Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 8:57pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Game branching factor graphs »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Game branching factor graphs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Game branching factor graphs  (Read 3001 times)
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

Game branching factor graphs
« on: Mar 30th, 2006, 2:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've spent the last little while making a little online app that gives a graph of the branching factor for individual games. It also provides a few other related statistics for the game. This is now online at http://arimaa.janzert.com/gamegraphs/.  

There are probably still a few bugs in it, so let me know if something doesn't seem to work.

btw, my other arimaa things (fame calculator, bf study) have moved over to arimaa.janzert.com as well. The old links have redirects that should be there for the foreseeable future so they should continue working fine.

Janzert
IP Logged
mouse
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #784

Re: Game branching factor graphs
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 4:24am »

Interesting tool. I tried it on a couple of my old games. The result came as a bit of a supprise to me. In games were I thought I had a clear mobility advantage I sometimes didn't. Hence there most be a big difference between what kind of moves I consider and the actual available number of moves.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 2:25pm »

Hey that's really cool, Brian. Thanks for making it available. I have linked it on the Arimaa >> Games page. I also updated the link on the Downloads page use the new URL.
IP Logged
Ryan_Cable
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #951

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 8:13pm »

I think there is a bug in your calculation of geometric mean.  It is often, though not always, identical for silver and gold.

It would be nice if you added links to the games on the Arimaa.com server such as:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/comments.cgi?gid=26741

Also that particular game shows the limited predictive power of available move advantage.  Neither side lost any pieces, and from move 13 to the end, Adanac had 3 to 4 fold more available moves, yet I was clearly winning and won the game on move 19.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 8:39pm »

Thanks for adding the geometric mean, Janzert.  I agree with Ryan, however, that something is fishy.  I looked at a sample of one game (namely game 10000), and although the numbers are different for Silver and Gold, it seems that the wrong one is larger.  Maybe I'm just no good at visually calculating a multiplicative average.  Cool
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 10:19pm »

Oops, I should know to recheck stuff that I finish at 3am. Fixed two bugs, one major and one minor, and double checked a couple games on the spreadsheet. Silver means were completely wrong. Should all be working correctly now.

I also added a link to get the raw move numbers, so you can throw them in a spreadsheet and play with them yourself as well.

Janzert
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2006, 11:04pm by Janzert » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 3:28pm »

Game 25959 seems to have a graph that is not only very crowded, but also has some extraneous lines on it.

Games 6956 and 13011 provide an argument for using a logarithmic scale for the moves axis.  In the latter game Belbo's 117,059 possible moves on 66w dwarf the rest of the graph, so that changes in Paul's endgame mobility are barely visible.

Game 19278 is, I believe, still the longest serious HvB game.  Adanac managed to find a difficult theoretical win over the board in a blitz game!  But anyway the endgame with only a couple of pieces left is impossible to read on a linear scale.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2006, 3:41pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 4:04pm »

I was going to ask if there is a "view game" link, where I could put the game ID in and it would open the game (since the game references above aren't linked) ... but then it dawned on me that all I need to do is go to:
http://www.arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/replayFlash.cgi?gid=19278&s=b& amp;client=1

Sorry for being a slow learner, and figuring out what is obvious to the rest of you.

There may even already be a "view game" link, and if so, then that's something else I've missed!
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #8 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 4:49pm »

on Mar 31st, 2006, 4:04pm, Swynndla wrote:
There may even already be a "view game" link, and if so, then that's something else I've missed!

Select Games from the lefthand navigation frame, there will be a view game and plan game link. Either one can be used to enter a game number to view a game.  

I personally like using the plan game link better, because it will open the game in a new window instead of resizing the current window. But only the view game will show you who won and lost the game.

Janzert
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #9 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 5:04pm »

on Mar 31st, 2006, 3:28pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Game 25959 seems to have a graph that is not only very crowded, but also has some extraneous lines on it.

I agree, trying to graph a 600 move game with a 640x480 image doesn't work terribly well. Wink I'm not positive I understand what you mean by extraneous lines though. I'm assuming you mean the turns for Gold (P1) that went over ~17000 possible moves. I double checked peaks at 140w, 277w, 278w and 346w with the official move generator and they all matched the number displayed in the graph. They just happen to be positions that have more options than the others.

Quote:
Games 6956 and 13011 provide an argument for using a logarithmic scale for the moves axis.  In the latter game Belbo's 117,059 possible moves on 66w dwarf the rest of the graph, so that changes in Paul's endgame mobility are barely visible.

Game 19278 is, I believe, still the longest serious HvB game.  Adanac managed to find a difficult theoretical win over the board in a blitz game!  But anyway the endgame with only a couple of pieces left is impossible to read on a linear scale.

I'm hoping to add an option to switch between a log and linear view. But I'm going to be out of town on a business trip for most of next week so I may not get it done for a couple weeks.

Janzert
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 5:11pm »

on Mar 31st, 2006, 5:04pm, Janzert wrote:
I agree, trying to graph a 600 move game with a 640x480 image doesn't work terribly well. Wink I'm not positive I understand what you mean by extraneous lines though.

On my graph there are four lines, two green and two red, which are more horizontal than vertical.  They seem to connect a point near (550, 17000) with points near (170, 12000), (170, 17000), (170, 18000), and (170, 20000) respectively.  Maybe they don't appear on your screen?

Thanks for considering the log option for the moves axis.
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #11 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 5:47pm »

Hmm, no I don't think I'm seeing that. Do they show in any/all of these versions png, gif or bmp? The png should be the same as the dynamic page the others were converted from the original in gimp.

Also what browser do you use and can you tell if it might be resizing the image to fit on your screen?

Janzert

Oops, nevermind. I just took a look at the online version and I see the extra lines. I'm guessing it's a gnuplot bug in the version that I have on the server. I'll see what I can do with it.

Janzert
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2006, 6:33pm by Janzert » IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #12 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 6:53pm »

Ok, nevermind again. Tongue It was a bug in my code. Should be working correctly now.

Janzert
IP Logged
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

Re: Game branching factor graphsG
« Reply #13 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 8:01pm »

on Mar 31st, 2006, 4:49pm, Janzert wrote:
Select Games from the lefthand navigation frame, there will be a view game and plan game link. Either one can be used to enter a game number to view a game.

Call me slow (go on) but I don't see a "Games" link on the left side of anywhere ... from the gameroom I have such things as:
Start Game
Invite Friend
Practice Games
Live Games
etc etc

... but no "Games"?
IP Logged
Ryan_Cable
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #951

« Reply #14 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 8:44pm »

He means the left frame of the main page (to the left of this forum).
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.