Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 10:48am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Re: So we burn the village in order to save it!!! »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Re: So we burn the village in order to save it!!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: So we burn the village in order to save it!!!  (Read 3165 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« on: Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:46pm, Arimabuff wrote:
If you think that and I am specifically addressing Fritz here by withholding your commentary you're doing the Arimaa community a service then you couldn't be more wrong.

OK, now how about ranting some against Jean?  He gave exactly as much commentary this round as I did.  Please tell him how he is burning down the village and ruining Arimaa for everyone.

I never said that I thought I was doing the community a favor.  I merely said that I would not enjoy giving live commentary knowing that it could be used by cheaters.  I don't expect you to thank me for not giving commentary, but I would expect you to respect my decision and not take inaction as an affront.
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2010, 1:14pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

jdb
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #214

« Reply #1 on: Jul 3rd, 2010, 1:13pm »

I have to agree with Arimabuff on this.

There was a single isolated incident. The guilty party has repented.  Adding delays to live games and not giving commentary seems like an over reaction to me.

For most people, arimaa is a fun hobby. The live commentary seemed to be a very popular to enjoy arimaa.
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2010, 1:14pm by jdb » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 3rd, 2010, 1:21pm »

It's one thing to say that commentary is valuable and another thing to accuse me of burning down the village.  In case you didn't notice, I am really upset.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #3 on: Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:36pm »

Just to clarify, I don't think anyone else has anything to say against you Karl. We (I think I can speak for all others here) all love what you do for the arimaa community and respect your point of view.

on Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:57pm, Fritzlein wrote:
OK, now how about ranting some against Jean?  He gave exactly as much commentary this round as I did.  Please tell him how he is burning down the village and ruining Arimaa for everyone.

Smiley Not only that, but also I haven't been able to deal with my book publishing before leaving for Chile tonight. I hope that I'll be able to give more arimaa action when I'm back in September. Otherwise I'll have to admit that I'm both burning down the village and flooding it Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:39pm by chessandgo » IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #4 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 12:44am »

I don't see why the drama given that people have already devised a good solution -- delaying the moves for spectators (even if the solution is not fully implemented yet... or is it?).

In any case, Arimabuff, even if you think Fritzlein is overreacting you should tone it down a bit IMO. Especially for someone who's had his share of overreactions in the recent past...
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 2:23am »

Thanks for the kind words, Jean.  Best of luck getting your book together eventually; it will be a great gift to the Arimaa community when you are done.

Just to clarify, I understand how someone could suggest a move in chat, see that move appear in the game they are commentating, and not get distracted by thoughts that the player could have picked it up from the chat archive.  I respect that choice, that mindset, and the contribution live commentary makes to the community.  I apologize if I have said otherwise.  I don't intend to impose my personal choice on others.
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #6 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 3:16am »

on Jul 4th, 2010, 12:44am, rbarreira wrote:
I don't see why the drama given that people have already devised a good solution -- delaying the moves for spectators (even if the solution is not fully implemented yet... or is it?).

In any case, Arimabuff, even if you think Fritzlein is overreacting you should tone it down a bit IMO. Especially for someone who's had his share of overreactions in the recent past...

I guess it's easy to be misunderstood when you're dealing with a certain type of people.  

Though for the rest of you my point is that I value Fritz's commentary and think that losing it is a tragedy for the Arimaa community as a whole.  

And I definitely value it more than the remote possibility that some OTHER jerk will use it to cheat in a contest where there's absolutely nothing to gain except maybe a fleeting moment of fame among a couple dozens of people.  

So Fritz abstain from any live commentary when there's something at stake like one of Arimaa's prized contests or the annual challenges but for something as innocuous as this I would plead that you reconsider your position. The hypothetic harm that you prevent by not commenting is far lesser than the real harm that you do. And let me repeat that this is a testament to how valuable that commentary is.
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #7 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 3:29am »

on Jul 4th, 2010, 3:16am, Arimabuff wrote:

I guess it's easy to be misunderstood when you're dealing with a certain type of people.  

Though for the rest of you my point is that I value Fritz's commentary and think that losing it is a tragedy for the Arimaa community as a whole.  

I thought your point was stated very clearly as being that Fritz's commentary is valuable AND that he was being unreasonable and paranoid by choosing not to provide it.

But I must have misunderstood it due to being a certain type of person...
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #8 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 4:21am »

on Jul 4th, 2010, 3:29am, rbarreira wrote:

I thought your point was stated very clearly as being that Fritz's commentary is valuable AND that he was being unreasonable and paranoid by choosing not to provide it.

But I must have misunderstood it due to being a certain type of person...

Yeah, there's definitely something that you missed and here it is: I am not about to let some random jerk tell me to tone it down without reaction.

