Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 9:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « It's good to see bots being improved »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   It's good to see bots being improved
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: It's good to see bots being improved  (Read 4404 times)
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

Re: It's good to see bots being improved
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12th, 2011, 5:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

No Fritz's games were Fast (ie 30 secs/move) not Blitz (ie 15 secs/move).  This is significant as Fritz's track record against Sharp2011 is about even or so in Blitz, but he dominates in it in Fast (30 secs), but this new marwin seems to have jumped in strength even at 30 secs/move.
IP Logged
froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

phm_42@yahoo.co.uk   anteater042

« Reply #16 on: Dec 12th, 2011, 10:15pm »

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/Bot_List
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2011, 7:45am by froody » IP Logged

“Arimaa holds its master in its own bonds, shackling the mind and brain so that the inner freedom of the very strongest must suffer”
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 12th, 2011, 10:46pm »

It's true that my blitz record against bots is much worse than my fast record.  That is to say, I suffer more from the speedup than an average human does.

There was a forum thread in which a two-parameter rating system was proposed: players would get a rating to reflect general playing strength and a "slope" to reflect how many rating points they gained (relatively speaking) for each doubling of thinking time.  Of course it might not be linear, but the idea was to reflect in the simplest model possible that more time helps different people differently.

Indeed, iirc, 99of9 implemented this long ago when we had much less data, and found that Omar had an even steeper slope than I, whereas PMertens seemed to play just as well at blitz as at slow games.  It would be interesting to re-run the model with the much larger dataset we now have.

[EDIT]
My memory was wrong.  99of9's numbers showed that I played just as well fast as slow, if not a little better.  But I remembered correctly that Omar was horrible at fast games and PMertens very good at them.  If anyone wants to investigate this with present-day data, this would be a good thread to bring back from the dead.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=talk;action=display;nu m=1103741634;start=15
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2011, 10:56pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 12th, 2011, 10:56pm »

on Dec 12th, 2011, 10:15pm, froody wrote:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/Bot_list

Thanks, froody.  But why are there two of them?
IP Logged

froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

phm_42@yahoo.co.uk   anteater042

« Reply #19 on: Dec 13th, 2011, 7:52am »

Me being stupid. Fixed now.

There are still details missing. Edit if you can, or post info here and someone will add it.
IP Logged

“Arimaa holds its master in its own bonds, shackling the mind and brain so that the inner freedom of the very strongest must suffer”
tize
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3121

« Reply #20 on: Dec 13th, 2011, 2:14pm »

on Dec 13th, 2011, 7:52am, froody wrote:
Edit if you can, or post info here and someone will add it.

Ok here is some data: Marwin first appeared 2008 and is written in C++. The version that competed in 2011 was 1.4MB in size, and right now he is made up of ~27k lines of code (everything included).
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #21 on: Dec 15th, 2011, 10:13am »

on Dec 12th, 2011, 3:03pm, Fritzlein wrote:

A more persuasive hypothesis may be that I am getting worse.  I just lost nine of twelve to Sharp2011Blitz.  (No, this isn't my tactic to get out of defending the Arimaa Challenge this year; I just couldn't compete.  Tongue)

If it had been a tactic it would be rendered invalid by your latest winning streak of 8 games against Sharp2011Blitz and marwin Wink
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #22 on: Dec 15th, 2011, 10:52am »

on Dec 15th, 2011, 10:13am, rbarreira wrote:
If it had been a tactic it would be rendered invalid by your latest winning streak of 8 games against Sharp2011Blitz and marwin Wink

Heh, I don't understand the difference.  I didn't have some flash of insight to help me play better.  Sometimes my brain works better than other times, for reasons unexplained.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.