Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 10:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Your favorite type of game »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Your favorite type of game
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Your favorite type of game  (Read 954 times)
Isaac Grosof
Forum Guru

Longtime Arimaa Fan

Your favorite type of game
« on: Jan 10th, 2010, 9:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Post your favorite type of game and an example.
My favorite type of game is the control game, where I completely shut down my opponent, and then slowly win with absolutely no risk.
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/showGame.cgi?gid=131411&s=w&clien t=1
IP Logged

Sorry about that one thing.
FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

Re: Your favorite type of game
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11th, 2010, 11:05am »

Here's my first and only win by immobilization. There were still lots of pieces on the board, too. The bot wasted so many moves getting nowhere that I was able to slowly constrict its position. Reminded me of a game of Go or something

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/jsShowGame.cgi?gid=130237&s=b
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12th, 2010, 5:40am »

I love the games with a bit stronger opponent ... it teach you much. Especially if he is able to comment your blunders/bad strategical decisions.

On the contrary when I wanted to train capturing, I played lightning games when the opponent bot went in 2nd turn to elephant blockade.
As it prefers to be in the position you don't need strong pieces to guard there is a lot of free pieces to train capturing (with).

You can experiment with the blockade and achieve a lot of different blunders Smiley in rather short time Smiley ... yes I have to train a lot of different tactics with it in the future.  
Unfortunately bots don't help you with strategical decisions and so far their skils are limited ... but till 2020 ... Smiley
IP Logged

ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17th, 2010, 7:28pm »

My favorite recent game was number 132135:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/jsShowGame.cgi?gid=132135&s=w

I liked it because I decided to change my strategy in the middle of the game (move 9g).  I began the game thinking I would take control of the f6 trap, but decided to save my horse instead.  I also liked the idea of sneaking a rabbit up the west side with my cat - which I haven't seen much...  I think I got distracted by the possibility of framing Zombie's horse in the c3 trap, but managed to regain focus and swing my camel over to the northwest to bring the rabbit home.  I guess I also prefer quick race type games rather than games with frames and blockades - because I like quick games.  

Quote:
Unfortunately bots don't help you with strategical decisions and so far their skils are limited ... but till 2020 ...

I'm sure Hippo is right about that, but I've got to get beyond the technical blunders before I can expect my strategy to win the game.  And, I think that playing the bots is still a lot of fun.  It helps sometimes not to be too good at something  Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.