Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 3:16pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « One-Day Tournaments »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   One-Day Tournaments
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  5 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: One-Day Tournaments  (Read 8661 times)
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

One-Day Tournaments
« on: Oct 18th, 2009, 8:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I realize the time for inventing tournaments is after the WC, but with the discussion on team events, I thought I'd just throw this out there...

For chess, I go to mostly 4-round Swiss tournaments that happen over the course of a single day, usually a Saturday. The rounds start at set times. I think in the future, such a tournament could be tried online. Maybe we could do a 3-round Swiss on a single Saturday. Just pretend that you have hopped in your car and driven to the tournament site, even though you're in the comfort of your own home.

Of course, such a tournament would appeal mostly to the players in the same time zone as the director, but I don't think that wouldn't be a reason not to try it. Players could request half-point byes and play in the rounds that work for them. We could also try a one-day blitz tournament, which could be consolidated into such a small time frame that it might be viable to both Europe and the Americas.

Since the start times would be set, we can avoid the scheduling hassle altogether, admittedly at the expense of a reduced playing pool. On the other hand, maybe more beginners would play, because it would not require a commitment lasting several weeks.

I might also like to try a single-day knockout tournament.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: One-Day Tournaments
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19th, 2009, 4:38am »

I'd be interested in a one-day four-round Swiss even before the World Championship.  Unlike a long one-round-per-week event, there would be time to organize and complete such an event well before January.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 19th, 2009, 7:29am »

on Oct 19th, 2009, 4:38am, Fritzlein wrote:
I'd be interested in a one-day four-round Swiss even before the World Championship.  Unlike a long one-round-per-week event, there would be time to organize and complete such an event well before January.

Count me in.   I think it would be great to have 1 or 2 of these tournaments in December as a warm-up to the WC.  And the chat room would be packed all day and quite exciting with all of the games to watch & discuss.

A 30-second per move tournament with 1.5 hour time slots for each game would allow a 4-round swiss over a 6-hour period of time.  We could even add a 1 hour break between round 2 & 3 to allow for meals, etc.  Then we could include everyone from the Western Americas to Europe to compete in the same tournament:

Los Angeles, California
07:00 Round 1
08:30 Round 2
10:00 Break
11:00 Round 3
12:30 Round 4  

Berlin, Germany
16:00 Round 1
17:30 Round 2
19:00 Break
20:00 Round 3
21:30 Round 4  

Or would everyone else prefer 45 second per move?  In that case, we should extend the time slots to 2 hours for each game.  That would mean the final game would go until 1am for most Europeans.  Unless the California players were willing to wake up at 6am and the European players would finish around midnight?  Or we could just have 4 consecutive 2-hour time slots without any breaks to condense the schedule.  Since many games will finish under 40 moves (approximately 1 hour with 45 seconds per move), there will be plenty of time to take breaks and eat.
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2009, 7:33am by Adanac » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19th, 2009, 9:56am »

I like the proposed schedule, except that I would cut out the break, because there would already be breaks between the games.  The average game will be only 45 minutes, leaving time between games to grab a bite.  We can then start an hour later to give the west coast a break.

Playing at 30 seconds per move rather than 45 also strikes me as a good idea, to make the time commitment less.  Saturday would probably be the best weekday for this, as The_Jeh suggests, because Sunday night could cramp the Europeans who need to work Monday.

Let's get one of these going ASAP and then plan a second one based on how the first one goes.  Everything can be re-negotiated based on how the first one feels.   Is this Saturday (October 24) too soon?  Do people have other plans for the following Saturday (October 31, Halloween)?  How about November 7?

I hereby start a straw poll for dates people would play a four-round Swiss according to Adanac's schedule (or something very like it).

October 24 - too soon for me
October 31 - I'm in!
November 7 - I'm in!
IP Logged

The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #4 on: Oct 19th, 2009, 10:00am »

November 14 is the first good Saturday for me, but if the rest of you want to do something earlier, I have no problem with that. In fact, I encourage it.
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2009, 10:07am by The_Jeh » IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 19th, 2009, 10:18am »

My Saturday afternoons are open for the next 5 weeks, so Yes to all those dates.

And yes, I agree we should begin all tournaments at 08:00 PST rather than 07:00 PST to improve participation on the west coast.  That means eliminating my proposed 1 hour break after round 2.
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2009, 12:33pm by Adanac » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #6 on: Oct 20th, 2009, 9:24am »

Great idea John. In fact I had mentioned to Karl recently that we should set aside one day a week for H-H games and turn the bots off that day. It would sort of be like an online Arimaa club meeting day.

I will definitely try to join in the swiss on the days that I am free during the tournament time. But even if I am not able to play in the swiss I would still like to drop in and play a casual game or two with someone else who is also not able to play in the swiss that day.
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #7 on: Oct 20th, 2009, 10:16am »

on Oct 20th, 2009, 9:24am, omar wrote:
Great idea John. In fact I had mentioned to Karl recently that we should set aside one day a week for H-H games and turn the bots off that day. It would sort of be like an online Arimaa club meeting day.

I am on board with this idea as long as we can still play the bots that are hosted elsewhere like marwin, clueless, quad... etc.

The chances of playing these bots are so scarce that it'd be a shame to waste some of them because of policy plus we can consider them as players vis a vis this site.
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 20th, 2009, 3:35pm »

Great idea. Shame I'm busy on Saturday evenings, but given that I'm an hour ahead of Berlin I doubt you could include me and still make everybody happy. All the best!
IP Logged

PhilomathBret
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #2167

« Reply #9 on: Oct 20th, 2009, 7:40pm »

Great idea! I'm up for anything that encourages more human to human play and makes it possible to play an opponent that isn't a bot!  

ICC has several chess tournaments every day and they get many players. arimaa.com ought to be able to get a good number of players for tournaments.
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 21st, 2009, 4:20am »

on Oct 20th, 2009, 3:35pm, megajester wrote:
Great idea. Shame I'm busy on Saturday evenings, but given that I'm an hour ahead of Berlin I doubt you could include me and still make everybody happy. All the best!

Maybe we should run a Sunday tournament on a different weekend, after the Saturday tournament has been completed.  That would benefit players like yourself that can't play on Saturdays.  But if we're going to have players on both sides of the Atlantic competing, then you'd probably be going to sleep around at midnight.
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2009, 7:47am by Adanac » IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 21st, 2009, 7:59am »

on Oct 21st, 2009, 4:20am, Adanac wrote:

Maybe we should run a Sunday tournament on a different weekend, after the Saturday tournament has been completed.  That would benefit players like yourself that can't play on Saturdays.  But if we're going to have players on both sides of the Atlantic competing, then you'd probably be going to sleep around at midnight.

Well, it doesn't hurt to ask:  Who would be willing to play a Sunday tournament?  (EU players would be finishing late on Sunday evening:  11pm for most, midnight for megajester).

October 25th -  I cannot play
November 1st - Yes
November 8th - Yes
November 15th - Maybe
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 21st, 2009, 8:20am »

Sad sorry
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 21st, 2009, 9:07am »

Does that mean, "Sorry" you can't play on Sundays?
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 21st, 2009, 9:50am »

Yeah, to be honest I don't get that much free time all at once on a weekend Sad
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  ...  5 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.