Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 7:45pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2007 World Championship Discussion »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2007 World Championship Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2007 World Championship Discussion  (Read 5106 times)
DorianGaray
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1210

Re: 2007 World Championship Discussion
« Reply #45 on: Dec 6th, 2006, 4:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

How about a recess for the Xmas/New year period?
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #46 on: Dec 8th, 2006, 4:36am »

Hello,

The first scheduled game for round 5 should begin in about 36 hours, and we still have no news about the late Brendan-Rob game. Just for the sake of organizing our week-end, are we going to play ? Or will this round be postponed ? It would be great to know whether we can freely plan our week-end or not ...

Thanks !

Jean
IP Logged

PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #47 on: Dec 8th, 2006, 4:47am »

The information flow on this is somehow a bit low Sad
IMHO the games have not yet been scheduled (and cannot be since the opponents are not yet fixed)

I assume that postponing and first bringing certainty into the whole thing would be the wise choice.

Have a nice weekend ...
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #48 on: Dec 8th, 2006, 6:12am »

I hope we can at least have the robinson / Brendan game this weekend, so that we can use the normal scheduler again for next week.
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2006, 6:13am by 99of9 » IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #49 on: Dec 8th, 2006, 7:30am »

Round 5 is postponed until next week Dec. 11-16.

Sorry, players.  We hoped to get the Brendan-robinson game in this week.  We haven't gotten any response from robinson so we think the game site e-mail for him doesn't work anymore.  We're trying other means.

I realize the players have lives and need to plan their weekends.  At this point, if we tried to play round 5 this weekend, conditional on the Brendan-robinson game, players would not know if they have a game or not, since the pairings will be different if Brendan wins.  Even if the game happens today and robinson wins, preserving the current round 5 pairings, there's not enough time left to reasonably inform players that the games are on.  The postponement is also in consideration for the spectators.

Our current last resort plan is to schedule Brendan-robinson for Sunday at the time currently reserved for PMertens-robinson.  That way robinson shows up and plays even if none of our messages reach him.  This is subject to change if Brendan and robinson agree to a different time.  Remember that the game site gave Brendan the wrong time for this round 4 game and that's why we're giving it special consideration.

We apologize for the confusion.

Tournament Director
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #50 on: Dec 8th, 2006, 10:25am »

I will try to reach him on his phone ...
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #51 on: Dec 8th, 2006, 2:08pm »

Rob just told me that he can play on sunday at 21:00 CET (as scheduled against me)

Actually he could play more or less anytime on sunday ...
If there is anything else then I will transfer any information to him via phone ... (I will be checking my mail/forum every few hours anyway)
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #52 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:53am »

It was an unhappy event that chessandgo lost his connection and timed out in his round 5 game against Fritzlein.  This was a game between premier players that many spectators anticipated.

After the timeout, there was discussion about restarting the game at the end position.  We all wanted to see these two play.  After reflecting on that discussion, I was impressed with the sportsmanship of all involved in their desire to see the game resolved by playing it out rather than accepting the outcome on the connection technicality.  However, sportsmanship became complicated when considering other games in the tournament decided by connection failure.  We all accepted those outcomes as unfortunate, but fair.  Note that the Brendan/robinson game problem was caused by an error on the game site, but the other connection losses were caused by events external to the game site.

Therefore, I have decided this game must stand as a win for Fritzlein.  Letting it get rescheduled would be essentially discrimination against lower rated players.  I would propose that next year's tournament include a rule for continuing disconnected games within some reasonable time limit.  That way we can address connection issues while applying the tournament rules equally to all players.

I have discussed this ruling with the players involved and I am greatful for their graciousness in accepting it.  I am hopeful for a nicely connected tournament from here on out.

Tournament Director
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #53 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 7:36pm »

I cannot promise anything about my connections, since the tournament somehow did move into my move into my new house ... (due to well known reasons I was not totally uninvolved in ...)
I will try to be able to play ... but actually the 27th might be the first, last and therefore only day Sad
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #54 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:33pm »

I agree with Ned's decision. In situations like this if we stick strictly with the tournament rules then the decision is easy and fair to everyone.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #55 on: Dec 24th, 2006, 12:25am »

I understand your ruling, Ron, and I accept it, although I would rather have resumed the game.  Forfeits and timeouts have really plagued this tournament, so I think there should be an official possibility to resume games written into the rules for next year, with a procedure detailed enough that it can fairly apply to all players.

