Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 3:38am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « The Center Push »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   The Center Push
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Center Push  (Read 2933 times)
FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

The Center Push
« on: Apr 22nd, 2010, 3:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don't know if this strategy has been explored before, but I've had some success with it against the iPhone full-strength bot.

It consists of setting up all 8 major pieces in the middle and having blocks of rabbits on both sides: like so

Code:

R R M H H E R R
R R D C C D R R

Then slowly pushing forward until a position like this is reached:

Code:

. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .  
. . x M E x . .
. . H C C H . .
. . D . . D . .
. . x . . x . .
R . R . . R . R
R R . . . . R R

The advantage being the pieces in the middle help to unfreeze each other while taking control of all 4 traps (rabbits protecting the South traps while the major pieces capture in the North traps). I haven't tried it against stronger bots yet, which I will do, but I'm up for discussion about it anyway
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2010, 3:13pm by FireBorn » IP Logged
tfitzgib
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #4232

Re: The Center Push
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22nd, 2010, 7:05pm »

One look at my rating will tell you I'm not an expert, so take this for what it's worth.

The first counter I can think of would be a horse-and-dog attack against one flank or both.  If you try this as Gold, than Silver can start the camel on said flank to support that attack.

I notice you have the camel and elephant starting behind the traps; did you have any trouble getting them out?  How did you deal with hostage situations (if any)?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 22nd, 2010, 8:32pm »

Your opponent will need advance enough pieces to keep total control of at least one of his home traps.  Your elephant can't guard both of his traps, so his elephant needs to start making captures in the other one, probably the one in the northwest, and your camel shouldn't be strong enough to stop that from happening.  At the very least he should be able to take your camel hostage, forcing your elephant over to the west to stop the camel from being captured.  That would then make his camel the strongest free piece in the east, and eventually enable him to make captures in the northeast trap.

I have never yet made a central swarm work against a strong opponent.  What is the other guy doing while you roll up the middle?  Where are his elephant, camel, and horses?
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2010, 8:33pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Ice
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3201

« Reply #3 on: Apr 22nd, 2010, 10:02pm »

I have to say though that it is a very interesting idea and I like seeing people explore new strategies.

Does the iphone game client connect to the gameroom? If so, link up a couple of game id's so that we can see or try the strategy out against one of the bot ladder bots and reference the game id.

Just out of curiosity, does the iphone have nearly enough horsepower to field a semi-strong bot?
IP Logged
FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

« Reply #4 on: Apr 22nd, 2010, 10:56pm »

on Apr 22nd, 2010, 7:05pm, tfitzgib wrote:
I notice you have the camel and elephant starting behind the traps; did you have any trouble getting them out?  How did you deal with hostage situations (if any)?

Nah, just step over the traps.

The bot never took a hostage, haha.
IP Logged
FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

« Reply #5 on: Apr 22nd, 2010, 10:59pm »

on Apr 22nd, 2010, 8:32pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Your opponent will need advance enough pieces to keep total control of at least one of his home traps.

So the counter would be to advance a bit yourself...interesting.

Quote:
Your elephant can't guard both of his traps, so his elephant needs to start making captures in the other one, probably the one in the northwest, and your camel shouldn't be strong enough to stop that from happening.  At the very least he should be able to take your camel hostage, forcing your elephant over to the west to stop the camel from being captured.  That would then make his camel the strongest free piece in the east, and eventually enable him to make captures in the northeast trap.

Couldn't you use your minor pieces to support the camel, leaving your elephant free?

I suppose if his NW trap is well-occupied it might be hard to defend it...

Quote:
I have never yet made a central swarm work against a strong opponent.  What is the other guy doing while you roll up the middle?  Where are his elephant, camel, and horses?

His elephant usually ends up behind my lines, pushing around pieces aimlessly while his other pieces shuffle around in his back ranks, lol.
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2010, 11:07pm by FireBorn » IP Logged
FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

« Reply #6 on: Apr 22nd, 2010, 11:02pm »

on Apr 22nd, 2010, 10:02pm, Ice wrote:
Does the iphone game client connect to the gameroom? If so, link up a couple of game id's so that we can see or try the strategy out against one of the bot ladder bots and reference the game id.

No, doesn't link to the gameroom (yet? Smiley)

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, does the iphone have nearly enough horsepower to field a semi-strong bot?

Yeah, it's not the strongest bot.
IP Logged
FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

« Reply #7 on: Apr 22nd, 2010, 11:44pm »

Sample game against Bomb2005Fast: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/opengamewin.cgi?client=1&gameid=14 2195&role=v&side=b

I was actually doing pretty well using the center push until I started running outta time and blundering. I resigned cuz I have to sleep now.

On 12s, i probably should've retreated my horse from the NE trap instead of advancing my dog...

On 13s, I probably should've defended SW trap with rabbits and kept my horse in the north.
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2010, 11:47pm by FireBorn » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #8 on: Apr 24th, 2010, 5:51am »

on Apr 22nd, 2010, 3:04pm, FireBorn wrote:
I don't know if this strategy has been explored before, but I've had some success with it against the iPhone full-strength bot.

Interesting strategy. You should test it out against the CC bots in the gameroom. If you can win against the CC bots using this, then you definitely have something.
IP Logged
tfitzgib
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #4232

« Reply #9 on: Apr 25th, 2010, 8:05am »

In case you see this before your match today, FireBorn, I for one would like to see how a center swarm would work against a human opponent.
IP Logged
FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

« Reply #10 on: Apr 25th, 2010, 11:12am »

Sorry, didn't see it. But I wouldn't risk it for a league game, anyway!
IP Logged
tfitzgib
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #4232

« Reply #11 on: Apr 25th, 2010, 11:21am »

Didn't realize it was for a league game until it started.  I think it was for the best.

By the way, congratulations on the win.  Nice move blockading the enemy elephant.
IP Logged
FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

« Reply #12 on: May 22nd, 2010, 12:39pm »

Center push win: http://www.arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/opengamewin.cgi?client=1&gamei d=144920&role=v&side=b Smiley
IP Logged
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #13 on: May 23rd, 2010, 8:15pm »

That's the first time I've seen a game like that.  Very well done.
IP Logged

leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #14 on: May 24th, 2010, 9:18am »

Interesting global strategy. I'm waiting to see it used against human players and how they would adapt to it. The bots being stronger at local tactics they might exploit a weak point once in a while but not get the big picture.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.