Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 2:55am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « bot_bomb update »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   bot_bomb update
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: bot_bomb update  (Read 5595 times)
fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

Re: bot_bomb update
« Reply #30 on: Dec 7th, 2004, 1:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

minor changes today.  Reduced the value of framing a camel, limited depth of quiescence search.  This version seems stronger, but it's still not attacking.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #31 on: Dec 7th, 2004, 9:35am »

It's too bad that speedy won't attack.  Maybe its evaluation function is picking up on the fact that attacking is too dangerous, i.e. disadvantageous to the attacker and advantageous for the defender.  Nah, I'm just kidding to call it a "fact"; to the contrary I slightly believe and fervently hope that multi-piece attacks can be advantageous to the attacker if done correctly.

The most glaring problem for speedy is diddling around against a passive opponent, and possibly losing by formula after eight hours.  This can potentially be solved by single-piece attacks.  That is to say, by being more aggresive with the lone elephant in the opening, and when the elephants are tied up, being more aggressive with the lone camel.  The horses wouldn't absolutely have to be brought into the attacking picture, even though it would be more fun if they were.  

Perhaps there is a way to detect passivity by the opponent, e.g. if the opponent has no captures the next move, generating a threat is given priority over consolidating the position.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2004, 9:38am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

« Reply #32 on: Dec 7th, 2004, 10:57am »

I already have code to detect passivity and force an attack, since someone already made a "wait 8 hours" bot.
IP Logged
fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

« Reply #33 on: Dec 9th, 2004, 10:46pm »

reduced value of hostage horse, added evaluation of dominated forward traps.  fixed frame bug.  Didn't do anything yet about reversible moves.

I'd like to see some games with clueless...
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #34 on: Dec 9th, 2004, 11:53pm »

Do the changes have anything to do with the way speedy slugged it out with me in the opening of game 10200?  Speedy normally leaves my camel alone and comes back to defend the trap with its elephant, although it was a slightly different opening this time.  Anyway, whatever the reason, I enjoyed the variety.  I thought about defending the camel, but then decided that even if technically correct, it would make the game less interesting than attacking full speed ahead.

Furthermore, since a significant amount of Bomb's code is specific to the camel, I feel it plays worse when one camel is gone, especially in an endgame.  Not that this ever got to an endgame, but it was in the back of my mind that it might help me out to unbalance things, as long as I got reasonable compensation.
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2004, 11:29am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

« Reply #35 on: Dec 10th, 2004, 11:50am »

I didn't look at your game yet, so I don't know.

This new version has a lot of changes in the camel motivations when an elaphant is protecting a hostage.  It should be better at mobilizing the camel.

I also fixed a big problem in the Q search that sometimes returned the worst move rather than the best one.   The new code is faster as well, so it will sometimes search deeper.  It probably still has some bugs though, so I need some test games.
IP Logged
fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

« Reply #36 on: Dec 11th, 2004, 1:57pm »

Fixed the double counting threat bug in the last game speedy lost to clueless.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #37 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 12:21am »

I think Speedy/Bomb might be getting a bit too cavalier with the camel. In the last two games against me (10220 and 10241) and it ended up trading a horse for its camel.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2004, 12:23am by omar » IP Logged
fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

« Reply #38 on: Dec 14th, 2004, 8:58pm »

I did turn down the value of the camel, since a camel vs horse is not a huge disadvantage.

I just made a very minor change to avoid some opening problems I saw in recent games with Fritz and Belbo.
IP Logged
fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

« Reply #39 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 2:15am »

Fixed some evaluation bugs I found from Omar's last game where it let him pull and trap a cat early.
IP Logged
fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

« Reply #40 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 4:15pm »

Fixed a pruning bug that made it miss an easy goal.  Made it search deeper when there are interesting tactics.
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #41 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 5:53pm »

hmmm - you are still quite active here Wink
IP Logged
fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

« Reply #42 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 1:02am »

Fixed some bugs in the goal search and the Q search.
IP Logged
fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

« Reply #43 on: Dec 30th, 2004, 5:01pm »

I put speedy back to 30 seconds.  It looks like everyone who wants to got a chance to try it out at 15 seconds, and it is clear that 15 seconds is much stronger compared with people.

When I didi the tournament port, gcc found a bug in the camel mobility evaluation, so there was a minor change a few days ago.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #44 on: Dec 31st, 2004, 11:40pm »

Yep, I'd say that speedy is about 200 points stronger at 15 seconds per move than at 30 seconds per move, relative to humans.  Whether or not speedy is the strongest Arimaa-playing entity in the world at 15 seconds per move is something I'd like to hash out next week.  Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.