Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 2:00pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Rescuing Arimaa sets »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Rescuing Arimaa sets
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rescuing Arimaa sets  (Read 7159 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Rescuing Arimaa sets
« on: May 25th, 2011, 7:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Z-Man Games is consolidating all their games to one warehouse and since the sale of Arimaa sets have not been as good as expected they will not be getting moved to the new warehouse. Zev has offered to sell the remaining 7800 sets to me at a very low price. The sets which aren't sold will be getting trashed. Even at the low price I won't be able to buy them all. If anyone is interested in buying some (in packs of 6) please contact me. I won't post the price here, in case someone wants to buy and resell these, but it's very good.
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/contact/

I'm really sad to see this happening. I can understand Z-Mans situation though; they don't want to continue paying for storage if the sets aren't moving fast enough.

But they are brand new sets; I would much rather see them find good homes then getting trashed. If anyone has any ideas on how to save them, please post.

BTW: I have to let Z-Man know by June 1st. So time is short.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2011, 7:31pm by omar » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Rescuing Arimaa sets
« Reply #1 on: May 25th, 2011, 11:49pm »

Ah this is sad indeed.  If 10000 were manufactured and 7800 remain, surely less than 2000 were sold, with the remainder being given away for promotion.  Back-of-the-napkin math says ZMan has lost over thirty thousand dollars from his foray into Arimaa.  I hate to see someone who believed in Arimaa and supported Arimaa lose so much money because of it.  Thank you ZMan!  Sorry it didn't work out!

Omar, let me guess that, if you are hoping for anyone to take shipment of any significant number of these orphaned sets, you would at least have to grant them the right to resell in any way and at any price.
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2011, 12:06am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #2 on: May 26th, 2011, 3:54am »

on May 25th, 2011, 7:30pm, omar wrote:
I won't post the price here, in case someone wants to buy and resell these, but it's very good.

Hmmm, if one could buy a bunch of them and resell them it would be a good thing for the Arimaa community, I guess...
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2011, 3:55am by UruramTururam » IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #3 on: May 26th, 2011, 3:56am »

I would buy some were it not for likely customs fees I'd get charged with...
IP Logged
Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

« Reply #4 on: May 26th, 2011, 8:30am »

Is it part of the deal to buy all of them or you can buy all that you want at that price?
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 26th, 2011, 2:03pm »

on May 25th, 2011, 7:30pm, omar wrote:
But they are brand new sets; I would much rather see them find good homes then getting trashed. If anyone has any ideas on how to save them, please post.

BTW: I have to let Z-Man know by June 1st. So time is short.

It’s really disappointing to hear that not only have sales been poor but that the sets will be destroyed  Cry I’ll buy a couple dozen games (or more if they’re really cheap) and give them to local schools.  If a bunch of pre-teen Torontonians join the next World Championship then I’ll feel proud to have done my part  Wink
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #6 on: May 26th, 2011, 3:23pm »

It's too bad there wasn't a bit more time left. A Dutch auction running over a period of a month seems like it would have been a good way to try and distribute a good number before needing to dispose of the rest.

Janzert
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2011, 3:23pm by Janzert » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #7 on: May 26th, 2011, 7:48pm »

Thanks everyone who contacted me. I'll keep everyone posted on how things turn out.
IP Logged
Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

« Reply #8 on: Oct 17th, 2011, 11:56am »

I'm disappointed I missed this opportunity, but I'm curious how successfully saving copies of Arimaa were? I was thinking how somebody getting multiple copies of this could actually help promote Arimaa by hosting a local Arimaa tournament somewhere public to spread awareness.
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #9 on: Oct 17th, 2011, 1:23pm »

Oh I have missed that as well.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17th, 2011, 1:44pm »

I expect that in the long run, the fact that Z-Man is no longer selling Arimaa sets will make them hard to come by.  In the short run, however, it hasn't happened yet.  On Board Game Geek, I have a watch on Arimaa.  An Arimaa set seems to be put up for sale or trade every couple of weeks.  From this I infer that there is still plenty of supply of Arimaa sets floating around out there for anyone who wants to set up a club or acquire one for whatever reason.
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #11 on: Oct 29th, 2011, 3:01pm »

So how many of the sets have been trashed finally?
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #12 on: Nov 10th, 2011, 3:13pm »

Thanks to some relatives that helped out. I was able rescue all the sets.

If anyone is interested in ordering the sets at wholesale prices, send me a message through the contact page:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/contact/

You would of course be able to resell the sets at whatever price you want. The number of sets ordered has to be in increments of 6 since they are packed 6 per case.  

If anyone wants to order these not to resell, but to give to friends or to schools, be sure to mention that when you contact me.
IP Logged
Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

« Reply #13 on: Nov 10th, 2011, 3:58pm »

I'm glad to hear none of them are trashed. Maybe after the holidays are over I'll have extra money and be able to contact you for a case or two. Smiley
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 11th, 2011, 6:18pm »

on Nov 10th, 2011, 3:13pm, omar wrote:
Thanks to some relatives that helped out. I was able rescue all the sets.

Wow, that's great news for Arimaa!  The existence of physical sets definitely helps popularize the game.  Playing Arimaa on a chess board gives the impression of Arimaa being a chess variant, which is a net negative.  The more Arimaa sets are in circulation, the more folks will take Arimaa seriously in its own right.

The only downside is that someone is on the hook for a lot of money.  I hope you and your relatives don't take it on the chin.  I still believe that Arimaa could bust out at any time and become a huge fad.  The game itself is not played out, the Challenge has not been won, and the elements are there for Arimaa to be "discovered" by society at large and enjoy a popularity explosion.  If that ever happens, it will be nice to be sitting on a big pile of sets.  Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.