Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 16th, 2024, 6:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « A cautionary note about randomness »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   A cautionary note about randomness
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A cautionary note about randomness  (Read 1495 times)
ddyer
Forum Guru

A cautionary note about randomness
« on: Aug 28th, 2012, 12:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was recently working on a UCT bot for Arimaa by trying to generate a random move directly, instead of generating all moves and selecting a random one.  This general method sped up the random playout rate by a factor of 5, which seemed wonderful.

Unfortunately, the new faster random bot consistently lost to the older, slower bot that was getting 5x fewer playouts.  

After some experimentation, I found that the problem was a bias built into my random move generator.  At one point in the process, a random piece has been selected and it can move in any direction.  

The "bad" code selected a random direction, then proceeded clockwise in the other directions if that one wasn't legal.

The "good" code selects a random direction among the directions not tried yet.

It's pretty shocking to me that the "bad" code still had an unacceptable bias; in fact one so severe that it always played worse, and sometimes made the obviously worst possible move.

IP Logged

visit my game site: http://www.boardspace.net/
free online abstract strategy games
Manuel
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4020

Re: A cautionary note about randomness
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29th, 2012, 2:48pm »

That is interesting!

I must say I am not too surprised, though: It is known that biases come very critically. On the other hand, the severness of the problem is shocking indeed.

I wonder whether your new method is actually unbiased enough. It may also be important to choose a new piece when a selected random step is not allowed, and not just a new direction.
Furthermore I wonder about biases in selecting the pieces in the first place. Do you first select a piece type and then the piece or do you select randomly out of the whole list of particles?
IP Logged
ddyer
Forum Guru

« Reply #2 on: Aug 30th, 2012, 3:57am »

It's hard to diagnose problems that are the endpoint of lots of deliberate randomness.  All I can say definitively is that making this small change in the randomization resulted in the obviously bad move getting a more appropriate UCT score.
IP Logged

clauchau
Forum Guru

bot Quantum Leapfrog's father

« Reply #3 on: Sep 3rd, 2012, 7:28am »

Hello Dave. When a rabbit is selected, is the illegal backward direction selected (and rejected) 1/4th of the times ? Then the bad code might be biased in favor of left rabbit move. The same for any piece blocked backward.
IP Logged
ddyer
Forum Guru

« Reply #4 on: Sep 4th, 2012, 4:48pm »

Right, the "left rabbit" bias could be the actual problem.  The point remains that the definition of "select a random move" is a subtle thing.
IP Logged

ddyer
Forum Guru

Re: A cautionary note about randomness Part 2
« Reply #5 on: Sep 7th, 2012, 4:58pm »

Applying random move generation to another game, Dvonn this time.  The  
original random move algorithm, which was  

Generate All Moves
   Pick a Random one and return it.

I wrote a simple "Random Move" function, by modifying the existing move generator.   The generator that resulted is essentially

Pick A random Starting Cell,
   Pick A random Direction,
    If that's a legal move, return it,  
   otherwise loop randomly through all directions,
  otherwise continue randomly with the rest of the cells.

This looked pretty reasonable, but to my surprise, getting 50% more playouts, it still played lots weaker than the original.

I decided this required a more systematic investigation, so I incorporated a Chi Square test into the random move generators, with shocking results.  The "original" hit right on the money, with only 5% of the playouts below the 5% probability level.  The new algorithm scored in the 80% range.

After some thought, I decided the problem was selecting all directions for a random cell. In Dvonn, some starting cells have 4-5 legal moves, while others have only 1.  This leads to over representing the cells that have fewer moves. The next take inverted the directions and the cell choice.

Pick A random Direction,
    otherwise continue randomly with the rest of the cells.
  otherwise loop randomly through all directions,

This scored Chi Square in the 60% range.

Thinking again, I realized that if for example there was only one move on the board that moved "left", it would certainly be chosen when the random direction was left, which is 1/6 of the time, so if the board itself became unbalanced, the random distribution would be skewed too.

So, take next

Pick A random Direction not tried yet for this cell,
otherwise continue with the rest of the cells

This scores at the desired 5% level, and also plays better due to more playouts.

---

So, hoping I haven't bored you too much with my lessons:  My intuition even as an experienced programmer was not good enough, even after several "aha" moments. Biases are subtle.  If my second algorithm had played even a little bit better than the first one, there would have been no more investigation.

Bottom line: You need to verify that your randomness really is random enough.

IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.