Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 5:08am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2007 World Championship Discussion »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2007 World Championship Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2007 World Championship Discussion  (Read 5102 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 2007 World Championship Discussion
« Reply #30 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 1:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Nov 13th, 2006, 12:14pm, PMertens wrote:
I would not mind being able to play on mondays or tuesdays as well ... especially when weekends are going to be busy ...

What should be compressed?

1) The time between the last game finishing and Omar posting new pairings?
2) The time between pairings being posted, and games being scheduled?
3) The time between games being scheduled and games possibly starting?

Squeezing (1) or (2) puts pressure on Omar, while squeezing (2) or (3) puts pressure on the players.  Still, it would be doable if it could be made very regular.

One thing that would still worry me is the high proportion of unusable slots early in the week.  Let's say we had one more day, so 71 slots to choose from instead of 59.  That would mean we had to pick 36 slots instead of 30 to insure an overlap.  Usually I won't be able to pick six of the additional twelve.  I'll get at most four additional feasible slots (one morning and three evening) per additional weekday.  So having another weekday in play would actually put me under more scheduling pressure for most weeks.

Of course, not everyone has a 9-to-5-plus-commute type of job.  A month ago, when I was working part-time on a very flexible schedule, having an extra weekday would have helped me rather than hurt me, because I would have been able to pick seven slots on some weekdays, if need be.  Given the variety of situations the players are in, I'm curious how other people feel about this.
IP Logged

PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #31 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 2:32pm »

As far as I remember posting the new pairing was done almost immidiatly ... so not much to compress there.
Why can I only put up my schedule after I know my opponent ? There is actually no need for that ... (even though I prefer manual handshaking over the scheduling anyway - but knowing it is not an option on a large scale)

Anyway ... of course I made this post mainly because I am personally in a rather tight situation this week.
Probably neither nor tuesday would help me due to the different timezones Adanac and I are in Sad
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #32 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 5:49pm »

on Nov 13th, 2006, 2:32pm, PMertens wrote:
As far as I remember posting the new pairing was done almost immidiatly ... so not much to compress there.

Yes, but is it fair to Omar to expect that it will always be done immediately?  I don't know, maybe he can keep every Sunday afternoon free...

Quote:
Why can I only put up my schedule after I know my opponent ? There is actually no need for that ...

That's true.  Sometimes I adjust my preferences because I know the time zone of my opponent, but this isn't necessary.  If necessary I could post preferences before the previous round completed.  I couldn't post my predictions before the pairings are up, but that is an issue of how compressed the time is between when the pairings are up and when the games actually start being played.

Quote:
Anyway ... of course I made this post mainly because I am personally in a rather tight situation this week.
Probably neither nor tuesday would help me due to the different timezones Adanac and I are in Sad

Having Tuesday might not help you even if Adanac were in Germany.  I suspect you are looking for 30 spots and want more options for where to put those 30, but if you had 12 more options and needed to select 36 spots, you would be no better off.  Or do you not work this Tuesday?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #33 on: Nov 15th, 2006, 10:18pm »

on Nov 7th, 2006, 1:39pm, Adanac wrote:
This year, Mel is hosting her annual party on Saturday November 11th and I'm playing megamau next morning at 5am.  Oh yes, it all sounds very familiar!!

This is just getting weirder.  Now that Adanac has won in the first round against megamau again (albeit by timeout rather than forfeit) he is paired in the second round against PMertens again!  Apart from these two games, no one has been paired with anyone this year that they were also paired with last year.  

I don't know about anyone else, but based on the way history is repeating itself, I'm betting 100% on Adanac to win in 65 moves again.
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2006, 10:18pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #34 on: Nov 20th, 2006, 8:10am »

Now the prediction contest really begins.  Trelawney forsees big changes in the leaderboard now that there are almost no lopsided matches remaining.  Don't take too much risk at this point.  Predictors can catch up if they wisely read their tea leaves.  Mine keep telling me to drink coffee instead.
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #35 on: Nov 20th, 2006, 8:40am »

Quote:
I don't know about anyone else, but based on the way history is repeating itself, I'm betting 100% on Adanac to win in 65 moves again.

