Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 9:34am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2010 World Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2010 World Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2010 World Championship  (Read 16508 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 2010 World Championship
« Reply #165 on: Mar 22nd, 2010, 9:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have found a computer from which to play the match today, and I have successfully played a test game, but I am apparently unable to join the chat room.  I hope the game proceeds without technical difficulties.  I apologize in advance that I will not be able to join TeamSpeak or the chat room after the game.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #166 on: Mar 22nd, 2010, 5:38pm »

on Mar 22nd, 2010, 9:50am, Fritzlein wrote:
I have found a computer from which to play the match today, and I have successfully played a test game, but I am apparently unable to join the chat room.  I hope the game proceeds without technical difficulties.  I apologize in advance that I will not be able to join TeamSpeak or the chat room after the game.

Thanks for letting us know Karl. I am glad to see that you didn't have any technical problems during the game. Hope you have a fun and safe trip.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2010, 7:13pm by omar » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #167 on: Mar 22nd, 2010, 7:13pm »

What an exciting finish to an incredible tournament this year.

Congratulations Jean on winning the 2010 Arimaa World Championship title. Someone who sets up clever false protections and foresees sacrificing a camel to gain a winning position deserves to win. I keep forgetting to tell everyone this, but I recently found out that Jean used to play in the under 12 world chess championships.

Congratulations Karl on placing 2nd in perhaps the toughest field of players we've ever had. After never having been able to beat you online or offline, it's good to know that you are not invincible Smiley

Congratulations Greg on placing 3rd. This is the 3rd time now in 3 years you've placed 3rd and you did place 2nd in 2006; so one of these time I think you will snatch the title.

Toby you definitely deserve an honorable mention for playing this strongly after not having played for a year. If you practiced even half as much as I did during the year, I think you would be much more dangerous.

Thanks everyone for participating in this years tournament. You helped to make this an exciting tournament and you have become part of Arimaa's history. You names will appear on the commemorative T-shirts.

Thanks also to the sponsors who supported this years events; Z-Man Games and BoardGames4Us. You can show your support for both of them by purchasing an Arimaa set from BoardGames4Us.com. Don't forget to use the discount code posted in the announcements. Also many thanks to the members of the Arimaa community for contributing to the Arimaa prize fund and showing your support for the players.

A special thanks to Greg and everyone who helped him with the event coverage in the Wiki. It's been a pleasure reading the game summaries. Your efforts are helping to make Arimaa's early history the most well recorded of any abstract strategy game.

I have been totally amazed at the excellent commentators we have in our community. As usual I had no idea of what I was getting into, but had a gut feel that it would be interesting to have live commentary during the games. Fortunately for me, Karl, Greg, Ned, Eric, John, Vladan and Joel stepped up to provide commentary and make the games so lively and entertaining to watch. Thanks so much guys, I don't think I can go back to watching a silent game anymore Smiley

Also thanks to Brian, Ivan and Joel for helping with the recording and providing a safety net for me. I definitely have to experiment more with making better quality recordings of the games (while keeping the size down).

Last by not least I want to thank Ned for being the tournament director this year. Fortunately we didn't run into many problems in this year's tournament. But it was comforting for me to know that Ned was just a phone call or email away if I needed his decision urgently on anything.

This has definitely been the most successful year so far for the world championship tournament. Not only was the tournament very successful but even the spectator contest turned out to be quite interesting. Congratulations to Simon for winning three games back to back. We know your strategy now, so it probably won't work next year Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2010, 10:13am by omar » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #168 on: Mar 22nd, 2010, 7:27pm »

I've sent the prizes and registration deposits by PayPal. If you didn't get yours it's because I don't know your email address with PayPal. Please send me a message through the contact page to let me know what it is.
   http://arimaa.com/arimaa/contact/
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #169 on: Mar 23rd, 2010, 8:08pm »

At one point in the final game, I saw 34 people logged into the game room, a new record that is impressive particularly for occurring during the North American business day.  I might, however, have missed the high-water mark due to concentrating on the game.  Did anyone see more simultaneous users?

I want to echo Omar's remarks that this was the best Arimaa World Championship ever, for the reasons he gave plus one more: Arimaa strategy continues to evolve to new levels.  The unbalanced setup that ultimately persuaded even chessandgo contains a commitment to attacking with the camel that has been absent from previous strategic world views.  I have no idea where this new evolution will take us.  What an exhilarating feeling!

The game of Arimaa keeps offering up more and more strategic depth.  Chessandgo's WHR is now 2745, not a "financial bubble" as he earlier opined, but vindicated against all comers during the tournament.  The possibility that the Arimaa community will produce a 3000-level player seems less hypothetical and more inevitable than ever.  Arimaa shows no signs of running out; on the contrary the future is wide open as far as the eye can see.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #170 on: Mar 24th, 2010, 8:08am »

Thanks again Omar for organizing another great World Championship.  We’re already indebted to you for inventing Arimaa but all the work you’ve put into the site over the years has been equally amazing.  The new-and-improved chatroom in 2008 was great [I’ve forgotten who did the excellent work on this – it’s hard to find in the forum archives due to the huge number of posts with the word “chatroom”] and then the Arimaa.com Wiki was introduced in 2009.  But the live commentary in 2010 has taken the enjoyment to a whole new level.  And I think the timing was perfect:  this tournament, far more so than any other, has seen the opening theory evolve considerably *during* the tournament.  And, as mentioned in the earlier posts, the overall quality of games has been much higher this year than in the past.  So, if we were ever going to introduce live commentary, this was the best year to do so!

