Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 4:56am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2013 World Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2013 World Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2013 World Championship  (Read 10708 times)
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

Re: 2013 World Championship
« Reply #60 on: Apr 28th, 2013, 4:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I must thank RmznA for his attempt to give me his 1150 as a compensation for connection problems ...
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #61 on: Apr 28th, 2013, 8:05pm »

on Apr 28th, 2013, 4:14pm, Hippo wrote:
I must thank RmznA for his attempt to give me his 1150 as a compensation for connection problems ...

And while we're at it, let me thank browni3141 for tipping me for sponsoring him!
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #62 on: Apr 28th, 2013, 10:52pm »

Thanks everyone for making the WC such a successful event this year. I especially want to thank two people who put in a lot of effort.

Karl (Fritzlein), thanks so much for running the event this year. By running the tournament tool and radio relay you took a lot of load off me. I should have done more recordings and commentary, but I slacked off on that. I don't feel burned out after the WC this year and this is the first time where after the WC I feel like working on the next WC right away.

Matthew (clyring), thanks so much for all the commentary you did this year. It was truly amazing; I don't know how you did it.

There are many more people I want to thank and a lot more I want to say and not just for the WC but for the other events as well. So next Saturday I'm going to do a pod cast as the awards and recognitions ceremony for the events this year. If anyone else would like to say something during this time, please join teamSpeak and let me know ahead of time so I know to call on you. I hope you will be able to join in.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #63 on: Apr 28th, 2013, 11:48pm »

on Apr 28th, 2013, 10:52pm, omar wrote:
I don't feel burned out after the WC this year and this is the first time where after the WC I feel like working on the next WC right away.

Thanks, Omar.  Doing something I can do in order to spare you the burden so that you can do things only you can do makes me feel like my contribution has been efficient and worthwhile.  On to the next event!
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #64 on: Apr 29th, 2013, 2:56pm »

on Apr 28th, 2013, 11:48pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Thanks, Omar.  Doing something I can do in order to spare you the burden so that you can do things only you can do makes me feel like my contribution has been efficient and worthwhile.  On to the next event!  

Yes thanks Fritzlein for the organization and for that much refreshing omar Smiley.
See you both in next year championship ...
and thanks Janzert in advance ...
IP Logged

Brendan_M
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #8106

« Reply #65 on: Apr 30th, 2013, 2:12pm »

I'd also like to thank Fritzlein for organising the tournament. I really enjoyed playing and enjoyed that I had the chance to play so many players at a similar level to myself. The format was great

Thanks to clyring also for commentating on so many of my and others games

Finally congrats to chessandgo for winning again!
IP Logged
mattj256
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8519

« Reply #66 on: May 1st, 2013, 9:08am »

I updated some of the information on Wikipedia related to the completed World Championships.  (I saw Fritzlein beat me to the punch for some of it.  Thanks Fritzlein!)  Is it possible for someone to update the World Championship page or can that only be done by Omar?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #67 on: May 1st, 2013, 11:28am »

on May 1st, 2013, 9:08am, mattj256 wrote:
I updated some of the information on Wikipedia related to the completed World Championships.  (I saw Fritzlein beat me to the punch for some of it.  Thanks Fritzlein!)

Thanks for helping keep Wikipedia up to date.  I reverted one edit, apparently not by you, namely that the 2012 World Champion was hanzack, not Tarou Asou.  As I said on the Wikipedia talk page:  It is confusing to give the name of a former prime minister of Japan when there is no reason to believe that this is the real name of Arimaa player in question. It is one thing to respect the anonymity of the World Champion, and quite another to drag an innocent bystander into the mix.  

Quote:
Is it possible for someone to update the World Championship page or can that only be done by Omar?

Only Omar, although it looks like it has been done now.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #68 on: May 1st, 2013, 2:18pm »

on May 1st, 2013, 11:28am, Fritzlein wrote:
It is one thing to respect the anonymity of the World Champion, and quite another to drag an innocent bystander into the mix.  

Am I imagining a double meaning here? Smiley
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #69 on: May 1st, 2013, 3:10pm »

on May 1st, 2013, 2:18pm, chessandgo wrote:
Am I imagining a double meaning here? Smiley

I didn't intend a double meaning I don't know what two meanings you are thinking of.  What I meant was that the Arimaa Community shouldn't participate in dragging down Tarou Asou's name just because some joker entered that as a fake name for his account.

Here is my thought experiment:  If someone created a new account on arimaa.com and entered my name for his account to be funny, would I want folks to call him "Fritz Juhnke"?  No, I wouldn't.  On the contrary, I would be glad if everyone in the community called him by some other name instead of by my name.  I don't think we can or should require people to give their real names on arimaa.com, but having said that, it would be ridiculous to let anonymous jokers force us to misuse the names of real people.
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #70 on: May 1st, 2013, 3:24pm »

I'm guessing chessandgo thought you made a subtle reference to his suspicion that hanzack is rabbits.
IP Logged
mattj256
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8519

« Reply #71 on: May 1st, 2013, 9:55pm »

Thanks for helping keep Wikipedia up to date.
You're welcome.

I reverted one edit, apparently not by you
Yeah I'm mattj2 on Wikipedia and mattj256 here.

Only Omar [can update the championship page], although it looks like it has been done now.
Thanks Omar.  Now I have an officially verifiable source that Jean Daligault won.  I wouldn't want to offend the Wikipedians...

This is totally picky, but I noticed Fritzlein's Wikipedia edits list Daligault as from Great Britain but on this site it says France.  Which is correct?
(WC main page and 2013 WC both say France, but Daligault's profile page says Great Britain.)
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2013, 10:02pm by mattj256 » IP Logged
clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #72 on: May 1st, 2013, 10:07pm »

He is currently living in the UK, but is from France and is most definitely French.
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
mattj256
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8519

« Reply #73 on: May 1st, 2013, 10:13pm »

I reverted one edit, apparently not by you, namely that the 2012 World Champion was hanzack, not Tarou Asou.
I totally didn't realize what happened.  First you made your own edit.  A random stranger, trying to be helpful and also trying to verify that your edit is correct, follows the link on the Wikipedia page to the Arimaa WC page, which lists the prime minister of Japan as the 2012 winner.  Behind the scenes on Wikipedia there's a systematic process where all non-minor edits are "policed" by volunteers.  

I would suggest that you sync the Arimaa WC page with the Wikipedia page.  Otherwise I might have to start a flame war with you on Wikipedia for doing "original research." Smiley
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #74 on: May 4th, 2013, 1:53pm »

on May 1st, 2013, 3:10pm, Fritzlein wrote:

I didn't intend a double meaning I don't know what two meanings you are thinking of.  What I meant was that the Arimaa Community shouldn't participate in dragging down Tarou Asou's name just because some joker entered that as a fake name for his account.

Here is my thought experiment:  If someone created a new account on arimaa.com and entered my name for his account to be funny, would I want folks to call him "Fritz Juhnke"?  No, I wouldn't.  On the contrary, I would be glad if everyone in the community called him by some other name instead of by my name.  I don't think we can or should require people to give their real names on arimaa.com, but having said that, it would be ridiculous to let anonymous jokers force us to misuse the names of real people.

I know for a fact that at least two other people in France    share both my first and my last name. I was even called by mistake by an ex-girlfriend of one of them. And yet Dudek is a good old Polish name. The phone book of Warsaw alone has hundreds of them; I checked.

I imagine that there must be hundreds of "Jean Dupont"s in France... just to give an example.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.