Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 11:11am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Re: So we burn the village in order to save it!!! »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Re: So we burn the village in order to save it!!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: So we burn the village in order to save it!!!  (Read 3178 times)
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #15 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 5:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jul 4th, 2010, 5:05am, Fritzlein wrote:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=2010awl;action=display ;num=1277067962

Summary: 722caasi won his World League game against Nombril by listening in to live chat and using moves suggested by spectators.  I have said that I will no longer give live commentary until the site has built in a greater assurance that players can't use my commentary to cheat.  Several people are of the opinion that the value of live commentary is greater than the likely harm of cheating.  Omar is attempting to set up the server to broadcast live games with a 4-ply delay to all observers except the two players.

To this summary let me add that yesterday I was chatting live about Nevermind vs. Harren, and went so far as to comment on the then-current position.  However, as soon as I made a suggestion that was actually played, I could tell I would not be comfortable giving live commentary any more, for exactly the reasons I suspected.

Was your commentary on teamspeak or the chatroom?
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #16 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 5:22am »

on Jul 4th, 2010, 5:05am, Fritzlein wrote:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=2010awl;action=display ;num=1277067962

Summary: 722caasi won his World League game against Nombril by listening in to live chat and using moves suggested by spectators.

Thanks.  This is very sad news.  I will address further comment there.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 5:23am »

on Jul 4th, 2010, 5:06am, Arimabuff wrote:
Ok let me rephrase it then. Your commentaries are as potent and addictive as crack cocaine and when you withhold them, then you put people like me in a withdrawal state. Wink

So yes you could be doing something excellent to the community if you resumed commentating in the future but if you don't you'll still be the second best contributor of the game.

Thank you, Patrick, for the compliment and for recasting the issue.

on Jul 4th, 2010, 5:10am, Arimabuff wrote:
Was your commentary on teamspeak or the chatroom?

I was talking in the chat room.

TeamSpeak is an alternative, but it is not authenticated.  Anyone can log in to TeamSpeak under any name.  Rabbits made a reasonable suggestion that everyone who logs into TeamSpeak also log into the chatroom, (which is authenticated) to say, e.g., "The Sconibulus in TeamSpeak is the real Sconibulus."

This would be doable, although I foresaw myself chattering away in TeamSpeak, abruptly stopping when someone new logged into TeamSpeak without having reported in the chatroom, and being told by my listeners to continue talking rather than letting my paranoia interrupt things.  At that moment yesterday I wasn't prepared to deal with being told what to do.

I would, however, be willing to give rabbits' suggestion a try, on the understanding that I won't be called names if I withhold commentary at all times when someone is in TeamSpeak without being authenticated via the chatroom.  The game Tuks vs. Adanac in three and a half hours could be a good test case.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2010, 5:26am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #18 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 5:33am »

on Jul 4th, 2010, 5:23am, Fritzlein wrote:
TeamSpeak is an alternative, but it is not authenticated.

I believe Teamspeak allows authentication, although I'm not sure how it works. This is in the description of TS 3:

Quote:
TeamSpeak 3 introduces a new authentication system. Instead of using a combination of username and password, the TeamSpeak 3 Client creates unique identities which are stored and tracked by every TeamSpeak 3 Server you're connecting to. For administrators, this eliminates the need to manually register a username and password with the server and allows administrators to assign a set of permissions to your identity which can be automatically recalled by the server every time you connect. The end result is strengthened security and improved administration with eliminated username and password issues, effectively making the process of administering users far less tedious than ever before.
IP Logged
Sconibulus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4633

« Reply #19 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 5:36am »

That sounds like a good solution for the moment, and hopefully this will be completely resolved with a working delay before the next large event.

There is one problem however, in the event that someone doesn't authenticate within a certain period of time, is there a way to kick them out of the room? I'm thinking of situations that sometimes arise, at least on my end, of opening everything in preparation for the game, then having to go walk my dogs, eat, or similar and leave for a while.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 6:17am »

on Jul 4th, 2010, 5:36am, Sconibulus wrote:
There is one problem however, in the event that someone doesn't authenticate within a certain period of time, is there a way to kick them out of the room? I'm thinking of situations that sometimes arise, at least on my end, of opening everything in preparation for the game, then having to go walk my dogs, eat, or similar and leave for a while.

Logging in as Korhil and being unresponsive would be a good cover at the moment.  Smiley  I believe there is an authenticated admin user that can boot people, but that only Omar knows the password.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2010, 6:17am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 6:19am »

on Jul 4th, 2010, 5:33am, rbarreira wrote:
I believe Teamspeak allows authentication, although I'm not sure how it works.

Authenticating TeamSpeak was my preferred solution until someone suggested the 4-ply spectator delay, which should work even better.
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #22 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 7:04am »

on Jul 4th, 2010, 6:19am, Fritzlein wrote:

Authenticating TeamSpeak was my preferred solution until someone suggested the 4-ply spectator delay, which should work even better.

I hope people can also authenticate themselves by saying hello. My computer I rather slow and I can't have too many programs running at the same time. But I guess you'll easily recognize my voice, won't you?
IP Logged
Korhil
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #5160

« Reply #23 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 4:59pm »

on Jul 4th, 2010, 6:17am, Fritzlein wrote:

Logging in as Korhil and being unresponsive would be a good cover at the moment.  Smiley

I'll choose to take that as a compliment Smiley

Noone else would have anywhere near the amount of inactive time I have. Many other people do connect, but wont respond when I try to communicate with them. It's not just me!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.