Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 7:16am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « search tree techniques »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   search tree techniques
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: search tree techniques  (Read 4364 times)
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

Re: search tree techniques
« Reply #30 on: Aug 6th, 2008, 8:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 5th, 2008, 11:03pm, aaaa wrote:

But wouldn't you agree with the reasoning behind why having a fixed 4-step reduction then should be problematic?

Theoretically yes I can see that a fixed reduction (of any size) shouldn't be ideal. It doesn't violate my reasoning that led to using a 4 step fixed reduction though. That reasoning went more or less like this. I started with a 3 step fixed. Bumped it up to 4 steps and it seemed to be better. Bumped it up to 5 steps and it seemed worse. Tried half a dozen to a dozen different dynamic schemes and none of them seemed to be an improvement. So I just stuck with the simple fixed 4 step. Smiley Certainly it's not a resolved question and should be explored more in the future and probably changes on the depth of search being done as well.

One thing about early bot development and OpFor is certainly still in this phase*, I believe it's more important to get reasonably working components in place than it is to get a perfect component before moving on to the next component. This philosophy pops up all over OpFor. For another example I used FAME material evaluation, not because I think it's the best possible but because I've implemented it before and knew I could do it quickly and it would provide do decent job in most situations.

Janzert

* Actually I think all Arimaa bots today are still in this phase.
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

Re: search tree techniques
« Reply #31 on: Aug 6th, 2008, 8:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks for the explanation Fritz. I'm sure the "handwaving" explanation helps me more than any other could. The next question would be how to measure the correlation, but I have a feeling that's where the handwaving has to be left behind.

Janzert
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.