Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 2nd, 2021, 6:23pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « An alternate piece set »


   Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   An alternate piece set
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: An alternate piece set  (Read 9710 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru
*****



Arimaa player #706

   
Email

Gender: male
Posts: 5928
Re: An alternate piece set
« Reply #30 on: Jun 8th, 2011, 12:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 7th, 2011, 3:04am, thenoviceoof wrote:
@Fritzlein - there's a reason I licensed these under CC-BY. By all means, use them! (Here's a refresher on what CC-BY means if you need it)

I'm not even contemplating a second book, or a second edition of my first one, so I will have to content myself with trying to persuade chessandgo to use these images with his book instead.
IP Logged

thenoviceoof
Forum Junior Member
**



Arimaa player #6255

   


Gender: male
Posts: 9
Re: An alternate piece set
« Reply #31 on: Jun 8th, 2011, 3:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks to @Nazgand and @mistre this update gives y'all, among other things, fatter rabbits.
 

 

 
After reading @Eltripas' comment, I realized there really wasn't a reason not to have a tongue, as long as it wasn't freakishly long like originally. I think this iteration is understated just enough to be obviously different from the cat's whiskers, but helpfully reminiscent of a panting dog.
 
Other changes: I tried toning down the camel fuzz, and tweaked the cat's eye. Seriously looks like both are sub pixel changes, but it should be visible with bigger icons, like at 60x60.
 
I'll update this post when I'm done updating the page, or I'll just put out another update.
 
EDIT: page updated to version 4 (this one) the one with the downloads and stuff
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2011, 12:38pm by thenoviceoof » IP Logged
Nazgand
Forum Guru
*****



Arimaa player #6461

   
Email

Gender: male
Posts: 87
Re: An alternate piece set
« Reply #32 on: Jun 8th, 2011, 8:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I must say, I really like this last one. Especially the rabbits Cheesy I think you really did a good job making all pieces easily recognizable (except possibly the horse).
The only thing that bugs me now is that the horses seem to be the odd one out(what with not having any curves). After doing a Google image search of "horse", I decided that the base of the horse's neck is too thin, or the neck too long. I suggest shortening the neck 15% or so, then scaling up the picture to result in a larger horse head. This would require a rework of the mane though, so perhaps thickening the lower neck would be better(it looks like the current neck is long enough to widen with the shoulder muscles). I'm not really sure what the best route is.
 
When you've done your final revision, I'd like to see this on the website. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to program the JS client to handle another piece set. In fact, if given the opportunity, I would do it. Smiley
 
Edit: I'm also glad to see the dog tongues back, though I agree that previously they had been excessive in length. Brilliant work, mate.
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2011, 8:55am by Nazgand » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru
*****



Arimaa player #706

   
Email

Gender: male
Posts: 5928
Re: An alternate piece set
« Reply #33 on: Jun 8th, 2011, 1:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 8th, 2011, 8:51am, Nazgand wrote:
Brilliant work, mate.

I second that, although now the rabbits have gotten a bit too close in size to the cats, and could stand to be scaled down a smidgin.  I like the rabbit shape better than before, though.
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2011, 1:58pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

thenoviceoof
Forum Junior Member
**



Arimaa player #6255

   


Gender: male
Posts: 9
Re: An alternate piece set
« Reply #34 on: Jun 11th, 2011, 12:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

@Nazgand - I thought that a thicker horse neck would be nice, too, but I can't figure out how to do it. If I do the lazy thing and just thicken the neck, then the horse's head looks closer and closer to standing up, which normal horse heads don't do. Trying to move it the other way means pretty much taking out the mane, so I'm leaving the horse alone.
 
@Fritzlein - Agreed. Smaller fat rabbits.
 

 

 
Version 4.1 because I changed only the rabbit.
IP Logged
Nazgand
Forum Guru
*****



Arimaa player #6461

   
Email

Gender: male
Posts: 87
Re: An alternate piece set
« Reply #35 on: Jun 11th, 2011, 4:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have an alternate thought then. Notice the camel shows more than the head. This, I assume is because the camel neck is vertical(and the hump is important). Because the horse neck+head is more horizontal, perhaps you could shrink the horse and add legs(starting a little below the point directly left of the bottom of the mane). This is a more drastic change; thus, I am quite uncertain that it will be better.
It amazes me that such slight changes increase aesthetics so.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2011, 4:53pm by Nazgand » IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru
*****




Arimaa player #4450

   


Gender: male
Posts: 883
Re: An alternate piece set
« Reply #36 on: Jun 11th, 2011, 5:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 11th, 2011, 4:52pm, Nazgand wrote:
I have an alternate thought then. Notice the camel shows more than the head. This, I assume is because the camel neck is vertical(and the hump is important). Because the horse neck+head is more horizontal, perhaps you could shrink the horse and add legs(starting a little below the point directly left of the bottom of the mane). This is a more drastic change; thus, I am quite uncertain that it will be better.
It amazes me that such slight changes increase aesthetics so.

