Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 11:54am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « BGG Contest for Videos about Board Game Rules »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   BGG Contest for Videos about Board Game Rules
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: BGG Contest for Videos about Board Game Rules  (Read 18766 times)
FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

Re: BGG Contest for Videos about Board Game Rules
« Reply #15 on: May 12th, 2010, 10:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I think I'll write a 1-2 minute instrumental loop for the main video, and you can loop it as many times as needed. And since there are so many people involved I imagine we'd have credits, so I'll write a short, more rockin' song for that Smiley
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #16 on: May 12th, 2010, 3:47pm »

Are we gonna use Fritz's voiceover script as it is? If so I'll just go ahead and record it. I'll be a bit more fluent than the League vid, promise. Cheesy  

I'll see if I can get it done in the next couple of days so everybody else knows what they're working with and there's time to redo some of it if needs be.

So I'll upload it to Omar's ftp address as one long MP3 and leave the splicin' and dicin' to you guys...?

PS: I reckon something like the following would be a good idea:  
(inserted sentence is underlined)

"A piece can't push and pull at the same time, although for four steps it could push and pull consecutively. It's also worth mentioning that, although rabbits can't step backwards by themselves, they can be pushed or pulled backwards."
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2010, 4:04pm by megajester » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #17 on: May 12th, 2010, 8:35pm »

Yes, it is worth mentioning that rabbits can be pushed or pulled backwards.  There are a few other fine points of the rules that I didn't mention, and I also put in some clarifications that aren't strictly necessary.  Definitely there is room for improvement and the script I posted shouldn't be considered a final product.

When I read my script myself at an unhurried pace, it took me just about five minutes.  Considering the potential need for end credits, and wanting to give Kal a chance to lengthen pauses in the audio to make it fit better, I think we should at least cut as much from the script as we add, if not cut more.  Of course, one could always read faster, but I don't think we should cram.  So while I think it is great to be clear on the point of pushing rabbits backward, maybe we should take out some of my editorializing as well.  For example, one wouldn't have to say that there are no memorized openings.

One thing to consider is that we can show some things that we don't have time to say, and then cut them from the script.  For example, I say that diagonals don't count and then reiterate it later.  Perhaps it would be better instead to make sure the video had an example of diagonal adjacency not unfreezing, as well as an example of diagonal adjacency not protecting a trap.  Unfortunately, making such a decision crosses boundaries in the division of labor; some decisions of the video and audio are interdependent.

I note now that Patrick has some acting experience and has also volunteered to do the voiceover.  My earlier post tapping was megajester for the voiceover was an oversight that we had two volunteers, not an attempt by me to take control of the project and say who does what.  Frankly, I would rather not do either the voice or the video myself.  Would one of you be able to record video and the other audio?  If you both want to record the audio, how should we decide?  Should we get both recordings and have a community vote?

I wonder whether having a reading of the audio available beforehand would be useful to whoever records the video.  It could help pace the actions of the video, so that a lesser burden is placed on Kal to make things match up.  Also it would raise the possibility of whoever records video giving feedback that, say, a certain portion of the voiceover must be slower, which could then be re-recorded rather than fussed around by Kal.

Splitting up the tasks sounds great in principle, but there are evidently some complications.  Tongue  We could perhaps use a benevolent dictator coordinator to get all the pieces working, and I'm not sure I'm up to the task, particularly not if I end up needed to perform on video too.  I guess I nominate Omar for the role since it was his inspiration to do this communally.  Grin
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2010, 8:36pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #18 on: May 12th, 2010, 11:50pm »

My vote for Omar to be dictator coordinator
(and I don't think I could help with this project Sad).

May be one idea ....  
in the initial sequence (may be just initial setup?) it could be nice to have picture in picture showing the same with chess set.
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2010, 12:14am by Hippo » IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #19 on: May 13th, 2010, 2:21am »

Omar, I tried to upload a test recording using that ftp manager you posted a link to, but it wasn't having it. I've now uploaded it manually to the ftp.arimaa.com/pub directory, but I can't see it with my web browser (Chrome).

