Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 4:15am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Hard-fought win against Bomb2005Fast »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Hard-fought win against Bomb2005Fast
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hard-fought win against Bomb2005Fast  (Read 765 times)
FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

Hard-fought win against Bomb2005Fast
« on: Jul 7th, 2010, 10:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Battle Report: FireBorn vs bot_Bomb2005Fast

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/opengamewin.cgi?client=1&gameid=14 8472&role=v&side=w

I setup my pieces with a new unbalanced setup I've been testing out with EHH on one side, M on the other, and dogs in the center. Bomb responds with a 99of9-style setup with m against my M and hh against my EHH.

Early in the game, I launch an attack on both traps, perhaps a bit too aggressively. By 17s, I've got control of one trap, but I know his elephant has its eye on my camel, even from halfway across the board. It pushes its way through the crowd of pieces turn by turn, sacrificing a cat in the process, until it finally reaches its target.

(Then, Bomb wastes a few turns twiddling the camel onto the trap while I waste a few turns embedding my dog into the corner so that both my camel and dog get taken hostage by the Silver Elephant Roll Eyes, doh)

With 23s, Bomb stealthy gains some elephant mobility by moving his camel away. I respond with a somewhat useless 24g, attempting to barricade his camel with my rabbits and cat to force it back towards my elephant. He then breaks through my horses with his elephant and I'm forced to resign a horse to its fate, while at the same time making a halfhearted attempt to trap one of his horses, and failing.

I thought I had lost the game at this point. Bomb was up a horse for a cat, had my camel and dog hostage, had a cat frame on his other trap, and had a free camel and horse at his command - but little did I know the game was far from over!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He must have lacked either the foresight or the ability to get his camel over to the East wing to attack my horse, so instead Bomb brought his horse over to the West where my elephant was. I respond by jamming up his West trap with minor pieces and freeing my elephant to counter-attack his camel/horse attack. I manage to take his camel hostage but he saves it with his own elephant a few times, but in the process loses a rabbit back at his trap.

Eventually I take Bomb's camel hostage for real [37g] but neglect to stuff up his trap with his rabbit first, so he busts his dog through to save his camel and horse. I'm forced to give up the hostage, and after 38g we're at quite a strange position with three of his strong pieces in my corner of the board fighting my elephant and rabbits. But he realizes my dog threatens to free my camel, so he retreats his own dog back to his home ranks.

I finally stuff up Bomb's trap with his rabbit while he captures a rabbit at my home trap. With his trap stuffed, I proceeded to use my elephant to attack and eventually capture his horse, while he captures another rabbit with his camel in return.

After some jostling, I notice Bomb had moved his a8 rabbit West on 49s for some reason. This allows me to push his a7 rabbit North with my dog and finally free my camel! Throwing an enemy rabbit and dog behind it, I have it run for its life along the bank ranks towards Silver's remaining horse on the other wing, while scattering my other pieces away from the trap.  

Rather than pursue my camel, Bomb attempts to use his newly-freed elephant to sneak a rabbit down the C-file. I stop that from getting any further, but now I find my pieces in complete disarray! At 57g:
  • my horse is in danger
  • I've got a dog up in the West corner doing nothing
  • my camel is inching along the back ranks far from the protection of my elephant
  • I've got a cat just waiting to be captured in the middle of the board
  • and my elephant is stuck holding a dog hostage that would otherwise capture my other cat with a single push!

I eventually decide to concede my horse in exchange for Bomb's dog, then I set my sights on his weak West wing, aiming for a goal. I ignore my camel being captured by his elephant. It's all or nothing, baby! I capture a rabbit, he captures my camel. I capture his remaining dog and threaten goal. He blocks goal with his cat, and I capture it as well.

Finally, it's down to EDDCC vs emh. But I have all the goal threats Cool. This one's in the can!
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2010, 11:09pm by FireBorn » IP Logged
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

Re: Hard-fought win against Bomb2005Fast
« Reply #1 on: Jul 8th, 2010, 2:11am »

Nice fight and especially your goal attacks!

However after 38g Eb3s Eb2n hc2w Cd5w you should have had live much more easier.

IP Logged
FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

« Reply #2 on: Jul 8th, 2010, 8:39am »

Yes, that's a good move. I saw it while I was writing that post, but I must've been too overwhelmed and defensive to see it while I was playing.
IP Logged
JoeHead
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #4979

« Reply #3 on: Jul 8th, 2010, 9:25am »

Very sincere congratulations!!
You have climbed the ladder, new are has come in your Arimaa life. You are now in higher class and you deserve it.

(Now you are responsible for spreading the word of Arimaa, create live tournaments, live clubs ...)
 Wink
Once again congratulations Ladder Climber!
IP Logged
FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

« Reply #4 on: Jul 8th, 2010, 10:27am »

Thanks! Although, it's a bit late since I finished the ladder a few games ago. I still appreciate the congratulations!
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: Jul 10th, 2010, 12:59pm »

Nice comeback Ken. Very nice summary of the game also.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.