Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 9:38am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « --ROCKIES-- »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2012 Arimaa World League
(Moderators: megajester, supersamu)
   --ROCKIES--
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: --ROCKIES--  (Read 10469 times)
rht144
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #7502

Re: --ROCKIES--
« Reply #30 on: Sep 22nd, 2012, 6:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm a new player, but I would like to join the Rockies, please!
IP Logged
ChrisB
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2339

« Reply #31 on: Sep 22nd, 2012, 6:05pm »

You are in! Welcome rht144!  
on Sep 22nd, 2012, 6:02pm, rht144 wrote:
I'm a new player, but I would like to join the Rockies, please!

IP Logged

balaclava
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #7793

« Reply #32 on: Sep 22nd, 2012, 6:47pm »

Welcome to the Rockies, rht144!
IP Logged

balaclava
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #7793

« Reply #33 on: Sep 28th, 2012, 1:52pm »

I'd appreciate it if someone could give an analysis of this game: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/jsShowGame.cgi?gid=245476&s=w

I feel like it was my first strategically 'sound' win against bot_Sharp, even if no material was exchanged. As a quick note, I thought that if I could not have progressed with the goal threat, I would at least have had some better tactical threats to make captures. Thus my attempt to pull the opposing dog or horse toward my home trap with the camel.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #34 on: Sep 29th, 2012, 7:37pm »

on Sep 28th, 2012, 1:52pm, balaclava wrote:
I'd appreciate it if someone could give an analysis of this game: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/jsShowGame.cgi?gid=245476&s=w

Setup: I'm a bit skeptical of putting MHH all on the same side.  That gives Gold an easy strategic plan of parking his elephant on that wing (say c5) to make a hostage out of anything you advance.  But with sharp choosing to shuffle its elephant between d6 and e6, your MHH cluster gave you a strong attack, and you were correct to make that attack.

By 8s your position is already much better than sharp's, but on 9s you missed an opportunity to start capturing pieces right and left.  Your elephant could have swung  the gold horse from c3 out to d4.  You win at least a horse, and more if sharp's next move isn't to rush to the defense with its elephant.  When you control three sides of a trap and the opponent is blocking you from reaching the fourth, emptying out the trap can be very effective.

Your strategy in the teens was fine.  The only thing sharp's unsupported elephant can do against your home traps is to pull out pieces, and pulling out pieces is futile given that your MH controls one of his traps and E controls the other.  So when you are advancing and he is pulling your pieces, it almost looks like the two of you are both wanting Silver to win.

On 19s, you again could have taken control of c3 and made at least one capture by pushing sharp's b3 horse back to b2 with your camel.

On 21s, your camel should stop on c2 instead of pushing along to d2.  Gold then can't leave c1 unoccupied without letting your d3 rabbit get to goal, so every turn your camel will be able to take whatever piece gold leaves on c1.  This is what I call a Zwickmuhle or "bone crusher".  You could also have formed it on 22s.  With this formation and a capture every move, you would not have had to spend sixteen more moves trying to worm a rabbit forward to goal.

The easiest way to get a rabbit to goal is to capture (in the enemy's own trap) all the enemy pieces that are in the way.

Finally, take another look at 37s.  Wink

Quote:
I feel like it was my first strategically 'sound' win against bot_Sharp, even if no material was exchanged.

Yep, you had a lock on the position from early on and you never let go of your advantage.
IP Logged

balaclava
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #7793

« Reply #35 on: Sep 30th, 2012, 3:02pm »

Thank you for the pointers, Fritz!

In the opening I was thinking I should oppose gold's horses with my camel, while keeping my own horses away from his camel. But you are right that this was potentially dangerous; putting the camels on the same wing could've been safer. I'm familiar with some opening ideas through Jean's book, but i think experience will probably be the best way to learn how to respond to gold's openings.

Unfortunately, the thought to remove the piece in the c3 trap (the gold horse) didn't even cross my mind.

When I could've taken over c3 again on 21s, I was burdened by a bit of tunnel vision. As i was still intent on capturing a gold piece at my home c6 trap, i latched onto the dog.

The 'bone crusher' looks too cool! I'm not sure I could've ever reasoned out that idea on my own. When the rabbit is trying to goal, I don't pay any attention to it in regards  to trap control. I'll have no more of that! Wink

I actually realized I could've goaled as early as 36s with Dd3n ee3w md1e rd2s. I should study endgames, as i've lost a number of goal races by one move. Still, once the dogs are out of the way, gold has no strategic recourse.
IP Logged

clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #36 on: Oct 1st, 2012, 6:58pm »

on Sep 30th, 2012, 3:02pm, balaclava wrote:
I should study endgames,

In that case, I highly recommend joining the Endless Endgame Event! (link) I promise it is more than just Atlantics propaganda! Wink
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
blackczajk
Forum Full Member

Bass, backing vocals, goofy hair

« Reply #37 on: Oct 13th, 2012, 10:20am »

blackczajk, up for the Rockies!
IP Logged
ChrisB
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2339

« Reply #38 on: Oct 13th, 2012, 10:23am »

on Oct 13th, 2012, 10:20am, blackczajk wrote:

Welcome to the Rockies, blackczajk!
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #39 on: Oct 13th, 2012, 11:25am »

on Oct 13th, 2012, 10:20am, blackczajk wrote:

Welcome!  Thanks for subbing at the last minute.  With our two new recruits the last two rounds, I sure hope we get to play another season this year.
IP Logged

blackczajk
Forum Full Member

Bass, backing vocals, goofy hair

« Reply #40 on: Oct 13th, 2012, 11:59am »

That was fun--a chaotic fill-in, but fun. (Where do I go? Where do I go?? Challenge? Forum? Huzzawhat?) Getting smacked around by gthreepwood was definitely an eye-opening experience. Shocked

on Oct 13th, 2012, 11:25am, Fritzlein wrote:

With our two new recruits the last two rounds, I sure hope we get to play another season this year.

I'm certainly willing to stick around--especially if it means another season.
IP Logged
balaclava
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #7793

« Reply #41 on: Oct 26th, 2012, 10:52pm »

blackczajk, a very belated welcome to the Rockies!
IP Logged

Alfons
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #5149

« Reply #42 on: Nov 17th, 2012, 2:15pm »

Hi everyone!  
I would like to join your team!

What might be a problem (as far as I understand the rules): my rating makes me expensive. I'm quite good in postal games, but I fear I'm not as good in live games.  
But I promise to fight fiercely!  Wink
IP Logged
Alfons
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #5149

« Reply #43 on: Nov 17th, 2012, 2:42pm »

I just checked the results and came to the conclusion that this years's AWL has already finished. Is this right?  
Well, anyway, you can count on me for the next season.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #44 on: Nov 17th, 2012, 2:54pm »

Welcome to the Rockies, Alfons!  We don't have anyone else in your rating range, and there were times this past season when we could have bagged a point on the top board more cheaply if we had had someone less expensive than me.

As for being better at postal Arimaa than live Arimaa, well, that's the story of my life.  Your WHRP is only 264 points higher than your gameroom rating; mine is 366 points higher.  Shocked  Thus, my WHRE cost is more than I am worth in the live games of the AWL.  C'est la vie.

Simply having another option to turn to will be a great help for the Rockies; You may have noticed we have the shortest roster of any team.

In any case, welcome aboard.  It's too bad there isn't another AWL until after the World Championship, Computer Championship, and Arimaa Challenge, but I'm suddenly looking forward to the 2103 AWL even more than before!
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2012, 2:58pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« No topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.