Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 12:53am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Teaching Children? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Teaching Children?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Teaching Children?  (Read 2462 times)
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

Teaching Children?
« on: Jan 13th, 2010, 6:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone tried to teach the game to younger children?  My 3 year old asked me today if I would teach them to play Arimaa.  I'm wondering if I should start with any rules modifications, such as leaving out freezing weaker pieces.  Though maybe I should start with checkersHuh!
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

Re: Teaching Children?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 7:19am »

I know for a fact that you can learn Chess at 5 but 3 may be a little early (unless he has a 150 plus IQ in which case he's laready 5 in his head.  Wink)  

Anyway, try Checkers or Othello and see how it goes.
IP Logged
ChrisB
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2339

« Reply #2 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 8:35am »

I don't know ... maybe you could start out with just rabbits, say six (per side).  I think that gold could win quickly, but it may take a three-year-old quite a while to master that.  Once your child solves six-rabbit-arimaa, maybe a game with just the elephant and rabbits would be fun ... kind of like Omar and Aamir playing chess with just the king and pawns when Aamir was four.
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2010, 11:43am by ChrisB » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 9:02am »

Wow, three is very young.  I would start with Candyland, to teach taking turns and following rules.  Next I would move to Connect Four or five-in-a-row (gomoku).  I disagree with the suggested age for Arimaa that Z-man put on the box, i.e. 12+, but the suggestion I voted for on Board Game Geek was 6+.  My hesitation about teaching Arimaa to younger children is partly the complexity of the rules, but mostly about patience and discipline.
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 9:24am »

Remind them that when an animal gets trapped it goes to a farm where there's plenty of its favorite food and people are there to give it love.  Don't mention that the health care was designed by the US Congress.
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 9:52am »

When I was little I spent every Tuesday afternoon at my grandparents, and my chess-&-bridge-enthusiast grandfather taught me chess. I have only a hazy recollection so I don't know how many sessions it took him. I was 3 1/2 at the time I'm told. I don't claim to have been a child prodigy or anything, I'm quite sure that with enough patience and the right approach it can be done with any 3-year-old.

Of course with chess you have to explain crazy stuff like L-shaped-jumping knight movements, castling and en passant. Arimaa's much easier, all the pieces move the same.  

The animal names are colourful and the relative strengths are logical, but with chess it's a bunch of weird words that don't mean anything... I remember finding it amusing that church leaders are named after a chess piece Smiley

Also you don't need to have a fantastic sense of imagination to make concepts like trapsquares and freezing vivid and fun for little kids. ("Now look, the little rabbit doesn't fall in the trap because he's got his friend standing next to him. But if his friend goes away... whoops! Oh no! Poor little rabbit! Mustn't do thaat!")  

I think Arimaa is a fantastic way to introduce the little 'uns to abstract strategy.
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 10:53am »

Thanks for all of the ideas.  A little extra background: She does play some games already, Candy Land, Uno, Memory, etc.  I'm guessing Arimaa (or at least something that superficially looks like it) will have some extra draw for her since she sees me playing it.
IP Logged

ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #7 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 11:25am »

My son is a little older than that at 6 years old, but he has been playing with chess pieces for a few years now.  I hesitate to say that he can play chess, but he does know all the rules pretty well.  

I've also taught him how to play Arimaa.  Last night, he got a little frustrated by how his rabbit was getting frozen by my cat on the penultimate row.  He said that he should probably learn to play chess better first before playing Arima any more.  I though it was funny that he thought that chess would be much simpler .

As far as how to teach kids Arimaa, I don't know the best way.  I've tried severe handicaps, which is OK, but I'm not very happy with that since I'm not sure he's getting the full experience.  What I'm doing now is that I use the full number of pieces, and we switch sides whenever my son wants to - so he always wins - which he likes a lot - and he learns how to move the pieces to the goal at the end.  
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #8 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 11:57am »

on Jan 14th, 2010, 9:24am, RonWeasley wrote:
...Don't mention that the health care was designed by the US Congress.

As opposed to what was in place before?  Roll Eyes

Maybe it'd be wise to leave politics out of this forum...
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #9 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 12:04pm »

on Jan 14th, 2010, 11:25am, ocmiente wrote:
My son is a little older than that at 6 years old, but he has been playing with chess pieces for a few years now.  I hesitate to say that he can play chess, but he does know all the rules pretty well.  

I've also taught him how to play Arimaa.  Last night, he got a little frustrated by how his rabbit was getting frozen by my cat on the penultimate row.  He said that he should probably learn to play chess better first before playing Arima any more.  I though it was funny that he thought that chess would be much simpler .

As far as how to teach kids Arimaa, I don't know the best way.  I've tried severe handicaps, which is OK, but I'm not very happy with that since I'm not sure he's getting the full experience.  What I'm doing now is that I use the full number of pieces, and we switch sides whenever my son wants to - so he always wins - which he likes a lot - and he learns how to move the pieces to the goal at the end.  

That's not bad! Maybe when he gets better, he can have that option only once in the game or at most every five moves, so he must learn to evaluate how bad/good the position has become.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 1:12pm »

on Jan 14th, 2010, 11:25am, ocmiente wrote:
What I'm doing now is that I use the full number of pieces, and we switch sides whenever my son wants to - so he always wins - which he likes a lot - and he learns how to move the pieces to the goal at the end.

Yes, as Arimabuff says, a good way to gradually reduce that handicap is to only let him switch on the even moves, then only on multiples of three, etc.
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2010, 1:13pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #11 on: Jan 15th, 2010, 12:01pm »

I was going to say that for a 3 year old you might want to start with tic tac toe or dots and boxes just to introduce the concept of taking turns and working towards a goal. But it seems that your daughter has already advanced passed that level.

She might be ready for Arimaa, except that the freezing rule, rabbits not moving backwards and traps being secured with friendly pieces might take a little while to adjust to. She will understand those rules without any problem, but will likely forget to follow them during a game. It even happens to adults (a bit like blundering a piece).

To make the game more balanced you might want to try the dice variation which I often use at home with my daughters. You basically roll a dice to determine how many steps you get to take. If it rolls to more than 4 you are still capped at taking 4 steps. My youngest daughter likes to play the variation where only I have to roll the dice and she always gets to take 4 steps Smiley

IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #12 on: Jan 16th, 2010, 7:52am »

What about Capture Go?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.