Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 11:23pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « One-Day Tournaments »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   One-Day Tournaments
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  5 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: One-Day Tournaments  (Read 8680 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: One-Day Tournaments
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21st, 2009, 10:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

October 25th -  I cannot play
November 1st - Yes
November 8th - Yes
November 15th - Yes

There hasn't been a flood of positive responses, so maybe we should shoot for November 14 when we have Fritzlein, Adanac, and The_Jeh for sure, probably PhilomathBret, maybe omar.  Five people would give us a core participation.  Omar could link the registration page from the game room, which would attract more signups, probably at least ten.  24 days seems like a long time to wait, but on the flip side more people could plan in advance.

Omar, I'm a little bit leery of having a "no bots" day coinciding with the tournament.  It's not that I am opposed to experimenting with a new means of encouraging HvH games, it's just that when two experiments are stacked it can be hard to tell which is a success/failure.  What if the nascent tournament scene is smothered by resentment from people who are mad that they can't play bots?  What if people, instead of reasoning that they might as well join the tournament since it is the only game in town, blame the tournament for costing them bot opponents, and therefore boycott the tournament?

I'm not implacably against turning off the bots on tournament day, just concerned that new ideas are sometimes better introduced separately than together, especially since there is always some inherent resistance to any new idea.  How about turning off bots during the Saturday after the first attempt at a one-day Swiss?
IP Logged

Simon
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1198

« Reply #16 on: Oct 21st, 2009, 12:15pm »

I would be interested in these tournaments and expect to be available most weekends, but I will not be able to play on the weekend of November 14-15.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 21st, 2009, 12:30pm »

Thanks Simon.  That gets us closer to having enough players for a tournament on some day.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #18 on: Oct 21st, 2009, 12:41pm »

on Oct 21st, 2009, 10:41am, Fritzlein wrote:
There hasn't been a flood of positive responses, so maybe we should shoot for November 14 when we have Fritzlein, Adanac, and The_Jeh for sure, probably PhilomathBret, maybe omar.  Five people would give us a core participation.  Omar could link the registration page from the game room, which would attract more signups, probably at least ten.  24 days seems like a long time to wait, but on the flip side more people could plan in advance.

Omar, I'm a little bit leery of having a "no bots" day coinciding with the tournament.  It's not that I am opposed to experimenting with a new means of encouraging HvH games, it's just that when two experiments are stacked it can be hard to tell which is a success/failure.  What if the nascent tournament scene is smothered by resentment from people who are mad that they can't play bots?  What if people, instead of reasoning that they might as well join the tournament since it is the only game in town, blame the tournament for costing them bot opponents, and therefore boycott the tournament?

Sure, let's try for a tournament on November 14th.  Are we going to cap it at the first 16 players for a 4-round tournament?  That would give people incentive to sign up early and keep that day open  Wink

If the November 14th tournament and the no-bot day are announced on October 21st, then players have 24 days to brace themselves for a single day of bot-withdrawal syndrome.  No big deal.  But maybe Fritzlein is right about separating the two events.  If a brand new player logs in to see 0 bots and all the humans seem to be committed to an all-day tournament, that new player might simply leave without getting a chance to play at all.  I’d rather have a separate event where if new players had no bot opponents, they’d at least have lots of human opponents to choose from -- without an ongoing tournament.  The more experienced players could then login that day for the purpose of playing tutorial games with the new players (perhaps with M + H odds, for example).
IP Logged

Manuel
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4020

« Reply #19 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 12:26am »

On november 14, I would like to play as well.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #20 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 5:53am »

on Oct 23rd, 2009, 12:26am, Manuel wrote:
On november 14, I would like to play as well.

Great, I think that makes four "yes" and two "probably" for the 14th.  For a four-rounder there should be about eight to sixteen participants, and it looks like that is where we are headed.

on Oct 21st, 2009, 12:41pm, Adanac wrote:
Are we going to cap it at the first 16 players for a 4-round tournament?  That would give people incentive to sign up early and keep that day open  Wink

A cap also gives people incentive to sign up early even if they can't keep the day open, since there is no cost for not showing up.  Let's not fill up the roster with fluff.

Instead, let's keep the signup open and be prepared to deal with no-shows and last-minute entries and even (as The_Jeh suggested) late entries with half-point byes, although I guess I would want to cap late entries to a maximum participation of 16.  If more than sixteen actually sign up to play ahead of time, we have a problem, but a pleasant one.  Should we try to cram in five rounds the next week, or just hold one-day tournaments every week so there isn't so much pent up demand?  For November 14, though, I think I'll be able to contain my disappointment if we end up with two undefeated players. Wink

By the way, I would volunteer to pair this event by hand, but maybe someone else would like the honor and/or has a pairing program handy.
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2009, 6:04am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #21 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 7:29am »

on Oct 23rd, 2009, 5:53am, Fritzlein wrote:
By the way, I would volunteer to pair this event by hand, but maybe someone else would like the honor and/or has a pairing program handy.

