Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:09am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2012 Arimaa World League Roundtable »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2012 Arimaa World League
(Moderators: megajester, supersamu)
   2012 Arimaa World League Roundtable
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2012 Arimaa World League Roundtable  (Read 20609 times)
megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

2012 Arimaa World League Roundtable
« on: Apr 30th, 2012, 6:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The 2012 Arimaa World League is coming up, and it would be good to contribute our ideas and suggestions from the previous season as soon as possible, before the details are finalized.

Thank you for your interest, and I hope we will have another fun year with the World League.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 2012 Arimaa World League Roundtable
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30th, 2012, 8:06am »

My impression of last season was again that we have enough interested players to make the season fun and exciting, but just barely.  It seems that the Rockies' roster more often than not consisted of the only three players available.  Sometimes we had a fourth player who could have played if there had been no other option, and sometimes our third player was playing because there was no other option.  I'm glad that neither we nor any other team had to ever submit a two-player roster, but it seemed like a close thing.

From a strategy perspective, I formerly didn't want the other teams to know that we had no roster options in a given week, but I'm over that now.  For next season, I think it would be nice if the captains were open about how many volunteers there were choosing from each week.  The reason is that new players who join the AWL mid-season are often willing to join teams for reasons other than geography, and they could sign up where their playing time would be maximized if that was a motivation to them, but they don't have the information that permits them to do so.  We could have a little group effort that keeps the teams balanced in size (not in ability, of course, as Ring of Fire will always win anyway) for the purpose of keeping any one team from falling apart.
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #2 on: Apr 30th, 2012, 8:11am »

As expressed before, I want a complete eradication of any rule-imposed incentive with respect to the duration and victory condition of a game (other than penalizing forfeits).
IP Logged
browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30th, 2012, 8:50pm »

What is this Arimaa World League and how do I get in on it?
And as soon as I find out I will probably agree with aaaa.
IP Logged

Boo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6466

« Reply #4 on: May 1st, 2012, 2:47am »

Quote:
What is this Arimaa World League and how do I get in on it?  

See the links in megajester's signature.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 19th, 2012, 12:13pm »

Hi everybody, slowly but surely I'm organizing things...

I've set up a 2012 Arimaa World League page where you will see links to club pages. I've made a start, but the clubs can make whatever changes to their pages they wish. Especially "Moments of Glory" can be fleshed out.

More details on the upcoming season soon...
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2012, 12:14pm by megajester » IP Logged

novacat
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #751

« Reply #6 on: May 22nd, 2012, 12:02am »

Very cool Megajester!

I do see some additions and corrections.  I don't know how to make changes myself.  The 2010 season 1 and 2 results are reversed for all the teams.  
Also, the player game count is missing a season.  I counted them up and have them in an excel sheet.
IP Logged

Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

« Reply #7 on: May 31st, 2012, 11:29am »

One thing we mentioned last time is providing time for a tiebreaker round if need be, if we haven't already put that in place for this year. And maybe explicitly stating the "off-dates" of the event early (e.g. Thanksgiving).

Other than that, I don't really have any suggestions or anything. I like Fritz's suggestion to make sure new players go where they are needed.

Yay! I have the 5th most appearances for the Rockies! But we need to get at least 2nd this year...
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 4th, 2012, 10:27am »

I also agree with developing some type of recruitment program and trying to match new players with teams that need them.  Overall, the World League has been running very smoothly and I can't think of any major suggested improvements for the upcoming season.

My team's biggest problem is always finding low-rated players to keep us within budget.  I really hope there are many new recruits out there willing to join the AWL 2012.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 13th, 2012, 9:05am »

Thanks very much everybody. I've been very busy lately, hence the absence. I've had some spare time, and I've been working on a master spreadsheet to make updating the wiki easier. I've uploaded a sample of the results onto the 2012 AWL wiki page just so you can see the format.

More coming soon...
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 13th, 2012, 11:33am »

on Jul 13th, 2012, 9:05am, megajester wrote:
Thanks very much everybody. I've been very busy lately, hence the absence. I've had some spare time, and I've been working on a master spreadsheet to make updating the wiki easier. I've uploaded a sample of the results onto the 2012 AWL wiki page just so you can see the format.

More coming soon...

That elephant photo looks great and is a really nice addition to the page.  The AWL Wiki pages get nicer every year Smiley

Since you’ve been very busy I don’t want to give you any more unnecessary work.  But if this request is easy to implement, I think it would be helpful:  instead of listing all the teams roster & player rating costs in one long column, would it be possible to have the team rosters in a 2x2 table with the head-to-head teams being listed side-by-side each week.  The would cut down on the length of the page and also it would be nice to see both team rosters next to each other.  This, of course, is not a high priority, especially if it would be time-consuming to implement.

Thanks again for organizing AWL season 3!
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 14th, 2012, 8:52am »

on Jul 13th, 2012, 11:33am, Adanac wrote:

That elephant photo looks great and is a really nice addition to the page.  The AWL Wiki pages get nicer every year Smiley

Since you’ve been very busy I don’t want to give you any more unnecessary work.  But if this request is easy to implement, I think it would be helpful:  instead of listing all the teams roster & player rating costs in one long column, would it be possible to have the team rosters in a 2x2 table with the head-to-head teams being listed side-by-side each week.  The would cut down on the length of the page and also it would be nice to see both team rosters next to each other.  This, of course, is not a high priority, especially if it would be time-consuming to implement.

Thanks again for organizing AWL season 3!

I'll see what I can do.

Any suggestions on dates, anybody?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 14th, 2012, 9:00am »

on Jul 14th, 2012, 8:52am, megajester wrote:
Any suggestions on dates, anybody?

Wait until I time out on all my Postal Mixer games.   Tongue

No, seriously, I would love to see the AWL restart at any time, and I will participate for the Rockies even if my drained reserves in all of my Postal Mixer games suggest that I ought not.  Thanks for ponying up for another season!
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 14th, 2012, 10:57am »

on Jul 13th, 2012, 11:33am, Adanac wrote:
instead of listing all the teams roster & player rating costs in one long column, would it be possible to have the team rosters in a 2x2 table with the head-to-head teams being listed side-by-side each week.

How about the way it is now? If that would do, it'd be the easiest to implement.

BTW Thanks Fritz. Smiley

Edit: By "the way it is now" I mean the way it is now that I've changed it. I just reread my post and realized it looks like I'm being cute...
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2012, 2:50pm by megajester » IP Logged

novacat
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #751

« Reply #14 on: Jul 15th, 2012, 6:57am »

I am fine starting at any time, would prefer starting August 6 or earlier.  I suggest having some good advertising in the game room a week before the start to get new people interested and get everyone pumped up for a new season.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.