Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 12:50am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Unrating Games / Integrity of Ratings »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Unrating Games / Integrity of Ratings
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Unrating Games / Integrity of Ratings  (Read 4131 times)
unic
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1878

Re: Unrating Games / Integrity of Ratings
« Reply #30 on: May 26th, 2006, 1:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on May 26th, 2006, 12:39pm, Fritzlein wrote:

I don't think you are going to hurt a bot's feelings by resigning in general, but there's a specific case here that is different: Unic is actively developing Fairy, and he is putting it on line in order to get feedback on how well it is playing.  I don't think unic cares about the rating either, he  just wants "serious" games so the result is more useful.  If people would play just as seriously against Fairy in unrated games as in rated games, I don't think there would be any issue for unic at all.

Well summarized by Fritzlein.  I want games to be serious and played until the end, so that they are useful to me to in trying to improve Fairy.  I am often sitting watching the games live and studying Fairy's output as it is playing.
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #31 on: May 26th, 2006, 2:26pm »

Quote:
I wish bots could chat !!!!

Actually as far as I know there is the possibility of implementing chat to a bot.
Especially making a startup-message should be quite easy ... if I understood that perl-script correctly Wink

Quote:
Frankly, I don't understand what this whole obsession with ratings is all about. This is not go, where one's rating/ranking matters with respect to determining handicap.

I honestly do not care about ratings ... this is just a game to me ...

for the resign thing:  
I guess Fritzl said nearly everithing there is to say ...

Anyway I doubt that resigning is such a problem ... the unrate button is worse because people start playing strange experimental things, but stop when it gets interesting ...

Please Unic put it back online .. I will happily train it (sometimes when I am online ... since I am still on leave Wink )
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #32 on: May 26th, 2006, 6:06pm »

on May 26th, 2006, 12:43pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Well, chrismccoll must not read the forum or the comments on his games.  If he reads the comments, he must not care what anyone else thinks.  He's at it again with game 32205.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/comments.cgi?gid=32205

As I said in my answer to aaaa, if we decide that the itnegrity of the ratings isn't such a big deal anyway (perhaps recognizing that ratings manipulation happens other ways as well), then I'd rather see the feature removed than see it abused.

The fact that Fritz picked up the game among thousands of correct ones shows his omniscience.

This is not only another proof of Godel's theorem stating the existence of god, but also a constructive one !! Still Goedel didn't manage to prove god's uniqueness, so there is still hope to prove that Robinson is one as well Smiley

More seriously (or not ...) never mind that someone makes bad use of the feature ; not only it didn't make his rating go up but merely prevented it to go down (and down by 1 point or 2 I guess Wink ), but there's is still 900 points between his rating and yours Fritz Smiley And we all know you made it without deception !!!

jean
IP Logged

PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #33 on: May 27th, 2006, 5:38am »

it annoys me much more that everytime I want to take a look at the last commented games I have to scroll away some junk Wink
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #34 on: May 27th, 2006, 11:38am »

too true !! Basically when you look at the "recent commented games", and given the server instability these days, you see at least 45 "This game was changed to unrated blabla" out of 50 ; so maybe someone has added a very interesting comment on a very interesting game sooner the same day, but you are going to miss it anyway ...

The possibility of adding comment to a game is one of the very VERY nice features of this website ; maybe we should ask Omar to remove the request to add a comment at changed to unrated games ?
For instance we wouldn't miss anymore the last comment about the last Fritzlein-PMertens game ? Wink
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #35 on: May 27th, 2006, 6:13pm »

I disagree with removing the "unrate game" comment.  That is the only way the community is able to watch for abuse, and see players reasons for abandoning.

I agree there are too many of these comments at the moment, but that is just because the feature is used too often at the moment (not all because of server instability).
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #36 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 7:59am »

on May 26th, 2006, 12:43pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Well, chrismccoll must not read the forum or the comments on his games.  If he reads the comments, he must not care what anyone else thinks.

This is continuing.  I don't know how we can contact him if he doesn't read his comments.  Omar perhaps you could directly send an email asking him to stop?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.