Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 12:17am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Jean's book has been released !!! »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Jean's book has been released !!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Jean's book has been released !!!  (Read 10872 times)
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

Re: Jean's book has been released !!!
« Reply #15 on: Apr 28th, 2012, 4:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thank you all Smiley I'm glad the book is finally out, it was long overdue.

As I said in the BGG thread in response to Fritz mentioning the French sentence structures, I'll be updating the pdf version. So I'd be delighted to have your feedback on things you think could be improved (be they english-related or arimaa-related or ...)
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #16 on: Apr 28th, 2012, 12:08pm »

Thank you so much for making your book publicly available. A specific point concerning its actual content:

The position shown on page 24 is used to demonstrate a tactical trick with which one saves material by rendering the capture threat harmless because it could then be answered by a false protection capture. However, there is still 1g Ec4e Ed4e Ee4e Ra3e to consider. At first, it looks like it would lead to (material) disaster in light of the obvious 1s He3n ed3e He4n ee3n, but after releasing my bot on the resulting position, it comes up with 2g Rg4n Ef4n He5n He6e(!), muddling the whole thing with a credible-looking goal attack.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #17 on: Apr 28th, 2012, 12:40pm »

Oh, I messed up there Sad The original position had the Ra3 on a2 (or maybe c1), so that defending with the Elephant on f4 would lose either the Horse or the Dog on c3, but I changed it for the sake of not letting silver have a strong attack around the weakened c3 after the solution move. Major oops. And thanks for the analysis after the Horse push to e5. I'll have to find a better position I guess.

It reminds me a (short) discussion with megajester on designing positions (for a video of his). It's always obvious when we first have the idea of what we want to stress, but whenever we come up with a position, there are always other things going on.
IP Logged

hyperpape
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7113

« Reply #18 on: Apr 30th, 2012, 8:23am »

I found the reference "thinking again..." on page 42 to be a bit hard to parse. It wasn't immediately clear that you meant the position from the previous page.  

Also, if I have a game number and want to see the comments on it, how can I find it? I can find the game itself but not the comments so far.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2012, 8:42am by hyperpape » IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #19 on: Apr 30th, 2012, 8:49am »

on Apr 30th, 2012, 8:23am, hyperpape wrote:

Also, if I have a game number and want to see the comments on it, how can I find it? I can find the game itself but not the comments so far.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/comments.cgi?gid=XXXX

Replace XXXX with the game id.
IP Logged
browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #20 on: Apr 30th, 2012, 8:55pm »

Thanks for being awesome and providing your book for free.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #21 on: May 1st, 2012, 4:44am »

on Apr 30th, 2012, 8:23am, hyperpape wrote:
I found the reference "thinking again..." on page 42 to be a bit hard to parse. It wasn't immediately clear that you meant the position from the previous page.  

Yes, in the whole chapter Gold is the hostaging side and Silver the hostaged side, and the fact that the example game on page 42 has colours reversed is kind of annoying. If you have a suggestion for a clearer way to warn the reader about this, feel free!  
IP Logged

hyperpape
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7113

« Reply #22 on: May 1st, 2012, 10:30am »

"Returning to the example from the previous page"? Or "returning to the case where the gold elephant has a camel hostage on h3" if you want a more generic setup.  

I think noting the reversal actually just complicates things.  

I didn't say it in the first post, but I'm enjoying this book tremendously. At my level, I can still grasp the examples, and they're sufficiently concrete that I think I can make use of them in my games.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2012, 10:45am by hyperpape » IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #23 on: May 2nd, 2012, 7:54am »

Originally I wasn't mentioning this issue, but my proof-readers felt it was better to make it clear. I feel like the most important is that the reader should not be confused as to the role of Gold and Silver throughout this section.
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2012, 7:58am by chessandgo » IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #24 on: May 3rd, 2012, 12:25pm »

on Apr 28th, 2012, 12:40pm, chessandgo wrote:
Oh, I messed up there Sad The original position had the Ra3 on a2 (or maybe c1), so that defending with the Elephant on f4 would lose either the Horse or the Dog on c3, but I changed it for the sake of not letting silver have a strong attack around the weakened c3 after the solution move. Major oops. And thanks for the analysis after the Horse push to e5. I'll have to find a better position I guess.

I think the example is still fine and that the "solution" is indeed the best move in that position; you just have to rewrite the text such that the move Ec4e Ed4e Ee4e Ra3e is addressed somewhere, even if that involves you pulling rank as the author and doing a bit of handwaving (in order not to stray too far from the topic). I believe that that would still be better than the move being left out altogether, which, evidently, can confuse anyone realizing its possibility, thus undermining the pedagogical effectiveness of the example.
IP Logged
UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #25 on: May 18th, 2012, 7:28am »

I've read the pdf. Now I'm buying the paper version to study it page by page. Reading Fritz's book improved my playing level and I'm sure reading Jean's book will also do so.
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2012, 7:29am by UruramTururam » IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #26 on: Jul 4th, 2012, 1:45pm »

I waited for this book for so long but I didn't manage to be there at the release date. Embarassed
Thank you for such a nice surprise ^__^
I'll be back with feedback...
IP Logged
davebliz
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #12502

« Reply #27 on: Aug 12th, 2023, 11:18pm »

Are the PDFs still available?  I've already ordered the paperback but would also like to have digital copies.  Thanks.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.