Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 4:28am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2008 Computer Champioship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2008 Computer Champioship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2008 Computer Champioship  (Read 2897 times)
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

Re: 2008 Computer Champioship
« Reply #30 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 11:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Congratulations to David Fotland for winning the Arimaa Computer World Championship for the fifth time in a row!
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #31 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 1:02pm »

I'm joining aaaa and others congratulating David Fotland and bot_bomb2005CC for winning the Arimaa Computer World Championship.  We had some new bots this year that specifically targeted bomb as their competition.  Still, bomb continues to be the standard by which we measure all bots.  This bot has great staying power.  Once again, all the other developers are thinking about next year.

Thanx also to the other competitors.  We had some of the most exciting games ever.  We're all looking forward to improved versions in the coming months and a challenging championship next year.

TD
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2008, 1:02pm by RonWeasley » IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #32 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 3:09pm »

I'll add my congratulations to David Fotland as well. Bomb certainly still deserves the title.

I hope we can provide you with some more competition by next year. Smiley

Janzert
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #33 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 8:33pm »

Every year that Bomb wins again without further improvement makes the initial achievement all the more amazing.  I was impressed with Bomb's prowess already in 2005, but I had no idea what a technical feat it was for a bot to be that good.  When I first started playing in mid-2004, I took Bomb as evidence that Arimaa probably wasn't terribly computer-resistant after all, and Omar's claims were overblown.

As a group we know much more about Arimaa strategy than we did three years ago.  In hindsight it seems clear that Arimaa really is hard for software to tackle, and human approaches to the game have non-trivial strength.  But it is interesting how that additional strategic information hasn't been enough to help other developers unseat the old-fashioned style of Bomb.  Apparently additional human-type knowledge of how to play is less important than engineering excellence encoding the fundamental strategies.

That said, it is impressive that two newcomers finished second and third ahead of last year's second-place finisher.  Kudos to sharp and Opfor as well.  The non-Bomb state of the art does seem to be improving, and we can count on the bar being raised before too long.
IP Logged

IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #34 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 2:23am »

My congratulations to the entire field, but particularly to the newcomers Sharp and OpFor!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.