I can’t check these while at work, but both of these links advertise free Swiss System programs.  This could make our lives a lot easier!

http://utenti.lycos.it/forlano/vega/en/index.htm

http://www.nechessleague.com/ncl/tdx.ncl
IP Logged

Ice
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3201

« Reply #22 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 8:27am »

I'd be interested in participating in one or two of these. Maybe once a month or every other month would be all the more often I'd be able to though.

How soon is this expected to happen? My near future available Saturdays would be Oct 31st or Nov 14th. Beyond that I couldn't give a very good guess.
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #23 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 8:59am »

on Oct 23rd, 2009, 8:27am, Ice wrote:
How soon is this expected to happen? My near future available Saturdays would be Oct 31st or Nov 14th. Beyond that I couldn't give a very good guess.

You're in luck!  We have a tournament planned for November 14th.
IP Logged

PhilomathBret
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #2167

« Reply #24 on: Oct 24th, 2009, 4:02pm »

I'd love to play in any tournament that encourages some human vs. human play. I'm so sick of these bots!! But I'm PDT and I wouldn't want to play in any tournament that starts earlier than 10am my time.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #25 on: Oct 24th, 2009, 5:21pm »

Arimaabuff: the external bots like marwin and quad would still be available.

Fritzlein: OK I won't turn the bots off and we'll see how it goes.
IP Logged
PhilomathBret
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #2167

« Reply #26 on: Oct 24th, 2009, 5:48pm »

on Oct 21st, 2009, 7:59am, Adanac wrote:

Well, it doesn't hurt to ask:  Who would be willing to play a Sunday tournament?  (EU players would be finishing late on Sunday evening:  11pm for most, midnight for megajester).

October 25th -  I cannot play
November 1st - Yes
November 8th - Yes
November 15th - Maybe

I can play Sundays but I prefer Saturdays. I don't go to bed until around 3am. So I'm available from 11am-3am PDT Sat. and Sunday or 6pm-3am on weekdays.
IP Logged
amalgam
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3973

« Reply #27 on: Oct 24th, 2009, 9:13pm »

Hello all,

I think that this is a fantastic idea for encouraging human vs human games, and I really hope that this will end up successful. Perhaps, in future, if (or when, if one is optimistic  Smiley) Arimaa becomes relatively popular, we will even be able to have separate rating division categories, so people who are not incredibly gifted (i.e. me) can play, without too much fear of being trounced each time.  Smiley

I'd like to play, but I'm a school student and my exams are coming up soon, so I probably won't be able to play until Nov. 21, but I should be able to play after that.  

Out of curiosity, as I am living in Australia, what time would the tournament take place for me ( in my local time)? Perhaps a list of GMT times for easy conversion for people of different countries could be posted here. I could probably go from 2pm - 5pm and 8pm - 11pm on Saturdays, so hopefully I'll be able to get some games here.  

Thanks again for this great initiative. I really hope this catches on, and becomes a successful venture.
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #28 on: Oct 25th, 2009, 5:09am »

on Oct 24th, 2009, 5:48pm, PhilomathBret wrote:
I can play Sundays but I prefer Saturdays. I don't go to bed until around 3am. So I'm available from 11am-3am PDT Sat. and Sunday or 6pm-3am on weekdays.

Saturdays are the consensus for tournament days, but they’re going to begin at 08:00 PST.  You could take byes for the first 2 rounds and play the final 2 rounds starting at 11:00 – I'm not the tournament director or anything, but I don’t expect anyone would object to that in a “fun” tournament.

However, if these tournaments become really popular & frequent then we should eventually create continent-specific tournaments:  for example, we could start the Americas tournament at noon PST so that it's at a reasonable start time for everyone (distant players could join, of course, but the time might not be as convenient).  We could do the same for a European tournament so that people aren’t going to sleep after midnight.  Someday maybe we’ll have enough Asian, Australian & NZ players to create a 3rd tournament for players like amalgam.  Unfortunately, we don’t have enough players there right now and participating in an America-Europe tournament would require them to stay up all through the night and then sleep through the daytime!  But with the growth of popularity of Arimaa, hopefully everyone worldwide will have the opportunity to participate in frequent tournaments by 2011 or so.
IP Logged

camelback
Forum Guru

Arimaa perl monger

« Reply #29 on: Oct 29th, 2009, 4:53am »

I have some classes on Saturday mornings, so I may not able to join  Undecided
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  5 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.