If people prefer someone else's voice I'm cool with that, otherwise just let me know and I'll make a recording. I do agree with Fritz that there should be one person at the centre of everything. Just with the script, constructive criticism aside you have to have one person making the final decision.
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #20 on: May 13th, 2010, 4:35am »

Fritz, I love the example voiceover/video jokes (fast motion set up, elephant blockade...)  They really should be worked into the main script.

A couple of ideas on the voiceover...  mostly looking at the first few paragraphs to get maximum impact for the first impression.

Do we want Arimaa compared to chess in the opening?  I know that has been a turn off for some of the people I have taught the game to.  Many of the perceived drawbacks of chess (memorized openings, etc.) are not present in Arimaa.  And I thought there was some sentiment that it shouldn't be categorized as a chess variant. (Note - I said perceived - I figure that is a discussion for a different thread...)

When the game was first described to me, the approach used was to describe it as a game of bullying.  I wonder if this would lend itself better than the word boss.

Do we want Z-Man games spoken in the voiceover, or just be visible on the box?

I was going to write up an alternate first few paragraphs...but am out of time this morning.  So just a few thoughts in case anyone wants to do some editing.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #21 on: May 13th, 2010, 6:17am »

Thanks for nominating me as coordinator Hippo, but I think I'll decline. Actually I would love to see if this project can be done in a truly distributed way without any central coordination. It would mean that there would not be anyone assigned to any one thing and anyone can contribute to anything. We would operate like an army of ants. Just see what needs to be done and help out where you can. Even if someone is already working on something, it doesn't mean that you can't. Feel free to provide your version of the same thing. Karl already provided a voice over script; but that shouldn't stop Eric from providing one also. Kal is going to merge the files to produce a video, but someone else can also download the files and produce their own. We could end up with multiple videos.  In the end the community will vote to see what survives. The process would not be efficient; there would be redundancy and the end product would evolve iteratively with some trial and error.

To participate in this kind of a system one has to put aside their feelings. In the hustle and bustle of getting things done, we might step on each others toes and say things which could be viewed as negative. Or something you spent hours on producing might not get used. You just have to shrug these kind of things off and not let it deter you from participating in the future.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #22 on: May 13th, 2010, 6:31am »

on May 13th, 2010, 2:21am, megajester wrote:
Omar, I tried to upload a test recording using that ftp manager you posted a link to, but it wasn't having it. I've now uploaded it manually to the ftp.arimaa.com/pub directory, but I can't see it with my web browser (Chrome).

I had tested it with a small file and it worked, but with a big file the HTTP connection is timing out during the upload.

I increased the limits and it seems to be working now. Let me know if you still run into any problems.
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2010, 7:04am by omar » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #23 on: May 13th, 2010, 6:38am »

Karl, I can help with shooting the video. We have a HD camcorder and Aamir is really good with setting up proper lighting.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #24 on: May 13th, 2010, 7:18am »

on May 13th, 2010, 4:35am, Nombril wrote:
Fritz, I love the example voiceover/video jokes (fast motion set up, elephant blockade...)  They really should be worked into the main script.

A couple of ideas on the voiceover...  mostly looking at the first few paragraphs to get maximum impact for the first impression.

Do we want Arimaa compared to chess in the opening?  I know that has been a turn off for some of the people I have taught the game to.  Many of the perceived drawbacks of chess (memorized openings, etc.) are not present in Arimaa.  And I thought there was some sentiment that it shouldn't be categorized as a chess variant. (Note - I said perceived - I figure that is a discussion for a different thread...)

I was also contemplating if it is good to mention chess or not. Maybe just mentioning that it can also be played with chess pieces is enough. That might appeal to someone who wants to try it out with their chess. That is also a positive thing that Arimaa has going for it; you just have to learn the rules to get started; you probably already have the material to play it.

Quote:

When the game was first described to me, the approach used was to describe it as a game of bullying.  I wonder if this would lend itself better than the word boss.

I think I like the word 'bullying' also.

Quote:

Do we want Z-Man games spoken in the voiceover, or just be visible on the box?

