Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 6:33pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2010 World Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2010 World Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  13 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2010 World Championship  (Read 16514 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

2010 World Championship
« on: Jan 3rd, 2010, 11:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 1st, 2010, 1:22pm, Tuks wrote:
We have 16 players so its going to be another 5 rounder this year.

and by the looks of things, this year has stronger competition so its going to be that much harder to make the final 8, Good Luck Everyone!

I agree, Tuks.  There's going to be quite a fight to get into the top eight, as the field this year is deeper than it was in 2009.  I'm especially curious how 99of9 and PMertens, perennial contenders who now may be out of practice, will do against you and other rising stars.  We would definitely be turning a page in Arimaa history if those two veterans were kept out of the finals by young guns.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: 2010 World Championship
« Reply #1 on: Jan 3rd, 2010, 3:44pm »

Yes, I'm sure the average rating of the players this year is higher than ever before. I'll be lucky to make it to the finals Smiley
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 3rd, 2010, 4:55pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2010, 3:44pm, omar wrote:
Yes, I'm sure the average rating of the players this year is higher than ever before. I'll be lucky to make it to the finals Smiley

To be precise, the average gameroom rating of the sixteen entrants is 2010, and their average WHR is 2014.  When I started playing Arimaa, there were only three players in the world rated over 2000...
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2010, 6:18am »

on Jan 3rd, 2010, 11:01am, Fritzlein wrote:

I'm especially curious how 99of9 and PMertens, perennial contenders who now may be out of practice, will do against you and other rising stars.

Me too.  I think this could make the spectator contest more interesting than last year.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 5th, 2010, 8:32pm »

And the first-round games are set!  I predict one upset out of the eight games (not me, of course Wink).
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #5 on: Jan 6th, 2010, 6:31am »

Happy new year to everyone ; success in the arimaa WC and hapiness in other matters to all Smiley
IP Logged

PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #6 on: Jan 6th, 2010, 6:49am »

well well ... I guess I share Fritzleins curiosity Wink
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #7 on: Jan 9th, 2010, 11:13pm »

Good luck to everyone. I am looking forward to watching some interesting games.

I am also going to broadcast some of the games on ustream.tv with live commentary. I'll make an announcement in the gameroom about a day or two before I do. Also I will announce it shortly before the game using twitter.

I am looking for a couple more people to join me with the live commentary. If you are interested send me a message.

Almost forgot to mention that our sponsors have added a link on their main page to the Arimaa WC.

http://zmangames.com/
http://www.boardgames4us.com/

If anyone can help with signing up more sponsors for next year, please send me a message.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2010, 11:16pm by omar » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 10th, 2010, 9:01am »

on Jan 9th, 2010, 11:13pm, omar wrote:
http://zmangames.com/
http://www.boardgames4us.com/

Omar, that second link goes to a Web hosting page because the domain registration has expired.  I hope your sponsor didn't go belly-up in the middle of the tournament!
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #9 on: Jan 10th, 2010, 9:13am »

on Jan 10th, 2010, 9:01am, Fritzlein wrote:

Omar, that second link goes to a Web hosting page because the domain registration has expired.  I hope your sponsor didn't go belly-up in the middle of the tournament!

I can see the website fine.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 10th, 2010, 10:21am »

on Jan 10th, 2010, 9:13am, aaaa wrote:

I can see the website fine.

That's odd, I can see it fine now too.  Perhaps they neglected to pay a bill, but paid it in a hurry once they got cut off?  In any case, I'm glad the sponsor still exists!
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #11 on: Jan 11th, 2010, 9:16am »

During the:  
    fritzlforpresident vs omar  
game it seems there was a problem with the DNS server for arimaa.com. Several people reported not being able to access the arimaa.com site temporarily. Also the bots were behaving abnorally; such as bot_OpFor2008P1 abandoning the game and bot_clueless opening 5 simultaneous games, but not being present at them.

The load on the arimaa.com server during this time was normal.

The arimaa.com DNS server is a separate host than the arimaa.com server. So if it goes down temporarily or is unable to answer DNS queries it is possible for some end users to have trouble accessing the arimaa.com while others who have already cached the IP for airmaa.com to be able to access the arimaa.com server just fine.

During the game I did not notice any problem. Although before the game I got a 'host not found' message when trying to login to the arimaa.com site. Upon reloading the page it worked fine. This is indicative of an intermittent DNS server problem.

After the game I tried to ask John if he had any problem on his end, but did not receive any reply. Karl also tried to contact John by phone, but has not gotten through to him yet. So at present we don't know if he timed out because the thought too long and didn't hit the 'Send' button or if he tried to send the move but it did not reach the server because his DNS cache expired and needed to query the DNS server before sending the move.

This is all the information I have at present. Will post more if we hear from John.
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #12 on: Jan 11th, 2010, 9:43am »

There's enough evidence, including my need to reload this game twice, that the server could be at fault here.  I would like John's version of events to get posted here to determine if he sent a move that got ignored or did not send a move before time expired.

The rules provide for a continuation of the game from the position at the point of the server fault.  In this case, John can elect to decline a continuation and accept the loss.  If declining continuation, it would save confusion if players would post that decision to this forum.

Based on the available information, it's John's version that determines if the result stands or the game continues.

TD
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 11th, 2010, 10:14am »

on Jan 9th, 2010, 11:13pm, omar wrote:
I am also going to broadcast some of the games on ustream.tv with live commentary. I'll make an announcement in the gameroom about a day or two before I do. Also I will announce it shortly before the game using twitter.

I think it would be very cool to listen to live game commentary, and I would also enjoy giving live commentary, but it isn't clear to me how we can do it without compromising the integrity of the tournament.  Even chatting about the game in progress seems risky, because someone who is logged in to chat could relay move suggestions to one of the players, but at least for chat we know who all is logged in to hear it.  For a live broadcast, how would we know that the players themselves were not tuned in?

Yes, I realize there is already no security against a player getting live help from a computer or from another player, but the former is not critically important at the moment, and the latter requires a partner in deceit.  I would hate to be the one single-handedly making it easy to cheat via a live radio feed of my suggestions.

I am glad that the prize money is down this year, reducing one of the incentives to cheat, but if we move more and more to a completely "on your honor" system, I wouldn't mind seeing the money prizes disappear completely, making the on-line World Championship only for fun and glory.  Eventually, if we want the World Championship to be robust to cheating, it will simply have to become a face-to-face tournament. Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2010, 10:24am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #14 on: Jan 11th, 2010, 4:17pm »

For the record, in Hippo vs PMertens, PMertens entered the game early and then went afk and missed the start time.  Hippo could have claimed the win on time, but Hippo requested that the game be restarted.  I allowed this and the game was played.

TD
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  13 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.