Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 10:22am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Arimaa at Boardspace.net »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Arimaa at Boardspace.net
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Arimaa at Boardspace.net  (Read 4589 times)
DonEsteban
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #6033

Re: Arimaa at Boardspace.net
« Reply #30 on: Dec 31st, 2010, 8:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 9th, 2010, 11:51pm, Fritzlein wrote:

There is indeed a difference.  Actually, this rule has been changed.  It used to be a losing move to create a third repetition, but now it is an illegal move instead.  Where are the rules that you are referencing that call it a losing move?  We need to bring those rules up to date.

Sorry for the double posting, but I've just remembered this: http://en.labs.wikimedia.org/wiki/Arimaa/Playing_The_Game was one instance of outdated rules. I've already corrected that page, but please feel free to check if I have missed anything.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #31 on: Dec 31st, 2010, 10:37am »

on Dec 31st, 2010, 7:52am, DonEsteban wrote:

"A push or pull is considered atomic as if the two pieces are moved simultaneously. Thus it is possible for the pulling (or pushing) piece to step into a trap and be removed from the game while completing the pull (or push). "

Adding the text in bold to the above passage should prevent any unnecessary confusion.

While pushing you first pust the opponent's piece so the push is finished before the stone could vanish in the trap. So only for pull this should be mentioned.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2010, 10:39am by Hippo » IP Logged

lightvector
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2543

« Reply #32 on: Dec 31st, 2010, 12:40pm »

on Dec 31st, 2010, 4:43am, Hippo wrote:

Even now it's really, really slow... I have resigned after capturing camel and cats ... [rock]I miss an option to undo a move[/rock]

Agreed, the bot is still almost unplayably slow. =(

I attempted to play a game. In the beginning, it still seems to average around 2 min/move. After only 15 moves on each side, the bot had spent a total of an hour and a half in thinking time, which means an average of 6 minutes per move.
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #33 on: Dec 31st, 2010, 2:23pm »

If you like I would be glad to help you use OpFor (releases are here). The biggest potential hurdle is probably that setting up the required D language build environment can be rather difficult. This should also mean that you could then easily switch to another AEI engine in the future.

Janzert
IP Logged
ddyer
Forum Guru

« Reply #34 on: Dec 31st, 2010, 7:46pm »

on Dec 31st, 2010, 2:23pm, Janzert wrote:
If you like I would be glad to help you use OpFor (releases are here). The biggest potential hurdle is probably that setting up the required D language build environment can be rather difficult. This should also mean that you could then easily switch to another AEI engine in the future.

Janzert

I'd love to get D running.  I downloaded the eclipse
environment for it but couldn't get it to work.

On the other hand, I made a few final tweaks that have both improved the dumbot's play and made it able to lose a full game in 30 minutes playing time.  The biggest change that those patient souls who played previous versions will notice is that it now plays the entire sequence from the first search, instead of conducting a new search for each step.
IP Logged

visit my game site: http://www.boardspace.net/
free online abstract strategy games
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #35 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 2:05pm »

on Dec 31st, 2010, 7:46pm, ddyer wrote:
I'd love to get D running.  I downloaded the eclipse
environment for it but couldn't get it to work.

I've never used an IDE with D (or much of anything else really). Included with the OpFor source is a simple script (build.py) that will compile the bot once the correct D compiler setup is added to the path.

Unfortunately for opfor2009 I also used the even more obscure, and now seemingly unmaintained, tangobos library. There doesn't seem to be a published link anymore but the linux package for tangobos including the dmd compiler can be downloaded from http://downloads.dsource.org/projects/tango/0.99.7/tango-tangobos-0.99.7 -bin-linux-dmd.1.033.tar.gz.

Depending on the distribution I could probably provide you with a pre-built binary if you just wanted that as well.

Janzert
IP Logged
ddyer
Forum Guru

« Reply #36 on: Jan 2nd, 2011, 6:18pm »

The bots at Boardspace have to be pure java as they run as java applets, so code in any language other than java is pretty useless.    

I'd welcome an arimaa expert to collaborate on algorithms and elements for the evaluator in my robot.
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2011, 7:18pm by ddyer » IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #37 on: Jan 3rd, 2011, 1:20am »

Ahh, I didn't realize the bots ran client side. Jdb is certainly the expert in implementing Arimaa in Java (bot_clueless). For overall algorithm details Fotland had an excellent series of posts on the internals of Bomb in February of 2007 in this forum. I'm sure you're already completely familiar with the details of alpha-beta and such but you might find his eval specifics interesting.

I'll probably be using most of my spare time trying to polish OpFor up in the next two months, but I'd be glad to try and answer any specific questions  or problems you run into. I'm sure others would join in if you post them here.

Janzert
IP Logged
ddyer
Forum Guru

« Reply #38 on: Jan 3rd, 2011, 12:16pm »

My usual technique for polishing robots is to look for examples of obviously inferior play, investigate why, and think of how to fundamentally influence better play.   It's a slow process, but heavy on innovation and light on optimizing existing code and tuning existing parameters.

The raw materials for this are examples and ideas.  Feel free to join in.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #39 on: Jan 3rd, 2011, 1:53pm »

I tried again.  The bot made 25 moves in 23 minutes.  That was vastly more enjoyable.

on Jan 3rd, 2011, 12:16pm, ddyer wrote:
The raw materials for this are examples and ideas.  Feel free to join in.

The bot missed a goal in one turn on the last move of my game.  As I understand it, static goal detection is a pain to implement, but fast and useful.
IP Logged

ddyer
Forum Guru

« Reply #40 on: Jan 3rd, 2011, 3:27pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2011, 1:53pm, Fritzlein wrote:
I tried again.  The bot made 25 moves in 23 minutes.  That was vastly more enjoyable.

The bot missed a goal in one turn on the last move of my game.  As I understand it, static goal detection is a pain to implement, but fast and useful.

This was  a simple bug - I intended that the bot see all wins in one.
IP Logged

ddyer
Forum Guru

« Reply #41 on: Jan 8th, 2011, 2:01pm »

I've made another major improvement to the evaluation function, so give it another shot if you like.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.