Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 2:20pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « FAME? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   FAME?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: FAME?  (Read 1455 times)
unic
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1878

FAME?
« on: Apr 18th, 2006, 6:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I see FAME mentioned now and then around here.  What exactly is it?
IP Logged
nbarriga
Forum Guru

Almost retired Bot Developer

Re: FAME?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 6:57pm »

It's abreviation for Fritz's Arimaa Material Evaluator.
It's a way of evaluating material balance.
Fritzlein proposed it in this thread: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=devTalk;action=display ;num=1062013358
IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 9:15pm »

I had exactly the same trouble a couple days ago; FAME is defined over the course of three posts, four pages down in an old thread with a nonobvious title.  I think Fritzlein was trying to hide it from new users and developers.   Wink

So, I created a page about it on Wikipedia to make it (hopefully) easier for people to find a definitive definition.   Fritzlein and Janzert might want to check to make sure I got it right.    

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAME_%28Arimaa%29
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 10:28pm »

Uhoh it's on wikipedia, now Fritzlein can never change it. Wink

Nice write up. The algorithm looks correct with a quick read through (but notice in the original thread how many tries it took me to get it correct Roll Eyes ). You may want to add an optional step 6

6: divide the score by 33.695652173913032 Tongue or whatever precision you feel like rounding it off at.

This "normalizes" the score so an initial rabbit is worth 1.0 and makes it a little easier for humans to comprehend.

I updated the fame calculator url to the new link (http://arimaa.janzert.com/fame.html).

Also I slightly changed the "Incorrect evaluation in extreme cases" section. Specifically to include, "no or very few rabbits remaining" since I think it's generally agreed that FAME undervalues the last rabbit for sure and probably last 2.

I think the last sentence of that section should be dropped as well. But I'll let you and/or Fritzlein decide on that. Wink

Janzert
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 10:18am »

on Apr 18th, 2006, 10:28pm, Janzert wrote:
Uhoh it's on wikipedia, now Fritzlein can never change it. Wink

On the contrary, now that it's on Wikipedia, everybody can change it.  As a matter of fact, I just changed to add a "benefits" section to balance the "criticisms" section.  I hope that isn't tooting my own horn too much.  If it is, I'm sure someone will change it!

Thanks for creating this article, IdahoEv.  I wouldn't have thought FAME was significant enough to deserve its own Wikipedia article, but I guess if you and unic each wished you had a reference, it needs to be publicly clarified somewhere.
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2006, 10:19am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

frostlad
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #1704

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 12:41pm »

I'm glad there is a wiki page. I never knew the formula for calculating the score so it's nice to see.
IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #6 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 3:07pm »

on Apr 19th, 2006, 10:18am, Fritzlein wrote:
As a matter of fact, I just changed to add a "benefits" section to balance the "criticisms" section.

Thanks! I wanted to add a "benefits" section when I wrote it (for that very reason), but I didn't understand them as clearly as the criticisms, since those were spelled out succinctly in other posts.

So I left it to someone else to write that section.
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2006, 3:07pm by IdahoEv » IP Logged
unic
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1878

« Reply #7 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 7:30pm »

Thanks for the responses - pairing the animals and then comparing them is an interesting idea.  (Fairy is still using fixed values, btw... so many ideas to implement, especially for evaluation, but have to watch out for bugs or too slow evaluation...)
IP Logged
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

« Reply #8 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 11:13pm »

I'm not sure that *any* bot uses the FAME formula ... but my bot will (when I start it)  Smiley
IP Logged
Ryan_Cable
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #951

« Reply #9 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 11:41pm »

Clueless2006 uses FAME.  The tricky part is that the positional terms have to adjust as the piece values change or else things fall out of sync (i.e. hostage becomes worth more than kill, etc.).  I'm not certain if the java sample bot provided by Jeff Bacher (the developer of Clueless) contains an implementation of FAME or not.
IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #10 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 2:54pm »

on Apr 19th, 2006, 11:41pm, Ryan_Cable wrote:
I'm not certain if the java sample bot provided by Jeff Bacher (the developer of Clueless) contains an implementation of FAME or not.

Well, it unpacks into a folder named bot_JeffBacher_FAME, so that seems pretty diagnostic to me.  Smiley

IP Logged
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

« Reply #11 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 3:49pm »

Nice!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.