Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 2:30am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « --ROCKIES-- »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2012 Arimaa World League
(Moderators: megajester, supersamu)
   --ROCKIES--
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: --ROCKIES--  (Read 10468 times)
balaclava
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #7793

Re: --ROCKIES--
« Reply #15 on: Aug 21st, 2012, 12:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks for the help, Fritz. Glad to know the emblem is not needed for participation, but I will try to put it up anyway. With any luck it will now appear at the bottom of this post.
IP Logged

balaclava
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #7793

« Reply #16 on: Sep 4th, 2012, 3:50am »

I'm excited to be playing my first AWL game. Would any other Rockies players be willing to play some practice games against me before Saturday? Luckily, Wabbott and I do not have a large discrepancy in ratings, but I feel like I should use all the help I can get. Thank you.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #17 on: Sep 4th, 2012, 8:35am »

on Sep 4th, 2012, 3:50am, balaclava wrote:
I'm excited to be playing my first AWL game. Would any other Rockies players be willing to play some practice games against me before Saturday? Luckily, Wabbott and I do not have a large discrepancy in ratings, but I feel like I should use all the help I can get. Thank you.

I'm excited for you!  Unfortunately I don't have a large chunk of free time until Saturday morning.  Does that suit for training?
IP Logged

knak
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #4724

« Reply #18 on: Sep 4th, 2012, 11:08am »

balaclava, I would be happy to play a game with you sometime before thursday.  Let me know what time works for you.  Or I will just challenge you if I see you in the gameroom (feel free to do the same).  

IP Logged

balaclava
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #7793

« Reply #19 on: Sep 4th, 2012, 12:31pm »

Thank you for the timely reply, knak. I could probably play a game late afternoon my time (in 3-4 hours from posting). However, if you see me in the gameroom, feel free to challenge me at any  time.

on Sep 4th, 2012, 11:08am, knak wrote:
balaclava, I would be happy to play a game with you sometime before thursday.  Let me know what time works for you.  Or I will just challenge you if I see you in the gameroom (feel free to do the same).  

IP Logged

knak
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #4724

« Reply #20 on: Sep 4th, 2012, 1:14pm »

That works for me, too.  I will try to find you in a few hours.
IP Logged

balaclava
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #7793

« Reply #21 on: Sep 6th, 2012, 11:56pm »

I was wondering if anyone could annotate/comment on this (pardon my French) clusterf**k
 of a game i just played? I'm not encouraged by the level of play 2 days before my AWL game, but the large number of mistakes (on both sides) certainly make it an excellent opportunity for a learning experience. Cheers.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/jsShowGame.cgi?gid=243545&s=b
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2012, 11:58pm by balaclava » IP Logged

ChrisB
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2339

« Reply #22 on: Sep 7th, 2012, 10:42am »

An exciting game.  Congratulations on winning and thanks for submitting it for comments.  I just have a few quick ones now.

With your setup, it looks like your best plan is to advance your horses towards the F3 trap, have your elephant deal with gold's camel and defend your C6 trap with your camel and dog(s).  That may leave your camel exposed to gold's elephant, so your elephant may need to actively pursue gold's camel.

Since gold advanced towards C6 on his first move, for 2s, I would have done: md7s ee7s md6w mc6w.  With the move you did, gold could have done 3g Ed5n Hb3n Hb4n Hb5n, putting you on the defensive.  On 3s, I would have done: md6w mc6w ee6s ee5s, both defending C6 and pursuing gold's camel.  Again with the move you did, gold could have moved his elephant and horse adjacent to the C6 trap.
IP Logged

ChrisB
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2339

« Reply #23 on: Sep 7th, 2012, 11:04am »

on Sep 6th, 2012, 11:56pm, balaclava wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could annotate/comment on this (pardon my French) clusterf**k
 of a game i just played? I'm not encouraged by the level of play 2 days before my AWL game, but the large number of mistakes (on both sides) certainly make it an excellent opportunity for a learning experience. Cheers.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/jsShowGame.cgi?gid=243545&s=b

One more comment: on 25s you could have captured gold's dog and obtained a strong position at the F3 trap.  It's easy to miss those "false protection" captures!

But after further review, the move you did was good too, since gold had a lot of pressure on the C6 trap.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2012, 11:16am by ChrisB » IP Logged

balaclava
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #7793

« Reply #24 on: Sep 7th, 2012, 12:20pm »

Thanks for the analysis, Chris! If i have time tonight, I will post my reaction/thoughts about your suggested improvements to my game.

