Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 7:20am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Repetition rule »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Repetition rule
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Repetition rule  (Read 2156 times)
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

Repetition rule
« on: Mar 19th, 2006, 5:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I know that if the same position appears three times in a game then the player who moved to make the position appear the third time loses (unlike in chess where it's a draw).

I also know that the repetition doesn't have to be consecutive, so if the position appears three times anywhere in the game then the repetition rule applies.

My question is, what if the same position appears as before, but some of the rabbits have swapped with each other, is that counted as a different position?
IP Logged
Ryan_Cable
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #951

Re: Repetition rule
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19th, 2006, 5:23pm »

Pieces of the same type and color are indistinguishable, so the positions would be identical and would count as a repetition.  If you try to swap a pair of pieces of the same type in a single move (which would require all 4 steps), the server will tell you that the move is illegal because it doesn’t change the position.  You can test these things out using the plan window; though for some strange reason it checks 4-fold repetition rather than the 3-fold repetition that is checked in actual games.
IP Logged
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 8:04pm »

Does that position count only if it appears when a turn (eg 4 steps) has finished? ... or if it appears as one of the steps in that turn, does that could too?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 8:21pm »

Only positions at the end of a turn are counted.  For the purposes of the repetition rule, the positions at the end of intermediate steps are irrelevant.
IP Logged

Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 8:25pm »

Thanks for clarifying this Smiley
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: May 14th, 2006, 1:28pm »

This is probably a better place to continue the discussion of the repitition rule that started under the topic "Fairy pieces".

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=talk;action=display;nu m=1144695637
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #6 on: May 14th, 2006, 1:57pm »

I think Brian makes a good case for why we should look for the 3rd repetition instead of the 2nd.

So a player should not be allowed to make a move that brings the board back to a previous position with the same side to move if it has already occured twice.

When playing online, such a repetition can be checked by the client software (and the server) and the move would not be allowed. The player can be given a warning on the 2nd repeat, but allowed to make the move. The move would not be allowed for the 3rd repeat; the player must simply make a different move. In the rare case that the player does not have any other move then the player loses by immobilization.

However when playing OTB the burden of checking for repeats lies on the opponent. If the 3rd (or greater) repeat is noticed by the opponent then the opponent can require the player to take back the move and make a different move.
IP Logged
unic
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1878

« Reply #7 on: May 14th, 2006, 2:20pm »

How will the various bots deal with this?  My impression is that many of them don't check repetitions, and thus will submit what will now be an illegal move.  (... and for Fairy, I can add it - but how about the various 2004 / 5 / 6 versions of bots?)
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #8 on: May 14th, 2006, 6:58pm »

on May 14th, 2006, 2:20pm, unic wrote:
How will the various bots deal with this?

If I'm not mistaken, what Omar is proposing will have no effect on bots that check for repetition themselves, while bots that used to lose on repetition will now lose on time instead as the server awaits a different move that never arrives.
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #9 on: May 23rd, 2007, 7:21am »

Is the rule change still going to be made from lose to illegality? I can add a few additional arguments in favor of it:
  • It would be congruent with the fact that passing is also banned outright instead of causing an immediate lose.
  • It would give bot developers the (lazy) option of foregoing a repetition check in lieu of making the bot simply fall back to a backup move whenever the server reports the previous one was illegal.
  • Virtually every game that ends as a result of three-fold-repetition is effectively the result of a one-move blunder (akin to pushing an enemy rabbit to its goal row). Whenever this would not be the case and the move was in fact forced then we would like this to be explicitly made known. I would argue in favor of generalizing the term "immobilized" that is displayed by the game interface to something like "no legal move left" as the former is a possibly misleading categorization of such a situation.
IP Logged
NIC1138
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #65536

« Reply #10 on: Jun 1st, 2007, 9:22pm »

I'm sorry, but I  too lazy to check if this is aleady written somewhere Grin

...The repetition means the same STONE, or an equivalent stone in the same place?... In other word, dos it matters what horse wa where, or just that it was one horse?...
IP Logged
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #11 on: Jun 2nd, 2007, 1:14am »

on Jun 1st, 2007, 9:22pm, NIC1138 wrote:
I'm sorry, but I  too lazy to check if this is aleady written somewhere Grin

...The repetition means the same STONE, or an equivalent stone in the same place?... In other word, dos it matters what horse wa where, or just that it was one horse?...

The equivalent stone in the same place - what matters is only the position (so you can swap any horse or dog or cat or rabbits as you will as far as the position is undistinguishable)
IP Logged
NIC1138
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #65536

« Reply #12 on: Jun 2nd, 2007, 6:42pm »

on Jun 2nd, 2007, 1:14am, arimaa_master wrote:
The equivalent stone in the same place - what matters is only the position (so you can swap any horse or dog or cat or rabbits as you will as far as the position is undistinguishable)

Right then... But if you think about it, it's not that easy to swap rabbits!... Only your opponent can halp you to swap your rabits! Cool
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #13 on: Jun 2nd, 2007, 9:53pm »

Rabbit tricks are for muggles only.   Any wizard caught doing magic with rabbits gets laughed right out of Hogwarts.  Oh the humiliation.
IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #14 on: Jun 6th, 2007, 6:57am »

on Jun 2nd, 2007, 1:14am, arimaa_master wrote:

This is a good thing as it would make things significantly harder for the bot developers and could penalize bot performance.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.