The BGG community definitely knows Z-Man and they have a good reputation. I think it helps add creditability to Arimaa. So I am for mentioning it.

Quote:

I was going to write up an alternate first few paragraphs...but am out of time this morning.  So just a few thoughts in case anyone wants to do some editing.

Feel free to whenever you get a chance.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #25 on: May 13th, 2010, 7:19am »

FireBorn, nice music samples. Looking forward to seeing what you produce.
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #26 on: May 13th, 2010, 8:36am »

I think it would add a lot if we could have people from all around the world, with different accents say a few words (the more people the better). It would show that the game is already played everywhere... Plus it would beat the hell out of a video made with only one voice over.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #27 on: May 13th, 2010, 9:03am »

on May 13th, 2010, 8:36am, Arimabuff wrote:
I think it would add a lot if we could have people from all around the world, with different accents say a few words (the more people the better). It would show that the game is already played everywhere... Plus it would beat the hell out of a video made with only one voice over.

I am not sure with that. It seems to me it would be disturbing.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #28 on: May 13th, 2010, 9:15am »

on May 13th, 2010, 6:17am, omar wrote:
Thanks for nominating me as coordinator Hippo, but I think I'll decline. Actually I would love to see if this project can be done in a truly distributed way without any central coordination.

Realistically, this means that whoever mixes the pieces has more work to do and has all of the power.  This is fine with me; I'll be quite happy to see what Kal comes up with, but in this case a lack of coordinator doesn't make the process more democratic, it just makes Kal the de facto person in charge.  If he decides that FireBorn's music sucks and uses Nirvana instead, that's that.  I trust Kal's judgement and thank him for volunteering, because without him putting in a ton of work at the end of the line, the project doesn't even happen.  Still, let's not kid ourselves about what it means for nobody to be coordinating.

on May 13th, 2010, 8:36am, Arimabuff wrote:

I like the idea of having different accents in the voiceover.  If we have more than one, let's shoot for at least three.  It would emphasize the reality that Arimaa is already a world-wide game, for a very nice effect.  I think the simplest way to do this is to have everyone who is willing to be a reader record the whole script, which gives Kal the full range of options for piecing it together as he chooses.

on May 13th, 2010, 6:38am, omar wrote:
Karl, I can help with shooting the video. We have a HD camcorder and Aamir is really good with setting up proper lighting.

I also like the idea of having different people in the video.  Just increasing the faces/hands shown from me & Katie to also including Omar's kids is a big plus, but if we can get more it would be yet still better.  Everyone who wants to can shoot the whole video or at least shoot some scenes, so there would be material for a very diverse final video.

In a few hours I will post a revised audio script (including some suggestions from this thread) with actions described for every bit of verbiage.  However, consistent with Omar's wishes, this will just be a starting point to make it easier for everyone to jump in.  Folks should feel free to deviate from the audio and deviate from the actions too, consistent with Omar's mandate for chaos.  Smiley
IP Logged

SpeedRazor
Forum Guru

Skepticism is the Immune System of Science

Email

« Reply #29 on: May 13th, 2010, 9:25am »

on May 13th, 2010, 9:03am, Hippo wrote:

I am not sure with that. It seems to me it would be disturbing.

One of the most fascinating things about Arimaa is "why was it created?"  (To see if, after IBM's Deep Blue/Kasparov match, human beings could still challenge computers with a game where brute force won't yet work.)

Fritzleine has explained this many times (and very aptly so!); but shouldn't, at the very least, the creator of the game explain this?  I realize it's only 5 minutes, and there must be credits at the end, but Arimaa isn't a game in a vacuum:   it was inspired into creation!  That angle should be mentioned, I would think...  

This also begs the question of whether "The Arimaa Challenge" should be mentioned - (which seems interesting to lay people) - which again begs whether Arimaa software programmers should chime in (Fotland, et cetera) on just why this game is such a challenge to program.

On the whole, I agree with you Hippo, but maybe up to three persons is a happy medium...
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2010, 9:52am by SpeedRazor » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.