Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 10:55pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Commented games and pgn format »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Commented games and pgn format
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Commented games and pgn format  (Read 6278 times)
BlackKnight
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #695

Re: Commented games and pgn format
« Reply #30 on: Jun 10th, 2006, 5:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 10th, 2006, 5:15pm, chessandgo wrote:
And after some comments the "}" appears, and sometimes not ... and in my source it seems that there is only one "}" at the end of each comment ..

There might be a -1 or +1 missing somewhere in my source code. I will fix it quickly.

Quote:
I tried to change things with the editor, but the variations are just not understood as such

Please keep the whole variation in one single line together with its corresponding ply, then separate the plies within variations by tabs (not by newlines), and end the variation with an empty ply (like every game does).

So, each ply together with its comments and variations should be in only single line.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2006, 5:32pm by BlackKnight » IP Logged
BlackKnight
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #695

« Reply #31 on: Jun 10th, 2006, 8:56pm »

To compare, you can also open the editor with game 32742b:
http://www.maenni.com/arimaa/gameeditor.php?gameid=32742b
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #32 on: Jun 10th, 2006, 9:12pm »

on Jun 10th, 2006, 5:27pm, BlackKnight wrote:

Please keep the whole variation in one single line together with its corresponding ply, then separate the plies within variations by tabs (not by newlines), and end the variation with an empty ply (like every game does).

So, each ply together with its comments and variations should be in only single line.

Ok thanks, I hadn't understood Wink

It seems that your parser doesn't like the " character ... and maybe it would be nice to be able to insert new lines in comments ... maybe you could pick a special character to denote it ?
And the list of moves on the right is not usable ... do you plan to make it possible to just click on a move and get the position ?  

There seem to be a little bug when undoing moves ... dead pieces reappears twice, one staying on the trap where it fell (or rather will fall Smiley )
IP Logged

BlackKnight
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #695

« Reply #33 on: Jun 10th, 2006, 9:30pm »

on Jun 10th, 2006, 9:12pm, chessandgo wrote:

There seem to be a little bug when undoing moves ... dead pieces reappears twice, one staying on the trap where it fell (or rather will fall Smiley )

That didn't appear for me yet. But maybe you are referring to the last move of the variant to ply16w. In 19b it should be Dg6w. That's why you suddenly have two dogs there, when you undo the move! Cheesy
IP Logged
BlackKnight
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #695

« Reply #34 on: Jun 10th, 2006, 10:05pm »

It seems that your parser doesn't like the " character ...

Right, I'm taking the text like it is into the html page. There, " delimits the text. So the remaining part will appear in the html source as useless junk. But maybe you can use two single quotation marks instead.

Quote:
and maybe it would be nice to be able to insert new lines in comments ... maybe you could pick a special character to denote it ?

I will think about it! Wink  Maybe for now you can just use some more tabs to generate some space.

Quote:
And the list of moves on the right is not usable ... do you plan to make it possible to just click on a move and get the position ?

This might be the ''most urgent'' next feature?! However, it's also a bit tricky when you jump back out of the variants. So, I need to think about this a little bit first. Smiley
IP Logged
BlackKnight
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #695

« Reply #35 on: Jun 11th, 2006, 4:31am »

Ok, try it out! Cheesy
It's not really jumping to the position, more like a fast forward, rewind.
Hope it's also fast when you have a slow connection!!
IP Logged
BlackKnight
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #695

« Reply #36 on: Jun 11th, 2006, 9:08am »

Added the famous and well commented game Fritzlein vs. Omar, 2005 Postal Championship:
http://www.maenni.com/arimaa/gameviewer.php?gameid=15552

Hope this makes it easier to replay the game and follow the comments along.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #37 on: Jun 11th, 2006, 12:30pm »

on Jun 10th, 2006, 9:30pm, BlackKnight wrote:

That didn't appear for me yet. But maybe you are referring to the last move of the variant to ply16w. In 19b it should be Dg6w. That's why you suddenly have two dogs there, when you undo the move! Cheesy

I don't get it, I have Dg6w indeed ...

Hey, great ! The new features work well, and the postal Omar-Fritzl is alright Wink

Good job !
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #38 on: Jun 11th, 2006, 3:36pm »

Great job on the game viewer Gerhard. It has turned out really nice.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #39 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 2:05pm »

on Jun 11th, 2006, 9:08am, BlackKnight wrote:
Added the famous and well commented game Fritzlein vs. Omar, 2005 Postal Championship:
http://www.maenni.com/arimaa/gameviewer.php?gameid=15552

This is extremely cool.  Thank you BlackKnight.  Hopefully it will inspire me and others to make more game commentary.

I tried to add a variation to game 15552 at move 5b.  It shows the first move of the variation, but not the second.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks in advance.
IP Logged

BlackKnight
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #695

« Reply #40 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 9:03pm »

on Jun 14th, 2006, 2:05pm, Fritzlein wrote:
I tried to add a variation to game 15552 at move 5b.  It shows the first move of the variation, but not the second.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks in advance.

To simplify parsing, the parser is looking for "tabs" to separate plies in variations. I inserted them, so now you can see that all moves will be shown.

However, maybe I should drop that somewhat strange requirement and just search for the next token that begins with a number (and therefore is a plynumber).  
Or I should at least change the standard behavior on tabs for this website, and let the textarea take tabs as input. Otherwise you always need to copy them from somewhere.
IP Logged
BlackKnight
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #695

« Reply #41 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 9:25pm »

And one more important point about this format:
PlyNo Steps { Comments } ( Variant1 ) ( Variant2 ) ...
The comments should be in front of the list of variants.

I only set those restrictions to simplify parsing in order to keep the javascript source code shorter. I can easily modify the code if these restrictions cause too much inconvenience.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #42 on: Jun 15th, 2006, 12:50am »

as soon as requiered format is specified I don't think it's a major pb Wink your work is good enough for us not to complain !
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #43 on: Jun 30th, 2006, 12:18am »

added comments on some Wch games ... of course anyone's welcome to edit them ...
(there might still be a few bugs, I'll fix them tomorrow)

A complaint to BlackKnight : the variations are accessible from the previous move ; it would definitely feel more logical to access them from the move they deviate from ... but well, one just has to step backwards to look at variations Wink Still it's confusing ...

have you asked Omar for hosting your viewer ?

(oh, and I got confused by the "page unfindable" error when adding a game, and tried to get another name, so there is a trash file WCh2XXXX ...)
IP Logged

BlackKnight
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #695

« Reply #44 on: Jun 30th, 2006, 5:32am »

on Jun 30th, 2006, 12:18am, chessandgo wrote:
the variations are accessible from the previous move ; it would definitely feel more logical to access them from the move they deviate from ...

Hmm, I'm not sure whether this feels definitely more logical.  Wink
After playing a certain move you have the choice to follow the main line, or go into some of the variations.
I copied this behavior from a popular chess game viewer.
Example: http://www.mychess.com/appletviewer/Polgar-Anand.htm

But maybe you are right, and others also feel this way.
Just let me know, then I can change it.

Furthermore I just discovered a little bug in this context:
If you choose a variation and you don't play those moves, and instead just go back to get the main line again immediately, the viewer will undo the previous move as well (one move too much!).

I will fix this -- maybe after we can decide where the variations should appear.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.