Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 7:06am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Arimaa game viewer »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Arimaa game viewer
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Arimaa game viewer  (Read 5506 times)
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

Re: Arimaa game viewer
« Reply #30 on: Dec 8th, 2005, 4:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Nice job Janzert, it looks great!
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #31 on: Dec 8th, 2005, 6:06pm »

on Dec 8th, 2005, 4:03pm, Janzert wrote:
Yay! I got it working or at least it does for me in IE and FF1.5.

Awesome!  Thanks for this contribution to the Arimaa community.  One small glitch is that the silver horses are gold at the moment, but that should be a snap to fix.

I'm going to start putting in the template everywhere there's an Arimaa diagram on Wikipedia, so that the monolithic images can be deleted.   The pages with multiple board images should be much faster now.
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #32 on: Dec 8th, 2005, 6:40pm »

Oops, fixed now. Smiley

Janzert
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #33 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 12:22am »

on Dec 8th, 2005, 6:06pm, Fritzlein wrote:
I'm going to start putting in the template everywhere there's an Arimaa diagram on Wikipedia, so that the monolithic images can be deleted.   The pages with multiple board images should be much faster now.

Good stuff, keep it up, I'll just cheer from the sidelines Wink.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #34 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 8:30am »

on Dec 9th, 2005, 12:22am, 99of9 wrote:

Good stuff, keep it up, I'll just cheer from the sidelines Wink.

Why stay on the sidelines?  Adanac has now started adding diagrams and text to the strategy article.  (Yay!)  Indeed, the strategy article has gotten so big, it's time to break it up into book format, with chapters and sections organizing the pages.  Plus the whole thing needs to go over to Wikibooks.

Most of the advanced strategy isn't there yet, for example I didn't explicitly discuss the elephant-horse attack yet.  Adanac added a relevant diagram about blockading an opposing elephant with a rabbit flood, but there is no discussion of more general strategic aims of a rabbit flood, or of a blue22-like attack on both opposing traps simultaneously.  Indeed, there isn't even a discussion of how to play a dual-lone-elephant game, which is almost  ancient by Arimaa standards, but still quite relevant.

What would make a good outline (i.e. chapter-section structure) in your opinion?  Ordering the more advanced material gets a little tricky, because you need to know some things before others, but I'll bet we could work out something logical.  Maybe we should start a new thread for this.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #35 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 9:04pm »

on Dec 8th, 2005, 4:03pm, Janzert wrote:
Yay! I got it working or at least it does for me in IE and FF1.5.  

Way to go. I bet you had to experiment quite a bit to get that working.
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #36 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 10:12pm »

Actually the part that took the most work was getting IE to show it correctly.  

I had seen the negative margin trick used years ago in a css example. So after the wikipedia guys said setting a background image directly wasn't allowed, I remembered it and had it working pretty quick. Then was pretty disappointed when it wouldn't showing up in IE.  

It took me quite a while of fooling around before I tracked down that for some reason one of the IE only style sheets wikipedia uses sets the background color on the tables and I needed to set it back to transparent.

Janzert
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #37 on: Dec 10th, 2005, 3:23pm »

It's great for the community when the technical knowledge is located in the same person as a willingness to help out.  Thanks again, Janzert.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #38 on: Jan 6th, 2006, 1:20pm »

on Dec 7th, 2005, 7:42pm, Fritzlein wrote:
In addition to editing the template, you can edit/replace all the piece image files which are stored under names like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Arimaa_cgb74.png.  In the filename Arimaa_xyz74.png, the x stands for piece type (e, m, h, d, c, or r) the y stands for color (g or s) and the z stands for board or trap square (b or t).

Have the pieces been renamed?  I've copied the "Template: Arimaa diagram" into Wikibooks and I was hoping to do the same with the pieces, but I can't locate them.  I've checked the image Index in Wikipedia but there was nothing under Arimaa and I have tried different permutations for the naming conventions, but no luck.  I'm sure there's an obvious way to find them but it hasn't been obvious to me yet  Huh
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #39 on: Jan 6th, 2006, 2:12pm »

I had moved all the images to commons.wikimedia.com so that they should be directly accessible from any wikimedia project.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Arimaa_graphics should show them all.

I don't know if there's a way to do the same thing with the template itself or not. I'll try asking on the irc channel to see about that.

Janzert

P.S. I wasn't the one who created the category so don't blame me for it being a sub-category of animal icons. Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2006, 2:18pm by Janzert » IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #40 on: Jan 6th, 2006, 2:19pm »

Thanks, Janzert.  The images are working fine in Wikibook - stupid me.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.