Another change to consider for next year is making the pairings blind to pre-tournament ratings.  A ratings-blind tournament would have a lesser chance of crowning the best player as champion, but right now the ratings have too much of an effect.  This year the bad luck of chessandgo's disconnect has combined with my #1 seed to give a ridiculous inequity: I have so far had games against seeds 20, 15, and 13, with two free games while PMertens has had games against seeds 14, 5, 4, 3, and 2.  

on Dec 23rd, 2006, 7:36pm, PMertens wrote:
but actually the 27th might be the first, last and therefore only day Sad

You are not allowed to forfeit against me, PMertens.  If you do, I could conceivably win round 7 and become World Champion having beaten only one player in the top half of the draw, while you and chessandgo have each beaten three.

What time slots work for you on the 27th?  I could comfortably play 1, 2, 3, or 13.  Slots 4 and 7 are not so good, but I'd rather play then than see you forfeit.  Also, if Omar allows us to schedule a game on the 26th, i.e. earlier than the official window, -4 and -3 are good for me, while -5 and 0 are inconvenient but possible.  But maybe the 26th is bad for you, since you said the 27th is the "first and last" day.

You really need to play this game, because if you and chessandgo both win in round six, you will get to play me again in round seven while chessandgo takes the bye.  Could your heart desire more than an opportunity to humiliate the #1 seed in back-to-back games?  Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2006, 12:28am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #56 on: Dec 24th, 2006, 5:05am »

I guess anytime after 14:00 CET on the 27th is good for me ...
Unfortunately my hearts desires have little to do with my real life in this special case ...
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #57 on: Dec 24th, 2006, 11:28am »

on Dec 24th, 2006, 5:05am, PMertens wrote:
I guess anytime after 14:00 CET on the 27th is good for me ...

OK, so if I am converting time zones correctly, our only hope is slot #7, correct?
IP Logged

DorianGaray
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1210

« Reply #58 on: Dec 24th, 2006, 3:33pm »

on Dec 24th, 2006, 12:25am, Fritzlein wrote:
I understand your ruling, Ron, and I accept it, although I would rather have resumed the game.  Forfeits and timeouts have really plagued this tournament, so I think there should be an official possibility to resume games written into the rules for next year, with a procedure detailed enough that it can fairly apply to all players.

Another change to consider for next year is making the pairings blind to pre-tournament ratings.  A ratings-blind tournament would have a lesser chance of crowning the best player as champion, but right now the ratings have too much of an effect.  This year the bad luck of chessandgo's disconnect has combined with my #1 seed to give a ridiculous inequity: I have so far had games against seeds 20, 15, and 13, with two free games while PMertens has had games against seeds 14, 5, 4, 3, and 2.  

You are not allowed to forfeit against me, PMertens.  If you do, I could conceivably win round 7 and become World Champion having beaten only one player in the top half of the draw, while you and chessandgo have each beaten three.

What time slots work for you on the 27th?  I could comfortably play 1, 2, 3, or 13.  Slots 4 and 7 are not so good, but I'd rather play then than see you forfeit.  Also, if Omar allows us to schedule a game on the 26th, i.e. earlier than the official window, -4 and -3 are good for me, while -5 and 0 are inconvenient but possible.  But maybe the 26th is bad for you, since you said the 27th is the "first and last" day.

You really need to play this game, because if you and chessandgo both win in round six, you will get to play me again in round seven while chessandgo takes the bye.  Could your heart desire more than an opportunity to humiliate the #1 seed in back-to-back games?  Smiley

I agree that fair is fair but for next year we should definitely think of rules to considerably reduce if not totally eliminate the games decided on technical defects.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #59 on: Dec 24th, 2006, 9:05pm »

I just ran the pairing for round 6. The pairing program thinks 99of9 should play gold and chessandgo silver, but I think it should be the other way around. Would like the TD to consider if this change should be made.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.