Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 9th, 2024, 6:12am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « The double hostage »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   The double hostage
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The double hostage  (Read 689 times)
Isaac Grosof
Forum Guru

Longtime Arimaa Fan

The double hostage
« on: May 8th, 2010, 2:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What is your take on positions like the position after move 25g of this game where multiple pieces are hostaged in the same corner. Is it advantageous?

I had a similar one against Tuks in my ongoing autopostal game against him. It was created after move 26g of this game.
Is the situation the same, or is there some subtle difference which led to my pending loss?
IP Logged

Sorry about that one thing.
Sconibulus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4633

Re: The double hostage
« Reply #1 on: May 8th, 2010, 2:54pm »

I would say that both of those positions are problematic, (only looking at the quadrant where the hostage is) the first because you don't have the pieces seperated, making it possible for them to save themselves, and the second one simply because you don't have enough support at the trap they're hostaged in.

In my experience, for hostages to work you need to maintain trap control, and hostage seperation, also when the same piece holds multiple hostages, it's nice to hold an open square so you can flip, threatening the second piece. Otherwise, while you have both pieces out of play, you're only threatening the larger piece.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: The double hostage
« Reply #2 on: May 8th, 2010, 3:04pm »

Right, it isn't really a double hostage if neither piece is frozen.  On move 29s knarl could have (and should have) pushed his camel into c2.

To make it a true double-hostage, you need to pull the silver horse to a3 and fill in a2 and a1 with your gold rabbits.  Then both the horse and camel will be immobilized and threatened with immediate capture.  That sort of situation is very advantageous, even more so than a regular camel hostage.  You are tying down the enemy EMH with only your E.  Of course you need to be careful not to get buried, just like with a regular camel hostage, but it should be slightly easier for you to keep some breathing room, because your opponent has one less horse to fight with.

And good job winning one for the Rockies! Grin
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.