Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 30th, 2024, 12:15pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Fritz's commentary »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2009 One vs TheMob
(Moderators: supersamu, RonWeasley)
   Fritz's commentary
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fritz's commentary  (Read 13050 times)
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

Re: Fritz's commentary
« Reply #105 on: Jun 6th, 2010, 2:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 5th, 2010, 6:09am, Fritzlein wrote:

It's funny that in the Mob game, a cat capture is exactly what giving up my camel as a hostage eventually cost me.

It's interesting that you thought your position was losing after 10s. As far as I remember, all the way until 19s we were very unsure about how to assess the position. We sure would gladly have traded this camel hostage for a cat, and maybe even for just the promise of an equal position Smiley
IP Logged

Harren
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3619

« Reply #106 on: Jun 6th, 2010, 2:37am »

I haven't really paid attention to this game before, but I'll surely do so soon; with all the comments, from both fritzlein and the Mob, this is a very well studied game. I'm sure I'll learn something from it Smiley

So the Mob has won twice from the One. Is it perhaps an idea for the next time to pitch the Mob against two or three persons? I would for instance be very interested to find out how the Mob will play against the combined forces of Fritzlein and Chessandgo.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #107 on: Jun 6th, 2010, 7:30am »

on Jun 6th, 2010, 2:37am, Harren wrote:
So the Mob has won twice from the One. Is it perhaps an idea for the next time to pitch the Mob against two or three persons? I would for instance be very interested to find out how the Mob will play against the combined forces of Fritzlein and Chessandgo.

That's an interesting suggestion.  I would also be curious about the Mob's strength, as well as the strength of my partnership with chessandgo.  (What move would we make if we couldn't agree?  But even if we simply alternated making moves, having someone to discuss with would be hugely helpful.)

I'm afraid, however, that the Mob would not be large enough or enthusiastic enough to compete.  It appears from the discussion that the Mob was skirting a minimum participation at times even during the last game.  Size and morale are very important to the Mob's competitiveness.  Unless there is some change in Mob psychology, we may have seen Arimaa's last Mob game for a long time.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #108 on: Jun 6th, 2010, 7:32am »

on Jun 6th, 2010, 2:26am, chessandgo wrote:
It's interesting that you thought your position was losing after 10s. As far as I remember, all the way until 19s we were very unsure about how to assess the position. We sure would gladly have traded this camel hostage for a cat, and maybe even for just the promise of an equal position Smiley

I guess I also felt worse about being down a cat because it was more certainly bad, whereas the camel hostage could have turned good if the Mob had misplayed badly enough.  Still, there was some dichotomy of opinion as I considered myself in much worse shape all along than the Mob did.
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2010, 7:32am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #109 on: Jun 6th, 2010, 11:05am »

on Jun 6th, 2010, 7:30am, Fritzlein wrote:

That's an interesting suggestion.  I would also be curious about the Mob's strength, as well as the strength of my partnership with chessandgo.  (What move would we make if we couldn't agree?  But even if we simply alternated making moves, having someone to discuss with would be hugely helpful.)

I'd definitely love it Smiley I learnt things as the One, learnt much more as part of the Mob, and I'd expect playing in tandem with Fritz would be engrossing as well. But:

on Jun 6th, 2010, 7:30am, Fritzlein wrote:

I'm afraid, however, that the Mob would not be large enough or enthusiastic enough to compete.  It appears from the discussion that the Mob was skirting a minimum participation at times even during the last game.  Size and morale are very important to the Mob's competitiveness.  Unless there is some change in Mob psychology, we may have seen Arimaa's last Mob game for a long time.

This (unfortunately).
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #110 on: Jun 6th, 2010, 11:35am »

on Jun 6th, 2010, 7:32am, Fritzlein wrote:

Still, there was some dichotomy of opinion as I considered myself in much worse shape all along than the Mob did.

Indeed. Btw, what is your current opinion of the game before 19s? What do you think of just keeping the position basically as it stands, like 19s de5ss ra6ss or rb8ss? I would fail to feel confident as gold after such a move...
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #111 on: Jun 6th, 2010, 12:50pm »

on Jun 6th, 2010, 11:35am, chessandgo wrote:
Btw, what is your current opinion of the game before 19s? What do you think of just keeping the position basically as it stands, like 19s de5ss ra6ss or rb8ss? I would fail to feel confident as gold after such a move...

It seemed strategically quite hopeless for me with your horse running around behind my home traps.  That would free your camel to come to e3 as well, so I would by no means obtain shared control of f3 and a roving elephant.  In previous moves your camel's options were limited by the possibility of me flipping it towards f6.  Likewise, after your horse breakthrough I could no longer threaten to flip cats towards capture in f6 if your horse could cover it.  There remains a threat of my exposed little pieces being captured in c3.  And if nothing else sharp there is a goal threat brewing in the northwest with the gold horse being the strongest local piece around c6, such that you can threaten me there while I can't threaten you.

I guess since you see the position as so double-edged while I see it as strategically won for Gold, I should take another look at it.
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2010, 12:50pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #112 on: Jun 7th, 2010, 4:50am »

I see what you mean. Still, I think you can attack around c3  while keeping gold's caMel away from f3, so it depends on whose attack is the strongest (but yeah, I'd take gold over silver).
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.