Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 8:22am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2009 World Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2009 World Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8  ...  10 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2009 World Championship  (Read 9054 times)
woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

Re: 2009 World Championship
« Reply #75 on: Feb 1st, 2009, 1:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I would feel very uncomfortable when awarded a win in that way. It is punishing soldier in a situation where he has no fault. I think it is better to keep the result as it was over the board and award the win to soldier.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #76 on: Feb 1st, 2009, 6:09am »

Ha, both soldier and woh want to give the win to the other player.  I have never seen such graciousness in a sporting event.

Of course we can't force the two of them to play, but I for one think the tournament should be delayed by a week to accommodate a replay and not give either player a loss "off the board".  If enough of the tournament participants say they would prefer this outcome, perhaps soldier and woh can be persuaded that they will be doing good rather than harm to play out their interrupted game to completion.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #77 on: Feb 1st, 2009, 6:36am »

I have nothing against delaying the tournament. In general, the feeling is that it would be good to have a game continued when it's been interupted due to server issues, and it's very understandable that the game sometimes cannot be rescheduled in time for next round. I hope soldier-woh will get decided on the board in the end!

Jean
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2009, 6:42am by chessandgo » IP Logged

arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #78 on: Feb 1st, 2009, 7:19am »

I am fine with postponing tournament for one week.
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #79 on: Feb 1st, 2009, 1:21pm »

I would prefer a delay and see this game continued.  Omar, please inform me if this can't happen.

TD
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #80 on: Feb 1st, 2009, 2:25pm »

During The_Jeh vs. arimaa_master, I counted a peak of 22 people logged in and 11 people in chat.  The Arimaa community is thriving!
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #81 on: Feb 1st, 2009, 4:40pm »

on Feb 1st, 2009, 1:50am, woh wrote:
I would feel very uncomfortable when awarded a win in that way. It is punishing soldier in a situation where he has no fault. I think it is better to keep the result as it was over the board and award the win to soldier.

woh, if the game was re-scheduled would you show up to play? If the answer is yes, then I think we can continue as if you won. I have proceeded based on the assumption that your answer to this question would be yes.

Last night I met soldier at a birthday party and spoke to him in person. The gist of our conversation was that I told him the TD decided that the game must be replayed since there was a problem with the server and we would have to play it tomorrow or delay the tournament and play it next week. He basically said that's OK, I would have lost, I don't want to delay anything, I'll just let him win. Keep in mind that he also does not have internet at home since his family is in the process of moving and he would have to ask his dad to drive him somewhere to get an internet connection. I told him that was very nice and considerate of him to do this and he was being a good sport. His face lit up with a big smile.

Sorry woh I didn't send you all this details earlier. I think your response was valid since my previous post makes it sound like soldier still wants to play if we delayed the tournament. I hope this clears up the situation and you will accept the win without feeling bad about it.  

Any matters that we can resolve without delaying the tournament buys us time to be able to delay the tournament later for matters which absolutely can't be resolved without delaying the tournament.

Ron, I think the course of action I have taken still preserves your decision that the game should be replayed. I have assumed that from soldiers personal statements to me it is equivalent to him forfeiting the next game with woh and requesting to still continue the tournament. I have also assumed that woh would not forfeit such a game. Please let me know by email if you would like me to take different actions.
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2009, 7:18am by omar » IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #82 on: Feb 2nd, 2009, 5:55am »

Recent discussions have determined that soldier is unable, for logistical reasons, to continue the interrupted game with woh.  Soldier can't reasonably get access to the internet to support continuation of the game.  Soldier has submitted a forfeit request and has appealed to be reinstated into the tournament.  While I intended to delay the tournament to allow the game to be completed, I feel compelled to honor soldier's right to forfeit based on extenuating circumstances.  Note that I view the extenuating circumstances to be an important element in this case and they differentiate this forfeit request from other scenarios.

Therefore, I am reluctantly accepting soldier's forfeit and awarding the game to woh.  Soldier's appeal to be reinstated is accepted.

I would like to recognize soldier's and woh's sportsmanship, each offering to concede the game for the benefit of the tournament and the other players.  Soldier's request takes precedence since he is unable to reasonably continue the game that he would otherwise be required to play.

TD
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #83 on: Feb 2nd, 2009, 9:15am »

on Feb 1st, 2009, 2:25pm, Fritzlein wrote:
During The_Jeh vs. arimaa_master, I counted a peak of 22 people logged in and 11 people in chat.  The Arimaa community is thriving!

