Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 9:29pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Arimaa game viewer »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Arimaa game viewer
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Arimaa game viewer  (Read 5504 times)
pallab
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #1589

Arimaa game viewer
« on: Nov 4th, 2005, 7:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

is there any arimaa gmae viewer?. It may be interesting to write one in java, like 'jose' in chess.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Arimaa game viewer
« Reply #1 on: Nov 4th, 2005, 7:45am »

I already have a feature request for a game viewer: the ability to view variations.  That way analysis could be stored like it is inn Chessbase, et. al.  Currently one can only view the main line of a game of Arimaa.
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2005, 7:45am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

pallab
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #1589

« Reply #2 on: Nov 4th, 2005, 8:41am »

What is the name of the Arimaa game viewer?.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 9th, 2005, 1:56pm »

Sorry to be slow answering this.  I don't know that Omar has named the game viewer, but if you follow the link below

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/planGame.cgi

you can paste a list of moves into the text box and then replay the game graphically.

It would be great to have a GPL viewer in addition to Omar's tool, because right now Wikipedia won't accept board images under Omar's license.  I have to use chess diagrams to illustrate Arimaa positions.  Wikipedia changed its image policy so that all images must be GPL-compatible, and Omar's images aren't compatible because commercial use is taxed.  If I knew anything about graphic design, I would create my own set of images to release under a creative commons type of license.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15th, 2005, 4:36pm »

on Nov 9th, 2005, 1:56pm, Fritzlein wrote:

It would be great to have a GPL viewer in addition to Omar's tool, because right now Wikipedia won't accept board images under Omar's license.  I have to use chess diagrams to illustrate Arimaa positions.  Wikipedia changed its image policy so that all images must be GPL-compatible, and Omar's images aren't compatible because commercial use is taxed.  If I knew anything about graphic design, I would create my own set of images to release under a creative commons type of license.

Thanks for mentioning this Karl. I always thought that the Wikipedia.org was a non-commercial site. Even if it is not I would still consider it more of an eduactional site than a commercial site. For personal, educational and research use the Arimaa Public License states that there is no restrictions on the use or distribution of Arimaa related products or services.  
  http://arimaa.com/arimaa/license/
So please feel free to use the Arimaa graphics on the Wikipedia or any other personal, educational or research related site. If there is ever any doubt please feel free to discuss a particular case.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15th, 2005, 6:54pm »

Omar, thanks for giving your permission to use the images on Wikipedia.  Wikipedia is a non-profit organization, so it makes sense by your Arimaa license that you wouldn't have a problem with the images being used there without cost.

The problem is coming from their end.  Wikipedia has changed their image policy.  It isn't enough for you to give them permission to use the images.  They need the images to be released under the GPL or a compatible license, and the Arimaa license isn't compatible.

It's annoying that they are strict about this, but I can see the dilemma from their side.  For example, suppose Wikipedia enters a deal with Answers.com, where Answers.com is a commercial entity.  You didn't give permission for Answers.com to use the images, and the Arimaa license doesn't allow it, so if Answers.com wants to display the Wikipedia article to their customers, they have to strip out all the images. Wikipedia doesn't want to be encumbered by this type of restriction, so your permission on the images isn't enough for them.

I'm not trying to pressure you to GPL the images: I totally respect whatever license you want to use.  I just wanted to clear up why Wikipedia feels they can't work with your license, and why I think it would be cool to have GPL or public domain images out there too.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #6 on: Nov 16th, 2005, 4:15pm »

Oh I see. It's the redistribution problem. OK I'll provide another set of images that GPLed.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 16th, 2005, 5:43pm »

Thank you so much!  Oh, and maybe I should have said GFDL = GNU Free Documentaion License instead of GPL.  I think that a Creative Commons license is also fine by Wikipedia, and I've heard that some people prefer it to the GFDL.  As you can see, I don't really know much about it, I just know that I was told not to use the Arimaa license images any more.

I think there is a good chance that if you GFDL some images, some computer guy will hook them to a script so that plain text such as

{{arimaa diagram|=
|
|=
8 |pd|  |pd|  |  |  |  |  |=
7 |  |pd|pd|  |  |pd|  |  |=
6 |rl|rd|xx|nd|nd|xx|  |  |=
5 |  |ql|  |  |  |  |  |  |=
4 |pl|  |  |  |kd|bd|bl|pd|=
3 |pl|  |xx|nl|bd|xx|kl|pd|=
2 |  |  |pl|  |bl|pl|qd|pl|=
1 |  |  |  |  |  |nl|  |  |=
|The silver elephant has regained mobility, so Gold has no advantage from holding a camel hostage  
}}

will generate an Arimaa diagram in HTML.  They've done this for chess, so I imagine Arimaa is a trivial extension.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #8 on: Nov 16th, 2005, 6:34pm »

If you have any say when they set that kind of thing up, it might be useful to encourage them to use r, c, d, h, m, e, R, C, D, H, M, E notation instead.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 16th, 2005, 7:24pm »

Using lower case and uppercase letters seems like such a good idea it's too bad you weren't around to suggest it when the wrote the chess script.  I'll lobby for the improvement for the Arimaa script.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #10 on: Nov 16th, 2005, 9:44pm »

Obviously I didn't think of it first though... it's part of official arimaa documentation!

Thanks for lobbying.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 17th, 2005, 6:37pm »

A Google search turned up this URL http://cia.navi.cx/stats/author/josef which seems to me to indicate that someone is already developing an Arimaa game viewer for KDE, and is in need of piece images.  If anyone can tell me more precisely what is going on there, I'd be interested to know.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #12 on: Nov 17th, 2005, 7:26pm »

Nice find.  It sounds like they're using hand drawn ones at the moment.  It also sounds like their interface might properly incorporate arimaa in the next release... ~4 months after October 05.
IP Logged
Ryan_Cable
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #951

« Reply #13 on: Nov 17th, 2005, 8:51pm »

Here is the actual homepage for the GGZ Gaming Zone:

http://www.ggzgamingzone.org/

The website doesn’t seem to be very informative.  They are on version 0.0.12 and have apparently had one release every 4 months.  They claim to have 15 packages (SVN modules) available, plus a Windows port, 19 game engines and 27 game clients, and more than 150.000 lines of code in C, C++, Python.

There is also a page specifically about Arimaa, but it is very sparse:

http://www.ggzgamingzone.org/engines/arimaa/

They claim to have a SDL game client available and an AI opponent available.  Has anyone heard of Josef before?  It seems strange that someone would develop an Arimaa program without at least being an Arimaa player here at the gameroom, but maybe it is related to this legally dubious claim:

The Arimaa game name and rules belong to its inventor. The GGZ multi-board game GGZBoard understands the Arimaa game rules but is otherwise not connected to the original game.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 18th, 2005, 9:13am »

on Nov 17th, 2005, 8:51pm, Ryan_Cable wrote:
Has anyone heard of Josef before?

No, I've never heard of him before, but he'll introduce himself at http://www.josefspillner.de/ .
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.