Somehow I doubt that you really did that   Shocked

Quote:
Now the prediction contest really begins

Absolutely ... even I have only 3 games left were I am going to bet 100%.
IP Logged
Microbe
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #1977

« Reply #36 on: Nov 20th, 2006, 9:05am »

I had to go home last weekend to see my girlfriend so I missed the last round. So I'm busy catching up on the games I missed.

What happened about the game Richard didn't play? Why couldn't he make it?
IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #37 on: Nov 20th, 2006, 12:05pm »

Unfortunately, a significant number of the times that I was forced to pick this week will be while I am traveling for the Thanksgiving holiday.  I will be with family in a hotel in San Diego, and vacations with my family are always extremely busy.  It is very unlikely that I will be able to play a game if it is scheduled after Thursday morning PST.

Heres' hoping that I end up with the game scheduled Tuesday or Wednesday, otherwise Adanac will most likely get a bye.  Sad
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #38 on: Nov 20th, 2006, 5:23pm »

on Nov 20th, 2006, 12:05pm, IdahoEv wrote:
Unfortunately, a significant number of the times that I was forced to pick this week will be while I am traveling for the Thanksgiving holiday.  I will be with family in a hotel in San Diego, and vacations with my family are always extremely busy.  It is very unlikely that I will be able to play a game if it is scheduled after Thursday morning PST.

Heres' hoping that I end up with the game scheduled Tuesday or Wednesday, otherwise Adanac will most likely get a bye.  Sad

I didn't receive an e-mail this week to set my 30 time slots and and I can't remember where to change it.  It's very possible that we'll end up with a time slot that doesn't work for either of us Sad
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #39 on: Nov 20th, 2006, 6:13pm »

I posted the URL in comments to your game, Adanac, but in case anyone else is interested, it is

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wc/2007/selectTimes.cgi

The special thing about the e-mail URL is that it has an authorization code, but if you don't have that code, you can still go to the above URL, log into the game room, reload the game-time selection page.
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

« Reply #40 on: Nov 26th, 2006, 2:40pm »

I note that the pairing for round 4 had bad choices for gold/silver for 99of9 v IdahoEv, Brendan v robinson, and jdb v omar.  After talking with omar and verifying that reversing gold/silver for these matches is appropriate, I have approved the reversal.

I remember there was an effort to test the pairing program, but somehow it has a bug.  That's what muggles get for trying their own spells.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #41 on: Nov 26th, 2006, 5:51pm »

Note that the game times are already posted, even though the previous round just finished.  This is because PMertens and chessandgo asked for their game against each other to be on Tuesday night, earlier than any available slots in the scheduler.  Omar ran the scheduler so that he could change their game time by hand.  For the rest of us, he will run the scheduler again at the usual time, so you still have 24 hours to enter your preferences for this week.  (I'm not sure IdahoEv will want to play Tuesday midnight this week, like he did last week when he had Thanksgiving vacation disrupting his schedule.)
IP Logged

IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #42 on: Nov 27th, 2006, 12:21am »

on Nov 26th, 2006, 5:51pm, Fritzlein wrote:
(I'm not sure IdahoEv will want to play Tuesday midnight this week, like he did last week when he had Thanksgiving vacation disrupting his schedule.)

Actually, midnight times are usually fine with me.   It's the 8:00am times that scare me.   People are actually awake at that hour, and lucid enough to play arimaa?
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

« Reply #43 on: Dec 4th, 2006, 8:19pm »

Players,

We have determined that Brendan's forfeit was due to temporarily incorrect information on the game site.  We have decided to reschedule the game Brendan v. robinson.  If they can play this game early this week, round 5 games may be able to be played later this week.  As of now, round 5 pairings and predictions are void until the Brendan v. robinson game has been completed.  Thank you for your patience.

Tournament Director
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2006, 6:49am by RonWeasley » IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #44 on: Dec 5th, 2006, 6:10pm »

Please hurry to get it rescheduled.  Christmas poses high forfeit risks, so it would be good to get in as many as possible of the rounds before then.  I hope we can still play round 5 this weekend!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.