Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 4:13pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2008 Computer Champioship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2008 Computer Champioship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2008 Computer Champioship  (Read 2898 times)
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

Re: 2008 Computer Champioship
« Reply #15 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 6:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Mar 7th, 2008, 3:48am, arimaa_master wrote:

I have two notes for two guys Smiley

1) Omar: It would be nice to add "Event coverage" link to Computer Championship (like is already in World Championship)

2) Adanac (or Fritzlein): here http://katieandkarl.pbwiki.com/2008+Arimaa+Computer+Championship
 is comment "Loc vs. Clueless" the same one like in "Bomb vs. Zombie"

Thanks for noticing that.  I'll have to re-write the Loc-Clueless game since I already saved over the proper Word document summary  Embarassed
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #16 on: Mar 9th, 2008, 8:07am »

I was looking at the logs of the sharp vs Zombie game and it seems that there may have been a technical problem (not a fault of Zombie) which caused Zombie to timeout. I have canceled the bot games for today, until I investigate this some more and track down what happened.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2008, 8:08am by omar » IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #17 on: Mar 9th, 2008, 4:20pm »

I spoke with Omar today.  We decided to continue the bot_sharp v bot_Zombie game from the position where the arimaa site interrupted Zombie's move.  The reserve times may be restored a bit generously since the exact reserve times are unavailable.

We considered restarting from the beginning but decided the original moves under tournament conditions should count.

TD
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #18 on: Mar 9th, 2008, 10:49pm »

Thanks for posting this Ned. I was able to restore the game and continue it from the same position. bot_Zombie made the same move for 20b that it had tried to send when the game timed out. After this game finishes I will continue the tournament tomorrow with round 5. Will try to setup the games a bit later so that the developers and fans will have a chance to see when the bots play and come to watch the games.
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #19 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 12:01am »

In this game between Zombie and Sharp, Sharp spotted a forced goal in four on move 41w (And it is possible it spotted the forced goal on 40w, because it moved in 33s, although we don't have confirmation for that.) I've added the position as a puzzle. Here's the link:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/puzzles/show.cgi?p=p37

Perhaps this position is a bit simple, but it's still impressive.

Would someone add it to the wiki for me? Thanks.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2008, 12:09am by The_Jeh » IP Logged
lightvector
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2543

« Reply #20 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 10:28am »

Very interesting.

I have run my sharp on that position on my laptop, and I am quite confident that it does not actually see a forced goal yet. At that point, what it sees is a horse capture and a strong goal threat. It does see the goal on the move after that though.

I looked at my code and discovered that I had implemented a relatively low cap on the number of ply in the search: 16. I'm not quite sure why I set it that low, since it would help a bit to set it higher for positions like this. I'm going to change this in the next version. Anyways, because practically every move other than the moves actually made allows immediate 4-step goal by one side or the other, the goal tree can cut off a HUGE amount of the search tree. So sharp is actually hitting the 16-ply cap at full width in mere seconds (and consequently, seeing up to 20-ply goals using the goal tree). I suppose it also doesn't hurt that the first move is a horse capture, so it is searching that move first.

Just to see how far sharp could search without a depth cap, I ran it again, and apparently it would get to about 19 or 20 ply at full-width under the tournament time controls. I have to say that this position is quite amazing, since I have never seen my bot get that deep before (without being cut off at, say, 12 ply by seeing a goal).

Anyways, you probably want to do some more rigorous analysis to make sure that the position really is goal in 4 moves. I wonder what Bomb has to say. =)
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2008, 10:29am by lightvector » IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #21 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 11:03am »

Ahh, I had thought the quick move in 14 seconds indicated that it saw the goal. Your explanation actually make more sense, even if it is a bit more mundane. Wink

Janzert
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #22 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 12:06pm »

Upon review, I don't think it is goal in four, but I do think it is goal in five. I'll have to make some changes.

[edit] or maybe six? At this point, it is not a puzzle, but just an endgame.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2008, 2:46pm by The_Jeh » IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #23 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 7:47pm »

Omar, if possible and not a problem for someone else could the round 6 bomb vs opfor game be moved to after 3:30pm EDT?

I won't be able able to spectate till then. If it can't be changed though, not a problem.

Thanks,
Janzert
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #24 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 10:39pm »

No problem. Changed time to 4 pm.
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #25 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 11:03pm »

Thanks, Omar.

Janzert
IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #26 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 3:06am »

This is a really interesting time for the  Arimaa AI competition!   All of the top four bots in the CC beat at least one of the other four and lost to at least one ... no bot is the clear leader against all others any longer!

Bomb would still seem to be the leader, except that it lost to OpFor, which in turn lost to Zombie.   Perhaps OpFor has an unusual strategy that exploits a weakness in Bomb, but which is weaker against Zombie and Sharp?  

I suspect some developers will be putting in a few hours this year...  I know I will.

IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #27 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 7:21am »

I'll try to add summaries for the round 5 Computer Championship tonight at katieandkarl.pbwiki.com.  My time will be slightly limited, and game # 72026 had an incredibly difficult endgame.  If anyone has some time today for an analysis:

1.  Did Zombie have a forced win after its 33rd move?  If not, how incredible that those 2 seventh-rank rabbits couldn't be forced north!

2.  Rather than wasting its final step(s) on move 35, did Zombie have anything stronger?

3.  Was it a blunder for sharp to advance a rabbit to h6 on move 39 (Would any human advance a rabbit south in that situation!?).  Or was it a forced win for sharp after 39 moves?

If anyone has time to take a look, that's great!  If not, I'll take a closer look later.  To make my life easier, I'll probably start with a summary of Opfor-Bomb tonight and do Zombie-sharp second  Cheesy
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #28 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 10:04pm »

After a closer analysis tonight, the Zombie - sharp endgame was definitely a forced win for Zombie.  However, it's not the quick forced goal it appears to be after a quick glance at move 33.  I haven't had time for a complete analysis but I haven't yet found a way for silver to refute 34w Ef4e Eg4n cg6w Eg5n.  Also, the move Zombie played also seems to force a win after a long sequence of moves.

Also, if Zombie had simply captured the cat on move 37, it looks like it would have been an easy victory - sharp can bring its elephant to d6 and camel to g4 but Zombie can capture two silver rabbits on the east side and begin a very powerful gold rabbit advance to h5.  Even though sharp can stop the immediate goal threats, it gives Zombie time to completely dominate the board and force multiple other threats.

I'll write up a summary for this game tomorrow.  I won't go into too much detail but I'll mention that Zombie had a powerful advantage at move 33, but lost it through an inaccurate sequence of moves.
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #29 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 10:16pm »

Adanac, did you see Fritzlein's comment attached to the game? He did some analyses with Bomb looking for a forced goal the other night and couldn't find one.

Janzert
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.