Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 9:44pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « The fall of Bomb »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   The fall of Bomb
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The fall of Bomb  (Read 4306 times)
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

The fall of Bomb
« on: May 3rd, 2011, 11:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

In 2009 bot_clueless beat Bomb, and wikipedia says several bots surpassed Bomb that year.  What was the reason that several bots suddenly got better than Bomb that year, ending Bombs five year reign?  Was that because of some break-through?
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

Re: The fall of Bomb
« Reply #1 on: May 4th, 2011, 2:26am »

Gnobot beat bomb by copying a game that one of the other bots played against bomb.  Determinism was bomb's Achilles heel...

... but also, that was the year that many bots became parallel, and 4 processors vs 1 processor is a pretty big handicap.
IP Logged
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

« Reply #2 on: May 4th, 2011, 4:53am »

99of9 - are you saying that Gnobot copied the whole game, or just an opening pitfall?

Also, are you saying that if bomb was parallelized, that it might have still been on top that year (if also maybe some randomness was introduced into bomb)? ... or I guess you're saying that at least it might not have been overtaken by so many others.
IP Logged
UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #3 on: May 4th, 2011, 5:57am »

The games:

Bomb vs Clueless: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/jsShowGame.cgi?gid=98924&s=w

Bomb vs GnoBot: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/jsShowGame.cgi?gid=99124&s=w

An exact copy.
IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #4 on: May 4th, 2011, 6:27am »

For Gnobot's opening book, the "opening" continues until a position has never been seen before in the games database.  So as long as bomb kept following its losing path, gnobot was happy to follow as well.

It's hard to say how good a parallel bomb would play, but I'd guess that bomb would certainly have placed in the top two.  

But if I remember right, Opfor was not parallel either that year, and got a win over bomb... So maybe the gradual coding of human strategic knowledge had finally overwhelmed bomb's superb design.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2011, 6:34am by 99of9 » IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #5 on: May 4th, 2011, 7:25am »

Actually Opfor had already beaten Bomb in one game of the 2008 computer championship. So at least Opfor gave its warning in the previous year.

Clueless seems to have greatly improved between 2008 and 2009.
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #6 on: May 4th, 2011, 1:02pm »

To confirm the above, OpFor was not parallelized until 2010.

Also from 2006-2008 it seemed there was very little bot development going on by anybody. Since 2008 it has been great to see continual growth in the amount of development done by an ever expanding number of people.

Janzert
IP Logged
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

« Reply #7 on: May 4th, 2011, 6:21pm »

Those Bomb vs Clueless & Bomb vs GnoBot games were days apart.  99of9, did you do a last minute update before Gnobot played, or did it have access to finished games as they happened?

Also, bomb really did seem to be left behind that year (as OpFor wasn't parallel, so it wasn't just that), and even more so in 2010 & 2011.  Is the general reason because of better position evaluation, or better pruning techniques? (or a combination of both?)

Speaking of parallel, if Sharp is parallelized for next year, then it will be even stronger than it is now.  It's probably possible to work out how much stronger in terms of rating points, assuming nothing else changes (and assuming the hardware remains the same next year)?
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2011, 6:28pm by Swynndla » IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #8 on: May 4th, 2011, 7:02pm »

on May 4th, 2011, 6:21pm, Swynndla wrote:
Those Bomb vs Clueless & Bomb vs GnoBot games were days apart.  99of9, did you do a last minute update before Gnobot played, or did it have access to finished games as they happened?

Cheesy The only time bomb had played on that hardware was in the CC itself - so those were the games most likely to be repeatable.  So yes, I needed to update the opening book automatically before every game.  It provided endless annoying little tasks for omar, but since machine learning is allowed and encouraged, I figured it was ok to push him in this direction.  The finished games database had already been accessible live via the web for a couple of years before I put this in.
IP Logged
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

« Reply #9 on: May 4th, 2011, 7:17pm »

Interesting.

But tweaking the actual code of the bot wouldn't be allowed between games right?  What about changing a material weights table in a file because the developer saw that the bot was losing because it valued its camel too much? ... or tweaking an evaluation table in a file because the bot was falling for an opening pitfall?  I guess these things aren't allowed, but Gnobot already had the learning coded, and it just needed access to the games played.  Is that technique still used? ... or are the bots too randomized these days?

(Apologies for all my questions.)
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #10 on: May 4th, 2011, 7:59pm »

The developer isn't allowed to do anything once the CC starts.  Any changes have to be automatic (Omar is willing to run a script before each game, and the bot can run its own script after the game.)

A developer would not be allowed to maintain an external website which the bot looked up for extra code or evaluation weightings.  (This is against the rules but I don't think there's any technical prevention.)

So yes, Gnobot had to do it all by itself.

As far as I know, this year none of the bots were adaptive.  Gnobot can only use it for the opening book.  Since most other competitive bots have randomized, it is no longer so useful for game copying.  An adaptive opening book also helps a bot not to fall into opening traps like baiting.  It also gives a more interesting experience for humans playing regularly against the same bot, because it would change its behaviour based on past wins and losses.  But since the server version of the bots are frozen, this last benefit never really played out.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #11 on: May 4th, 2011, 10:11pm »

on May 4th, 2011, 6:21pm, Swynndla wrote:
Speaking of parallel, if Sharp is parallelized for next year, then it will be even stronger than it is now.  It's probably possible to work out how much stronger in terms of rating points, assuming nothing else changes (and assuming the hardware remains the same next year)?

Not exactly.  Parallelization of alpha-beta searching will be inefficient; the only question is how inefficient.  Going from one core to four cores does not give two doublings of speed; maybe only one and a half.

Also it is up for debate how many rating points are gained per doubling.  A good guess seems to be between fifty and one hundred.

Thus an extreme optimist might expect sharp to gain 200 rating points from parallelization, but it might well be only 75 points.  I personally think the latter is more realistic.  Do we have direct evidence on this score?  I'm curious to know how much other bots gained from going parallel, specifically clueless, GnoBot, and OpFor, which all were originally designed to be single-threaded.
IP Logged

UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #12 on: May 5th, 2011, 12:49am »

on May 4th, 2011, 7:59pm, 99of9 wrote:
A developer would not be allowed to maintain an external website which the bot looked up for extra code or evaluation weightings.  (This is against the rules but I don't think there's any technical prevention.)

A well-configured firewall allowing the bot server to contact only specified IP-s perhaps?

Note that if a bot contacts an external website it may not only update its evaluation table but it can effectively re-download itself and change dramatically. (Not too probable in fact.)
IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

« Reply #13 on: May 5th, 2011, 1:31am »

Quote:
Also, bomb really did seem to be left behind that year (as OpFor wasn't parallel, so it wasn't just that), and even more so in 2010 & 2011.  Is the general reason because of better position evaluation, or better pruning techniques? (or a combination of both?

I've asked so many questions - if I may, I wanted to ask this again in case it got missed.  (The answer may very well be "it's not as simple as that")
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #14 on: May 5th, 2011, 2:26am »

on May 5th, 2011, 12:49am, UruramTururam wrote:

A well-configured firewall allowing the bot server to contact only specified IP-s perhaps?

Note that if a bot contacts an external website it may not only update its evaluation table but it can effectively re-download itself and change dramatically. (Not too probable in fact.)

In the extreme case, even just allowing a bot to read the record of Arimaa games already allows the developer to communicate with the bot (although it would be a low-bandwidth channel). Among other possible methods of mischief...
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2011, 2:26am by rbarreira » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.