If it causes me to be ejected from this site then so be it. I think I am starting to get sick of it anyway.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 4:28am »

on Jul 4th, 2010, 3:16am, Arimabuff wrote:
The hypothetic harm that you prevent by not commenting is far lesser than the real harm that you do.

Thank you Patrick, for restating your concern without reference to my "rampant paranoia" or to my burning things down.  I am honored that you value my commentary.

Even so, I wish that you would reconsider the perspective that leads you to say that I am doing "real harm" to the community.  I do not think this is fair.  How is it that if I don't give commentary I am harming the community, but anyone else in the community who gives no commentary does not come in for your criticism?  Why do you not refer to the "real harm" than Jean is doing, and has been doing for months?  Your implication that I owe you does nothing to persuade me; quite the reverse.
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #10 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 4:39am »

on Jul 4th, 2010, 4:28am, Fritzlein wrote:

Thank you Patrick, for restating your concern without reference to my "rampant paranoia" or to my burning things down.  I am honored that you value my commentary.

Even so, I wish that you would reconsider the perspective that leads you to say that I am doing "real harm" to the community.  I do not think this is fair.  How is it that if I don't give commentary I am harming the community, but anyone else in the community who gives no commentary does not come in for your criticism?  Why do you not refer to the "real harm" than Jean is doing, and has been doing for months?  Your implication that I owe you does nothing to persuade me; quite the reverse.

Fritz, you don't want me to lie to you, do you? If I tell you that you're overreacting it is because that's what I think.

I consider you a great man and next to Omar the greatest contributor to the game of Arimaa but that doesn't mean that I can't disagree with you now does it?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 4:53am »

on Jul 4th, 2010, 4:39am, Arimabuff wrote:
Fritz, you don't want me to lie to you, do you? If I tell you that you're overreacting it is because that's what I think.

There is a difference between saying I am over-reacting and accusing me of rampant paranoia.

There is a difference between saying I could be doing something excellent for the community and saying that if I don't do it I am burning the village down.

I am seeking acknowledgement from you that I am not harming the Arimaa community, and it is unfair of you to say that I am.  If such an acknowledgement on your part would be lying, i.e. if you are genuinely convinced that you have a right to accuse me of being destructive, we have little left to discuss.

Quote:
I consider you a great man and next to Omar the greatest contributor to the game of Arimaa but that doesn't mean that I can't disagree with you now does it?

Again, I thank you for the compliment.  You have my full permission to disagree with me.  If you granted me an equal right to disagree with you, you could hardly demand additional contributions of me in the manner that you have done in this thread.  Jean disagrees with me, yet respects my decision.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2010, 4:58am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #12 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 4:55am »

For those of us who have not been following closely enough to know what started this cascade of events, could someone please link or summarize?

The only reason I ask is that it sounds like someone has violated the circle of trust & trustworthiness that we have previously enjoyed in the arimaa community, and that would indeed be serious news that we would need to form a response to.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 5:05am »

on Jul 4th, 2010, 4:55am, 99of9 wrote:
For those of us who have not been following closely enough to know what started this cascade of events, could someone please link or summarize?

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=2010awl;action=display ;num=1277067962

Summary: 722caasi won his World League game against Nombril by listening in to live chat and using moves suggested by spectators.  I have said that I will no longer give live commentary until the site has built in a greater assurance that players can't use my commentary to cheat.  Several people are of the opinion that the value of live commentary is greater than the likely harm of cheating.  Omar is attempting to set up the server to broadcast live games with a 4-ply delay to all observers except the two players.

To this summary let me add that yesterday I was chatting live about Nevermind vs. Harren, and went so far as to comment on the then-current position.  However, as soon as I made a suggestion that was actually played, I could tell I would not be comfortable giving live commentary any more, for exactly the reasons I suspected.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2010, 5:06am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #14 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 5:06am »

on Jul 4th, 2010, 4:53am, Fritzlein wrote:

There is a difference between saying I am over-reacting and accusing me of rampant paranoia.

There is a difference between saying I could be doing something excellent for the community and saying that if I don't do it I am burning the village down.

I am seeking acknowledgement from you that I am not harming the Arimaa community, and it is unfair of you to say that I am.  If such an acknowledgement on your part would be lying, i.e. if you are genuinely convinced that you have a right to accuse me of being destructive, we have little left to discuss.

Again, I thank you for the compliment.  You have my full permission to disagree with me.  If you granted me an equal right to disagree with you, you could hardly demand additional contributions of me in the manner that you have done in this thread.  Jean disagrees with me, yet respects my decision.

Ok let me rephrase it then. Your commentaries are as potent and addictive as crack cocaine and when you withhold them, then you put people like me in a withdrawal state. Wink

So yes you could be doing something excellent to the community if you resumed commentating in the future but if you don't you'll still be the second best contributor of the game.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2010, 5:08am by Arimabuff » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.