Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 9:22am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « One-Day Tournaments »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   One-Day Tournaments
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: One-Day Tournaments  (Read 8679 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: One-Day Tournaments
« Reply #60 on: Nov 14th, 2009, 4:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

November 14 results:

.    A  M  f  w  I  N    V SS
Adanac   -  1  1  1  1  -    4  7
Manuel   0  -  1  0  -  1    2  9
froody   0  0  -  -  1  1    2  8
woh .    0  1  -  -  0  1    2  8
Ice .    0  -  0  1  -  0    1  9
Nombril  -  0  0  0  1  -    1  7

Congratulations Adanac!  We're going to have to keep holding these tournaments at least until you don't win one.  Wink

Nombril, I'm glad you registered.  Not only were your fears of messing it up for others unfounded, you even won a game.  Well done!
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #61 on: Nov 14th, 2009, 4:20pm »

I can't play next weekend due to the Board Game Geek conference, or the weekend after due to Thanksgiving, so the next Saturday I can play is December 5.  Is there enough interest for another one-day tournament prior to December 5?  I didn't see any discussion in the chat room as to when to hold the next one.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #62 on: Nov 14th, 2009, 4:23pm »

I added a Swiss Tournament page to the Arimma Wiki, including the results of today's games:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/2009_Saturday_Swiss_Tournaments
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #63 on: Nov 15th, 2009, 4:43am »

on Nov 14th, 2009, 4:23pm, Adanac wrote:
I added a Swiss Tournament page to the Arimma Wiki, including the results of today's games:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/2009_Saturday_Swiss_Tournaments

Omar, I want to link to the Arimaa Wiki to the specific rounds on the Event page.  However, it didn't assign the round 3 or 4 games to the correct section:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/eventgames.cgi

I learned that it's better to change the matchups with the pairing tool rather than manually adding the game from the Change Game screen.  When I did that in the final round everything worked more smoothly.  If you ever need me to TD again in the future, I can gladly do it.   Smiley
IP Logged

Manuel
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4020

« Reply #64 on: Nov 15th, 2009, 4:44am »

Thanks Adanac for directing the tournement!
Thanks everyone for playing.
IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #65 on: Nov 15th, 2009, 8:18am »

Thanks to everyone who helped organize this.  I'd definitely do it again, right now it looks like I could play one of the first two Saturdays in Dec.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #66 on: Nov 24th, 2009, 1:54pm »

Omar, would you be so good as to open a one-day tournament event for December 5?  We have two votes in favor and no one advocating an alternate day.
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2009, 1:55pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #67 on: Nov 24th, 2009, 7:43pm »

After seeing some of the problems Greg ran into while using the tournament management tool, I've been redoing it almost from scratch. I hope to finish it up this weekend. So I'll setup the next event once it's ready.

IP Logged
Tuks
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2626

« Reply #68 on: Nov 26th, 2009, 1:10pm »

hey Fritz, can we start the continuous tournament again, 10 people are registered and im sure even more have an extra 2 hours at some point in the week, we did have people with whole days to play Wink
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #69 on: Nov 26th, 2009, 9:30pm »

on Nov 26th, 2009, 1:10pm, Tuks wrote:
hey Fritz, can we start the continuous tournament again, 10 people are registered and im sure even more have an extra 2 hours at some point in the week, we did have people with whole days to play Wink

I think we can restart it, although it can't overlap with the World Championship because it uses the same scheduler, and even if the events could technically run at the same time, I wouldn't want them to.

Another reason to pause is that we have three types of events trying to get in some games in December, namely the one-day tournaments, the World League, and the Continuous Tournament.  They might all appeal to basically the same group of players.  If some players decide they can't do them all, we may end up dividing the player pool and not getting any of the three events started.  But it is worth a try.

To make sure there is sufficient interest, I would like to clear the registration and try to get ten or more people signed up in the same week, all of them knowing the week in which they are committing to play.  It doesn't really count if ten people have registered in the past two months, because they might have been available/interested at the time that they signed up but not for next week.

When I get home from Thanksgiving vacation I will dust off woh's old pairing script to see whether I can still remember how to run it.  If I can figure it out, I will re-open registration with a clean slate, post an invitation in a new thread, and perhaps we can squeeze in a few rounds before the end of the year.  Thanks for your interest!
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2009, 9:31pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Tuks
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2626

« Reply #70 on: Nov 27th, 2009, 1:08am »

two thing, i thought the league was for 2010 and second, i suggested restarting it because i figured there would be a lot of people who can and want to play official human games but cant spend an entire 12 hours for a single day tournament...like me, i always have something going for at least 4 hours on a saturday or sunday
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #71 on: Nov 27th, 2009, 1:11pm »

on Nov 27th, 2009, 1:08am, Tuks wrote:
two thing, i thought the league was for 2010 and second, i suggested restarting it because i figured there would be a lot of people who can and want to play official human games but cant spend an entire 12 hours for a single day tournament...like me, i always have something going for at least 4 hours on a saturday or sunday

I also thought the World League was beginning in 2010 after the WC.

It's only 6 hours for the Daily Tournaments, not 12!
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #72 on: Nov 28th, 2009, 5:42am »

Yes, the World League will be starting officially after the WC but we had been hoping to be able to have a couple of friendly matches for, say, the middle two weeks in December. Wouldn't it be possible to use the same scheduling tool for more than one tournament at the same time?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #73 on: Dec 1st, 2009, 9:56am »

on Nov 28th, 2009, 5:42am, megajester wrote:
Wouldn't it be possible to use the same scheduling tool for more than one tournament at the same time?

As I understand it, you can only enter one set of time preferences.  You can't enter one set of preferences for one event and a different set for another event.  In particular, there is no way to prevent the scheduler for scheduling your two games in the two different events at the same time.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #74 on: Dec 5th, 2009, 1:37pm »

December 5 results:

.    .    P TB   F  o  N  T  S  b  
Fritzlein  4  7   -  1  1  1  1  -
omar  .    3  8   0  -  1  1  1  -
Nombril    2  8   0  0  -  -  1  1
Tuks  .    1  7   0  0  -  -  -  1
Sconibulus 1  9   0  0  0  -  -  1
bye   .    0  -   -  -  0  0  0  -

I followed what I think are traditions in Swiss pairing, namely that late joins get 0.5-point byes, while players in the tournament get 1-point byes.  Thus Tuks gets two half-point byes, while Sconibulus and Nombril each get one full-point bye.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.