should serve as good examples of this strategy.

I was thinking of calling it 'Nickle and Dime' because this approach slowly traps one minor piece at a time, but after a while it adds up Smiley
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #98 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 7:56pm »

on Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:47pm, omar wrote:
Thanks for game number Karl, but 15402 is not one of Arimanator's games.

oops, sorry, I meant game 15042
IP Logged

Arimanator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1064

« Reply #99 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 3:36am »

on Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:47pm, omar wrote:
...I was thinking of calling it 'Nickle and Dime' ...

Apt name and funny at the same time, I couldn't come up with something like that to save my life.  Smiley
IP Logged
grey_0x2A
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #1358

« Reply #100 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 12:03pm »

Has anyone done total removal before? I just did it vs. Arimaazilla in 27822.  
The elephant suicide and last dog take out where bot errors. But I think it is  
possible to do. Though it likely will be a long game....
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #101 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 6:23pm »

on Oct 10th, 2005, 12:03pm, grey_0x2A wrote:
Has anyone done total removal before?

Yes, Arimanator played some total annihilation games before.  Please feel free to add your achievement on the BotBashing Hall of Fame page under Arimaazilla.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.