Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 4:37pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2007 World Championship Discussion »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2007 World Championship Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2007 World Championship Discussion  (Read 5104 times)
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

Re: 2007 World Championship Discussion
« Reply #60 on: Dec 25th, 2006, 5:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Omar, as discussed in the Player Availability forum, for my game vs Jean, could you please fix the time by hand?

I have no comment on the colours, I haven't been following, but I have played quite a few golds so far!
« Last Edit: Dec 25th, 2006, 5:41am by 99of9 » IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #61 on: Dec 26th, 2006, 5:06am »

Thanks Omar for setting our time in this half-slot.  
I've got a question : as mentionned before, the internet cafe opens at 10:00; just the starting time, so I cannot be sure that I'll be connected before 10:03 ("Note that if you do not enter the game within 3 minutes  
after the game start time, you will lose by forfeit.").  
Is there a way to make it so that I'm not officially forfeit before; say; 10:10 ?

Thanks

Jean
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #62 on: Dec 26th, 2006, 10:00am »

Omar,

Looking at past pairings, 99of9 has had 3 golds and 2 silvers.  Chessandgo has had 2 golds and 3 silvers.  I agree that for round 6, chessandgo should be gold and 99of9 silver.

I approve the change.

Tournament Director
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

« Reply #63 on: Dec 26th, 2006, 10:20am »

chessandgo and 99of9,

The short answer is that I think a start time of 10 minutes after the hour is reasonable.

The long answer:  Time blocks starting strictly on the hour are an approximation to an ideal time which could be agreed to by players.  In practice, scheduling at odd times puts an unreasonable burden on Omar and the scheduling software.  I think the current software allows a tournament game remains playable for an hour and a half past its scheduled time, and in the past players have begun much later than the 3 minutes stated in the rules.  The purpose of the rule is to enable a fair rendezvous.  With chessandgo's request for a game time later than the hour, assuming 99of9 agrees, the scheduling software can still schedule the game on the hour and the players can begin the game later at their agreed time (which takes precedence).

99of9, please confirm in this forum you agree to a start time between the scheduled hour and, let's say for safety, 30 minutes past.

Tournament Director
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #64 on: Dec 27th, 2006, 1:35pm »

Toby told me he would not have internet access until the game starts, but we agreed informally on this in the chatroom.
I hope if I'm 5 mn late and Toby gets disconnected at 10:04 the game will be played anyway.

Regards

Jean
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #65 on: Dec 29th, 2006, 1:12am »

I'm back from holidays.  Yes, I agree that I will wait for Jean.  Me getting disconnected after 4 minutes is just as likely as getting disconnected any time during the game...
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

« Reply #66 on: Dec 29th, 2006, 6:26pm »

Well I'm glad we got the chessandgo - 99of9 game played.  At the time of this writing, I think the prediction contest ignored our predictions and gave everybody a -21.  I hate -21.  Loathe that number.

Anyway, I assume Omar is aware and fixing the problem.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #67 on: Dec 31st, 2006, 10:30pm »

Yeah, I finally figured out why it wasn't showing up right. The predictions were made for: 99of9 vs chessandgo, but the game was played as: chessandgo vs 99of9. I've fixed it now, so everyone who predicted should see the correct points for this game.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #68 on: Jan 9th, 2007, 3:26pm »

It is interesting that the top three predictors (with one game to go) are all non-players.  Of the 20 tournament players, only 12 entered the prediction contest, while the other 13 in the prediction contest didn't play in the tournament.  Maybe we are getting close to the year when it makes sense to reserve the prediction contest for folks not playing in the World Championship itself.  Or maybe there is no need to change the rule, because the folks interested in each will participate in each, and we will find there is actually not that much overlap.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #69 on: Jan 21st, 2007, 2:42pm »

Players are at a little bit of a prediction disadvantage, so I'm not surprised that non-players have outdone players.  But I don't think that's any reason to exclude the players.

What happened to the 2nd place playoff game?  On my clock we're 2.5 hours past the scheduled start time.
IP Logged
UltraWeak
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #626

« Reply #70 on: Jan 21st, 2007, 3:21pm »

The game is apparently scheduled on next Sunday, 1/28. You can see it by clicking on the game board.
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #71 on: Jan 21st, 2007, 3:59pm »

sorry for dragging this out, but I was unable to play this week ...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.