I disagree ... that would lead to dog and cat changes as well. ... smaller animal ... more of the body shown priciple. But I like cats and dogs as they are ...
IP Logged

Nazgand
Forum Guru
*****



Arimaa player #6461

   
Email

Gender: male
Posts: 87
improvement
« Reply #37 on: Jun 11th, 2011, 8:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yes, as I said, I am quite uncertain it will be better. By my very nature, I offer alternatives I think might be an improvment, even if I think it unlikely.
IP Logged
robinz
Forum Guru
*****



Arimaa player #6110

   


Gender: male
Posts: 65
Re: An alternate piece set
« Reply #38 on: Jun 12th, 2011, 7:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Am I the only person who keeps falling for the kind-of-optical-illusion where I think the elephant is a swan for half a second or so, before my brain notices the tusks and reinterprets the swan's neck as a trunk, and its body as the elephant's head?
 
 
...
 
*long, confused silence*
 
...
 
OK, I guess it's just me then  Huh (But I do have this experience every time I look at them, for half a second or so.)
 
(Seriously, though, nice work on the set  Smiley)
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru
*****




Arimaa player #4450

   


Gender: male
Posts: 883
Re: An alternate piece set
« Reply #39 on: Jun 12th, 2011, 8:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 12th, 2011, 7:05am, robinz wrote:
Am I the only person who keeps falling for the kind-of-optical-illusion where I think the elephant is a swan for half a second or so, before my brain notices the tusks and reinterprets the swan's neck as a trunk, and its body as the elephant's head?
 
 
...
 
*long, confused silence*
 
...
 
OK, I guess it's just me then  Huh (But I do have this experience every time I look at them, for half a second or so.)
 
(Seriously, though, nice work on the set  Smiley)

 
So would you prefer phant looking into it's trunk?
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2011, 8:11am by Hippo » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru
*****



Arimaa player #706

   
Email

Gender: male
Posts: 5928
Re: An alternate piece set
« Reply #40 on: Jun 12th, 2011, 11:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 12th, 2011, 7:05am, robinz wrote:
Am I the only person who keeps falling for the kind-of-optical-illusion where I think the elephant is a swan for half a second or so, before my brain notices the tusks and reinterprets the swan's neck as a trunk, and its body as the elephant's head?

In the set of pieces used in the game room, have you ever seen the elephant as a rooster?  It's always dangerous to point out alternate ways of seeing.  In college my Chinese teacher showed me the rabbit in the moon, and ever since I have had difficulty seeing the man in the moon.  Now there is a rabbit there for me by default.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2011, 11:47am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

robinz
Forum Guru
*****



Arimaa player #6110

   


Gender: male
Posts: 65
Re: An alternate piece set
« Reply #41 on: Jun 12th, 2011, 12:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 12th, 2011, 11:45am, Fritzlein wrote:

In the set of pieces used in the game room, have you ever seen the elephant as a rooster?  It's always dangerous to point out alternate ways of seeing.  

 
Lol, I fear you're right. I'd never seen that before, but having just checked and stared for a while, I see exactly what you mean - I just hope it now doesn't happen automatically for me  Smiley
 
(Incidentally, as regards the elephant-as-swan in the set under discussion here, I find it much more convincing for the black elephant than the white one. I doubt it's actually to do with the colour, but to do with the direction the pieces are facing - for some reason I'm more inclined to see a swan swimming to the left than to the right. I almost included this in my previous post, but decided you'd all think I was mad enough without giving further evidence  Huh)
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2011, 12:06pm by robinz » IP Logged
thenoviceoof
Forum Junior Member
**



Arimaa player #6255

   


Gender: male
Posts: 9
Re: An alternate piece set
« Reply #42 on: Jun 12th, 2011, 2:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

@Nazgand - Not digging the addition of legs, but thanks for the thought.
 
@robinz - The trunk markings kill it for me, but if I look at it just right...  
 
At the same time, though, different trunk configurations don't scream ELEPHANT in the same way to me.
 
Also, swans are usually white, so it might be color? Maybe?
 
IP Logged
lightvector
Forum Guru
*****



Arimaa player #2543

   


Gender: male
Posts: 197
Re: An alternate piece set
« Reply #43 on: Jun 12th, 2011, 3:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Fritz: Yes, definitely!  
 
I actually *still* see the gameroom elephant as a rooster, if I don't look closely. I just call it an elephant because everyone else does.  Wink
IP Logged
alih
Forum Newbie
*



Arimaa player #7087

   


Gender: male
Posts: 2
Re: An alternate piece set
« Reply #44 on: Jan 17th, 2012, 6:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everybody,
 
I've made yet another set, aiming for simplicity. Used thenoviceoof's colors for silver, but lightened gold rabbits instead of darkening them.
 
Here's version 1.0:

 
Zip with SVGs
 
What do you think?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.