Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 12:35am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Drawing »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Drawing
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Drawing  (Read 5080 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: Drawing
« Reply #30 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 1:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I think what gatsby is suggesting is somewhat similar to Chess 960 (Fischerandom chess). Only the starting setup position is randomly picked and it is the same for both players.  One player does not a different position than the other. I think this still would be considered a fair, deterministic game. However, I think I would still prefer giving the players the flexibility to chose their own setup, even at the expense of a slight imbalance.

As a side note; while designing Arimaa I did consider at one point using a dice to determine the number of steps a player gets on each turn Smiley

IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

Re: Drawing
« Reply #31 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 7:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 11th, 2008, 1:00am, omar wrote:
I think what gatsby is suggesting is somewhat similar to Chess 960 (Fischerandom chess). Only the starting setup position is randomly picked and it is the same for both players.  One player does not a different position than the other. I think this still would be considered a fair, deterministic game. However, I think I would still prefer giving the players the flexibility to chose their own setup, even at the expense of a slight imbalance.

As a side note; while designing Arimaa I did consider at one point using a dice to determine the number of steps a player gets on each turn Smiley

I believe that at its beginning when it was still called Chaturanga, Chess was played between four opponents (hence the doubling of most pieces), based on alliances and part of it was determined by the roll of a dice.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.