Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 7:59pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « One-Day Tournaments »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   One-Day Tournaments
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: One-Day Tournaments  (Read 8677 times)
qswanger
Forum Guru

Email

Re: One-Day Tournaments
« Reply #45 on: Nov 6th, 2009, 5:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I would love to play. Unfortunately the time control for the tournament is such that I don't trust any of the clients not to lock up on me and cause me to lose on time, which has happened several times to me now to my extreme frustration.  Sad
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #46 on: Nov 10th, 2009, 7:26pm »

on Nov 6th, 2009, 9:46am, Adanac wrote:

A question about the start time:  it's telling me that my local start time is 10:00.  If so, that means that people on the west coast will need to wake up at 7:00.  Maybe we should give them that extra hour of sleep and push back the start time?  Wink

I used the same time that we did for the first one, but one hour later might be better. OK I've changed it to one hour later. Hope it doesn't get too late for someone in Europe.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #47 on: Nov 10th, 2009, 7:45pm »

on Nov 6th, 2009, 5:33pm, qswanger wrote:
I would love to play. Unfortunately the time control for the tournament is such that I don't trust any of the clients not to lock up on me and cause me to lose on time, which has happened several times to me now to my extreme frustration.  Sad  

The JavaScript client has been working pretty good for me. Have you tried that yet?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #48 on: Nov 10th, 2009, 8:33pm »

on Nov 10th, 2009, 7:26pm, omar wrote:

I used the same time that we did for the first one, but one hour later might be better. OK I've changed it to one hour later. Hope it doesn't get too late for someone in Europe.

Daylight Savings Time strikes again!  You used the same time but it appeared earlier since we all set our clocks back.  Anyway, we'll see whether the Americans complain more about how early it is, or the Europeans complain more about how late it is.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #49 on: Nov 10th, 2009, 9:41pm »

Oh yeah; I forgot about the time change Smiley
IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #50 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 12:07pm »

I'm on the fence about signing up to play Nov 14.  I have a lot to learn still, and if ratings are any indication I'll loose every game.  I'm OK with being the underdog... but will it adversely impact the tournament dynamics?  Also, what was decided on for the spacing of the games?  Every 90min, w/o a break?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #51 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 2:39pm »

on Nov 12th, 2009, 12:07pm, Nombril wrote:
I'm on the fence about signing up to play Nov 14.  I have a lot to learn still, and if ratings are any indication I'll loose every game.  I'm OK with being the underdog... but will it adversely impact the tournament dynamics?

If you don't mind being the underdog, then don't worry about adversely affecting the tournament.  My "mismatch" rule of thumb is that you need to be within 400 points of your opponent to make it a good game.  By that measure you should be able to give an interesting challenge to Ice, froody, Manuel, and woh.

Furthermore the tournament is Swiss paired, so you will gravitate towards the closer matches.  In an eight-player Swiss where the favorite always wins, the #8 seed gets to play #4, #6, #7, and #5 in that order.  But the favorite doesn't always win.  Go ahead and sign up; you might surprise yourself!

The main disadvantage of being the bottom seed in my book is that when the number of players is odd, the bye is given to the lowest player in the standings.  Not only does that force you to sit out a round, playing only three games instead of four, it also gives you a win in the first round that can bump you up to playing a strong player in the second round.  Therefore, if you do sign up as the seventh player, you should also try to recruit an eighth.

Quote:
Also, what was decided on for the spacing of the games?  Every 90min, w/o a break?

That's what we did last time.  It worked pretty well, so I do see any reason to deviate, but Adanac will be the TD this time, so you would have to ask him.  I will not be playing because I will be at the live club that Omar is hosting.  Smiley
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #52 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 2:44pm »

on Nov 12th, 2009, 2:39pm, Fritzlein wrote:
That's what we did last time.  It worked pretty well, so I do see any reason to deviate, but Adanac will be the TD this time, so you would have to ask him.  I will not be playing because I will be at the live club that Omar is hosting.  Smiley

Yes, I'm planning to start each round 90 minutes apart.  That worked well last time, and there was more than enough idle time for each player to eat between games, etc.

I'd encourage Nombril and any other new players to sign up.  Your participation might just encourage a few others to join as well  Cool
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #53 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 2:50pm »

How about (developer) bots? Or does that go against the point of this tournament?
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #54 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 5:35pm »

on Nov 12th, 2009, 2:50pm, aaaa wrote:
How about (developer) bots? Or does that go against the point of this tournament?

If memory serves in most tournaments, developer bots have the same status as human players.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #55 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 6:16pm »

In the Continuous Tournament, I was happy when developer bots participated.  For this event, I would also be happy to see developer bots participate, but I hesitate to speak for the group when I am not running the event, and in particular when I won't be playing in the next one.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #56 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 7:31pm »

I would encourage developer bots to participate in the one-day tournaments.
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #57 on: Nov 13th, 2009, 6:26pm »

I'm afraid I have to withdraw due to my computer recently developing a tendency to freeze-up. Hopefully, I will get this fixed in time to participate in the next installment. My apologies.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #58 on: Nov 14th, 2009, 7:58am »

on Nov 12th, 2009, 7:31pm, omar wrote:
I would encourage developer bots to participate in the one-day tournaments.

OK, but how do they sign up?
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #59 on: Nov 14th, 2009, 12:01pm »

on Nov 14th, 2009, 7:58am, Fritzlein wrote:

OK, but how do they sign up?

My guess would be by using their bot's account.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.