Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 2:03am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2012 Arimaa World League Roundtable »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2012 Arimaa World League
(Moderators: megajester, supersamu)
   2012 Arimaa World League Roundtable
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2012 Arimaa World League Roundtable  (Read 20611 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 2012 Arimaa World League Roundtable
« Reply #90 on: Sep 6th, 2012, 10:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Sep 6th, 2012, 4:35pm, megajester wrote:
OK NOW I've made the necessary changes...

Thank you!

Quote:
I like the way you basically do this to my ego whenever you find a problem Grin Please carry on...

It's called "Pump and dump".  Wink
IP Logged

novacat
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #751

« Reply #91 on: Sep 10th, 2012, 8:43pm »

Moving this to the roundtable.
on Sep 8th, 2012, 2:56pm, megajester wrote:
(A note: This rule was kind of accidentally-on-purpose written so that if there was nobody around to substitute, both players could turn up almost an hour late and still play [because the game would still be on the system], whereas if there were substitutes around they would not have to wait a whole hour. Which is another debate. Perhaps a better idea would be to say that teammates have until T+15 mins to select a substitute who is fielded at T+15 mins if the original player is absent, otherwise the game is forfeited even if the original player turns up.)

I am very much in favor of changing the rules to "Teammates have until T+15 mins to select a substitute who is fielded at T+15 mins if the original player is absent, otherwise the game is forfeited even if the original player turns up after T+15 mins".
The reasons for this were expressed well by Nombril here http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=2010awl;action=display ;num=1258135580;start=192#192. The one that resonates the most for me is quoted below.
on Oct 11th, 2010, 2:11pm, Nombril wrote:
... ran into the situation today where his opponent didn't show up on time.  He was in an uncomfortable situation of wanting to be a good sport and keep the game window open, vs. wanting to help his team win and just claim the forfeit and cost the opponents the 1 point for a forfeit.
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #92 on: Sep 10th, 2012, 9:57pm »

And the delayed game this weekend was potentially worse then the one I mentioned last year.  After 45 minutes one of the original players arrived, and they started playing a sub.  After 47 minutes the other original player arrived.  If I understand it correctly: with the "soft" deadline the player arriving at 45 minutes could open the game window and claim a forfeit if the other team didn't have a sub available?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #93 on: Sep 10th, 2012, 10:40pm »

I'm in favor of automatic forfeit after 15 minutes for a no-show with no sub present.  That is to say, I would be happy if players did not have the option to wait more than 15 minutes for late opponents.  I definitely want this rule for the 2013 World Championship (and I will bring it up for discussion in that thread), but for AWL I will stop with casting my vote and will be content with whatever the majority decides.  There are arguments on both sides, and AWL is not the World Championship.
IP Logged

novacat
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #751

« Reply #94 on: Sep 10th, 2012, 10:55pm »

On a slightly different topic, I see a lot of people with questions about how to claim a forfeit.  Thus, I'd like to clarify any misconceptions.
The game room software is programmed so that if player A does not show up for the game within 15 minutes after the scheduled start time, then player B (that showed up) just needs to exit the game window after the 15 minutes are over.  The software instantly and automatically changes the game to a forfeit.
If player B leaves before 15 minutes are up, the forfeit does not register so make sure to wait past the 15 min.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #95 on: Sep 24th, 2012, 10:00am »

The wiki page (link in my signature) has been updated with official ratings for the "next round" (the rest of the page is waiting for the full results from round 4 to come in). Managers who have already submitted a roster have until 00:00 tonight GMT to revise their rosters if necessary.
IP Logged

Heyckie
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #4741

« Reply #96 on: Oct 2nd, 2012, 6:50am »

I haven't been following Arimaa that much for several months because of family and work and all of  that "life" stuff. Now I've just started playing a bit again and would like to know how the events are going too. The wiki page isn't quite up to date so is there some place I could see the results of AWL rounds 4 and 5?

Also I know the information must be here somewhere but I'm too lazy to browse around so how do I get that EUROPE tag in my posts?

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2012, 6:55am by Heyckie » IP Logged
foggy
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #6010

« Reply #97 on: Oct 2nd, 2012, 7:56am »

You could use the link from the Gameroom navigation: Games\Event games.
IP Logged

odin73
Forum Guru

« Reply #98 on: Oct 2nd, 2012, 12:20pm »

Quote:
Also I know the information must be here somewhere but I'm too lazy to browse around so how do I get that EUROPE tag in my posts?

Answer to that question is found in the AWL Europa thread:
 http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=2012AWL;action=display ;num=1342686100
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #99 on: Oct 3rd, 2012, 1:32pm »

on Oct 2nd, 2012, 6:50am, Heyckie wrote:
The wiki page isn't quite up to date so is there some place I could see the results of AWL rounds 4 and 5?

I guess megajester has been a bit overwhelmed by the one-round-per week format, as I feared he might be.  It is already too late to pair Round 6 this week and give reasonable warning for any game that happened to be scheduled in an early time slot.  At this point we should probably delay the final round by a week, or more if megajester needs the breathing room.
IP Logged

Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

« Reply #100 on: Oct 3rd, 2012, 1:36pm »

I've been way too busy to play this season, but if there's anything I can help MegaJester with, I'm willing to try.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #101 on: Oct 3rd, 2012, 1:54pm »

Apologies for dropping the ball. I will try to schedule Round 6 games within the next 12 hours.
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #102 on: Oct 3rd, 2012, 2:02pm »

on Oct 3rd, 2012, 1:54pm, megajester wrote:
Apologies for dropping the ball. I will try to schedule Round 6 games within the next 12 hours.

But the start of the first time slot is already in 5 hours.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #103 on: Oct 3rd, 2012, 9:19pm »

on Oct 3rd, 2012, 1:54pm, megajester wrote:

If this late scheduling would still give everyone at least 24 hours advance notice of their games, it would be acceptable to me.  However, I would distinctly prefer that you not schedule the round this late even if the scheduler happens to pick only weekend times.  I recommend instead delaying the final round by one week and taking the time to update the results, standings, budgets, and player costs for the final round.

It's not a big deal either way; Arimaa is just a game.  But in weighing the relative disadvantages, I'd rather accept the fact that rosters might have to be changed if thereby we get more clarity of the standings and budgets, as well as more advance notice of scheduled game times.

And don't worry about having dropped the ball.  We all love you for running the AWL.  It has been a great season once again!  Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2012, 11:43pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

novacat
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #751

« Reply #104 on: Oct 9th, 2012, 10:36am »

I would like to suggest all captains forward their roster for the last round to Omar (as he is the backup coordinator) so that we have a tentative plan B in the event megajester is not able to schedule the games today.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.