Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 12:17pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « a tournament ? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   a tournament ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: a tournament ?  (Read 7087 times)
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

Re: a tournament ?
« Reply #15 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 11:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Of course I am interested too Smiley
IP Logged
Ryan_Cable
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #951

« Reply #16 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 11:34am »

Unfortunately, I will be too busy for a tournament next month.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #17 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 12:30pm »

Ok, so far we've got 8 players interested :  
Fritzl  
chessandgo  
Adanac  
robinson  
Bobble  
PMertens  
Nick (hehe, I'm sorry Nick Wink)
arimaa_master

Does the following appeal to everyone : standard time setting with 45sec/move, 2 month to play the games (up to 25 September), colors up to the players ?

If so, we can begin right now, and if other people want to join, they're welcome to do so, say, during this week and the following one. You can post the result here, or send me a message if you fear the forum will get filled of results posts Wink

Have fun everyone, and be warned I'll try my best to defend my money Tongue

Jean
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 1:29pm »

on Jul 24th, 2006, 12:30pm, chessandgo wrote:
Does the following appeal to everyone : standard time setting with 45sec/move, 2 month to play the games (up to 25 September), colors up to the players ?

I'd prefer a double-round robin so that there are no disagreements over who should have gold/silver.  Most of the players in this tournament should have no problem playing 14 games in 60 days.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #19 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 1:53pm »

robin ? what does this mean ? as for the double round ... it's fine with me, what about the others ?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 3:02pm »

Chessandgo, will you maintain a table with the tournament standings, in this thread or elsewhere?  I tried to do something like that in this thread:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=talk;action=display;nu m=1112302914

A table would be useful just to help us see which games still need to be played.  Also, how will you know which games are the tournament games and which games are just for fun between the players?  For example, I see game 35437 between arimaa_master and PMertens; was that part of the tournament?
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2006, 3:07pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #21 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 5:20pm »

in theory it could be ... but he only read the "lets go" post during the game so I leave the decision to him Wink
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #22 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 6:14pm »

Thanks for the link, Karl, i'll try to understand what you did and mimic it.
As for your question, I was going to answer that we (apart maybe from Bobble) were well-behaving adults, so no problem should arise, but I see you coming big as an elephant, telling me that better have written rules etc ...

In case you really want me to design such a rules set, take a look at http://membres.lycos.fr/chessandgo/rules.html.txt
but I fear it won't appeal to you Tongue
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #23 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 7:14pm »

Those rules read like they were writen by an ill-behaving camel!
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #24 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 10:22pm »

Rule #9: The winner of each game shall win, unless he loses.

Rule #10: No game shall count for purposes of the tournament if it has a starting time after its ending time.

Rule #11: Fritzlein shall not be satisfied unless the tournament has at least twenty rules!
IP Logged

seanick
Forum Guru

SeaNICK

seanick
Email

« Reply #25 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 10:53pm »

Rule 12: no game may be replayed solely for the sake of doubling the effect. replays may only occur by coincidence, accident, deliberate matrix glitches, and cosmic events.  

Rule 14: there should be no unlucky rule numbers.  
Rule 15: Rule 13 was not skipped because of Rule 14, it just wasn't remembered in time. 19 is the only unlucky number that must not be ruled.  

ok but seriously guys. Who is going to be the organizer if all we have are a bunch of nincompoops deciding useless rules, like myself, or others of equally foolish humor? we should at least come up with some form of consensus on a game speed, and that the games be rated, decided to count for the match beforehand and posted as such so people may watch, learn, ponder and be amused by the antics of those in the spotlight.  

I also think the championship rounds should at least happen a day after the results have been tallied so that people have time to find out when that final will be. other than that, I am ready whenever anyone else is.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #26 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 11:11pm »

Wait guys, it's going crazy in there. If you want to play a championship formula, with separate rounds, it means everyone has to play about at the same time each round to launch the following in time ...

That's not at all what I was suggesting ... so I sum up everything again, reminding you that scheduling games should be really hard, and that for purpose of amusement giving free hands to the players should make our life easier.

- each pair of players plays one (two ?) games whenever they want
- games are played at the usual 45 sec/move setting
- players sent me a private message to tell me the result when the game is over, and I'll maintain a table with the results as suggested by Karl
- on 25th september 00 GMT the player with the more wins wins the tournament .. and $30

Is this fine with everyone, or are there other people who'll do as Nick, and request that we do differently Huh
The only last question (if you all agree with this free scheduling) is whether we should play one or two games per pair of players. Adanac is for the latter, I don't care, just vote so that we decide quickly ...

Jean
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #27 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 11:34pm »

I don't care between one game or two: whatever people vote for who care is fine with me.
IP Logged

robinson
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #719

119532424 119532424    
Email

« Reply #28 on: Jul 25th, 2006, 4:12am »

i am thinking like fritzl...
IP Logged
H_Bobbeltoff
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #1924

« Reply #29 on: Jul 25th, 2006, 8:00am »

I suppose someone should actually vote, lest we end up with eight abstainees. So I vote for two games each. 14 games in two months... that should be do-able.

on Jul 24th, 2006, 6:14pm, chessandgo wrote:
As for your question, I was going to answer that we (apart maybe from Bobble) were well-behaving adults, so no problem should arise...

Hey! Are you suggesting I am not an adult, or not well-behaved? Or both?  Tongue
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.