To everyone in the Rockies clubhouse: wabbott has contacted me to reschedule our game. The time is not set yet, but we will PROBABLY be playing sometime in the early afternoon (EDT) tomorrow. Please keep your eyes on the "Rescheduled Games" thread, but i will try to also post the rescheduled time here, once I know it and we have both officially agreed to the rescheduling.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2012, 12:23pm by balaclava » IP Logged

ChrisB
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2339

« Reply #25 on: Sep 7th, 2012, 1:14pm »

on Sep 7th, 2012, 12:20pm, balaclava wrote:
Thanks for the analysis, Chris! If i have time tonight, I will post my reaction/thoughts about your suggested improvements to my game.

Thanks balaclava! The more I look at 25s, the more I DON'T like my suggested alternative.  I missed gold's threat of framing your horse on C6.
IP Logged

balaclava
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #7793

« Reply #26 on: Sep 7th, 2012, 3:01pm »

As you can now see in the 'Rescheduled Games' thread, wabbott and I will be playing at 1PM EDT tomorrow, not the old time of 8PM EDT.

Also, for clarification, as soon as wabbott and I have officially agreed to the game and posted the game number in the chat, I should leave the chatroom? It would seem obvious given the whole 'no communication with anyone else during the game' thing, but I just want to make sure i've got the protocol down pat before the game.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2012, 3:11pm by balaclava » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #27 on: Sep 7th, 2012, 8:36pm »

That's right, leave the chat room.  You could easily eavesdrop on what people thought about the current position (since rescheduled games lose the 12-minute delay feature), but you are on your honor not to do that so people can feel free to discuss the game.
IP Logged

balaclava
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #7793

« Reply #28 on: Sep 7th, 2012, 8:55pm »

Ok, thank you for the clarification, Fritz.

on Sep 7th, 2012, 8:36pm, Fritzlein wrote:
That's right, leave the chat room.  You could easily eavesdrop on what people thought about the current position (since rescheduled games lose the 12-minute delay feature), but you are on your honor not to do that so people can feel free to discuss the game.

IP Logged

balaclava
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #7793

« Reply #29 on: Sep 7th, 2012, 11:55pm »

Chris, I wanted to go with your initial plan of attack, but i was worried about my camel getting pulled. You addressed this correctly in saying that I should've pursued gold's camel to compensate.

For your 2s suggestion, I don't see anything better, but i was again concerned about the camel getting pulled. If I expose it that early, won't he have a chance to capture/hostage it before i can come up with a counterthreat, on his camel, for example?

You are right about the threat of an EH attack on move 3g. Unfortunately, i did not even notice the possibility.
I LOVE your 3s suggestion. It gives me a very nice position.

A lot was going on on move 25s. I saw the false protection capture of the dog you suggested, and decided somewhat awkwardly to pursue my alternative, as i thought gold's goal threat was worrisome. Funnily enough, i did end up getting framed anyway on 28g. Out of curiosity, would it have been better for gold to frame with the elephant rather than the camel? Specifically, i think it may make the goal threat, not the frame, stronger.

I think that when I went back to the F3 trap on 27s, i should've captured the rabbit with my camel, not the elephant, which was better suited for defensive duties. I don't quite remember my train of thought at the time, but i believe i may have been bringing the elephant over towards the F3 trap to try to goal with my g-file rabbit. I believe this would've been futile, however, as gold still has plenty of heavy pieces to defend with, even if it means delaying his goal threat. Luckily, it turned out ok.

on Sep 7th, 2012, 10:42am, ChrisB wrote:
An exciting game.  Congratulations on winning and thanks for submitting it for comments.  I just have a few quick ones now.

With your setup, it looks like your best plan is to advance your horses towards the F3 trap, have your elephant deal with gold's camel and defend your C6 trap with your camel and dog(s).  That may leave your camel exposed to gold's elephant, so your elephant may need to actively pursue gold's camel.

Since gold advanced towards C6 on his first move, for 2s, I would have done: md7s ee7s md6w mc6w.  With the move you did, gold could have done 3g Ed5n Hb3n Hb4n Hb5n, putting you on the defensive.  On 3s, I would have done: md6w mc6w ee6s ee5s, both defending C6 and pursuing gold's camel.  Again with the move you did, gold could have moved his elephant and horse adjacent to the C6 trap.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« No topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.