I did a Forum search, and couldn't find any references to more than 21 people logged in at the same time, and that was from the 2008 World Championship.  So I'm going to tentatively claim that 22 is the record until someone contradicts me, or until we break that record in future rounds.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #84 on: Feb 3rd, 2009, 8:39am »

Ron, thank you very much for your prompt decision on the soldier-woh game.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #85 on: Feb 3rd, 2009, 8:44am »

on Feb 1st, 2009, 2:25pm, Fritzlein wrote:

I added a counter to display the number of players online; that should make the counting easier Smiley
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #86 on: Feb 3rd, 2009, 9:47am »

Similar to last year, I ran a simulation of all the possible outcomes in the final round of the Open Classic.  By example, 99of9 1  4  4  6 means that 99of9 will finish somewhere between 1st and 4th with a win (first two numbers) and between 4th and 6th with a loss (last two numbers).

chessandgo 1  1  1  2
Fritzlein   1  2  4  5
Adanac   2  4  4  8
99of9   1  4  4  6
The_Jeh   6  8  9 11
arimaa_master 2  4  4  8
naveed   6  9  9 11
omar   5  8  9 11
camelback  2  4  6  8
Tuks   5  8  9 11
woh   8  9 10 12
Bildstein  12 14 14 15
LevB  12 14 14 15
soldier  12 14
Sana  11 14 14 15

It's a simpler table than last year as most players have a clear control over their destiny as to whether or not they finish in the top 8.  The only exceptions are Naveed, who is very likely to advance with a victory and Woh who needs to win, and also needs a specific pattern of results (including a Naveed victory) if he hopes to advance.  Woh has many ways to tie for 8th, but if I understand the tie-breakers correctly the higher-seeded player wins the tie-break.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #87 on: Feb 3rd, 2009, 11:02am »

Thanks for the simulations, Adanac.  If I understand correctly, you are saying that Naveed is the only player that woh can possibly beat on tiebreakers, and even that is unlikely?

I see that the other three 2-2 players are in/out with a win/loss.  This means that at least one of the top eight pre-tournament seeds is out (omar or The_Jeh) and possibly Naveed will also be out.

Meanwhile all 3-1 players are automatically in even if they lose, albeit sometimes just barely.  This means that at least camelback will get in despite being seeded out of the top eight.  Possibly Tuks or woh will get in as well.

Tuks expressed some frustration in the chat room that he had a much harder road to qualify than woh, but it turns out now that if Tuks and woh both win their final games, Tuks is automatically in and woh is automatically out.  That must be at least some compensation for having a tough row to hoe.  Wink

99of9 vs. arimaa_master is an intriguing match-up in part because it didn't happen in last year's preliminaries.  Tiebreakers gave arimaa_master 4th seed into the finals ahead of 99of9's 5th seed.  In the finals, even though 99of9 beat arimaa_master in a marathon in the first found, the lower seed came back to haunt 99of9 in the form of a tougher pairing in the third round of the finals.

In short, although both 99of9 and arimaa_master are both in the finals automatically, and in the finals they will both start with a clean slate, the seeding they are fighting for has important consequences.
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2009, 11:11am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #88 on: Feb 3rd, 2009, 11:58am »

on Feb 3rd, 2009, 11:02am, Fritzlein wrote:
Thanks for the simulations, Adanac.  If I understand correctly, you are saying that Naveed is the only player that woh can possibly beat on tiebreakers, and even that is unlikely?

For woh to advance, all 6 of these players must win their final game:  

woh
Fritzlein
Chessandgo
LevB
Omar
Naveed
(99of9 vs. arimaa_master has no impact)

In that situation, Woh will have 12 Strength of Schedule and Naveed will have 11.  There are many ways Woh can tie with another player with 11 or 12 SoS, but if I understand the tie-breakers correctly, woh loses all tie-breakers as the lower pre-tournament seed.

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2009, 12:08pm by Adanac » IP Logged

woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

« Reply #89 on: Feb 4th, 2009, 4:36am »

Soldier, a big congratulation for your sportsmanship. In a situation where you have no fault, you're able to set aside your personal interest for the benefit of the tournament. I am very impressed by it, especially considering your age.  

I am looking forward to meet you again over the board and I hope we then can conclude our game to a normal end.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8  ...  10 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.