I truly believe we’re on the brink of a huge explosion in popularity for Arimaa.  Maybe by 2012 or 2013, but hopefully even sooner.  We have an annual World Championship, Computer Championship, Challenge Match, Postal Mixer plus Official Sponsors, Prize Funds, live commentary, a chatroom, a Wiki, beautiful game boards, published books, interesting forum discussions, mob games, etc.  And thanks to megajester’s efforts we’ll soon have an official World League.  It all lends a very professional feel to Arimaa.  With all of these things in place, new players might think that we have already have a community numbering in the tens of thousands.  But we’ve done it all with a very devoted game inventor and a very small but enthusiastic community!  I don’t know the stats but it seems as if we’ve been attracting more new players in 2010 and that the percentage of new players that stick around for the long term is higher than ever.  

IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #171 on: Mar 24th, 2010, 10:33am »

The video of the final game is now online:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/video/go/wc2010Final.htm

It turned out excellent. A must see. Thanks so much Joel for being the moderator and recording the video. Absolutely beautiful.

I caused a bit of dead air at one point while trying to put on my headphones and missed that Joel was addressing me.

« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2010, 10:39am by omar » IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #172 on: Mar 24th, 2010, 10:55am »

A pleasure, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was concerned that I sounded like one of those tennis presenters who moderates the chat before the game, who barely knows what he's talking about and so calls on the expert sitting next to him to do most of the talking. Smiley Oh well, if it's good enough for Wimbledon...

But seriously I would be very interested to hear any tips you guys might have for next time.

I know everybody's said it, but congratulations Omar on a phenomenal year. I'm sure you can remember playtesting this game with your little boy only a few years ago and, well, look where it is now. "My, how it's grown!"
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #173 on: Mar 24th, 2010, 12:25pm »

on Mar 24th, 2010, 10:33am, omar wrote:
The video of the final game is now online:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/video/go/wc2010Final.htm

It turned out excellent. A must see. Thanks so much Joel for being the moderator and recording the video. Absolutely beautiful.

I keep getting stuck at the 20:10 point when I try to view it.  The position indicator jumps all the way to the end.  I can move it back anywhere before 20:10 and resume playing, but nowhere after.  Has anyone else had such a problem?

The video and audio quality are excellent, and the commentary is engaging and insightful.  I think I must have been playing in a haze, because several times in just the first eight moves I failed to see things the commentators immediately picked up on.  In retrospect I am surprised I still had a playable position all the way until I failed to put my horse on c4 on 21g.  There can be no worry about the commentators not being able to keep up with the players, or at least with this player.  I only wish I could have listened in to the commentary before playing my moves!  Tongue
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #174 on: Mar 24th, 2010, 2:50pm »

on Mar 24th, 2010, 12:25pm, Fritzlein wrote:

I keep getting stuck at the 20:10 point when I try to view it.  The position indicator jumps all the way to the end.  I can move it back anywhere before 20:10 and resume playing, but nowhere after.  Has anyone else had such a problem?

I'm at the 30:00 mark of the broadcast right now and I've had no problems at all.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #175 on: Mar 25th, 2010, 8:05am »

OK, I listened to the commentary on a different computer with no trouble.  Very insightful and entertaining stuff, guys.  Thanks!  I'm really kicking myself, though, because as megajester alluded to, I could have activated my camel on move nineteen with something like 19g E>M^HdD>, with a very nice-looking position, at least in my opinion.  Somehow I would rather know that I was in the game and blundered it away, as opposed to having been dominated wire to wire. Cheesy
IP Logged

camelback
Forum Guru

Arimaa perl monger

« Reply #176 on: Mar 25th, 2010, 12:31pm »

Congrats to everybody for such an amazing tournament. It was great to see new strategies evolving just when many new players are coming in. Thank you Fritz for being instrumental on this.

No other championship tournament had the winner with 2 losses. I was stunned to see Greg coming so close to winning couple of games but couldn't make it. I can see how tough it was.
Congrats Jean for becoming the first back to back champion.

I can see that it is going to be more tougher and more exciting in the coming years.
IP Logged
Isaac Grosof
Forum Guru

Longtime Arimaa Fan

« Reply #177 on: Mar 25th, 2010, 4:15pm »

on Mar 25th, 2010, 12:31pm, camelback wrote:
No other championship tournament had the winner with 2 losses.

Incredibly enough, I believe this year also featured the first two loss computer champion.
IP Logged

Sorry about that one thing.
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #178 on: Mar 27th, 2010, 11:42am »

maybe the video/audio commentaries of the WC games should be linked in the "videos" page linked in the arimaa.com homepage to reach a wider audience?
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #179 on: Mar 27th, 2010, 12:17pm »

on Mar 27th, 2010, 11:42am, chessandgo wrote:
maybe the video/audio commentaries of the WC games should be linked in the "videos" page linked in the arimaa.com homepage to reach a wider audience?

That's a good idea.  Some people may also be unaware that each broadcast is included in the appropriate game report on the Wiki site:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/2010_World_Championship

Also a note for anyone interested in using the boardgames4us.ca Canadian site rather than boardgames4us.com.  I found that the higher shipping costs made it too expensive to use the .com site but I wasn't able to use the Arimaa discount or 3rd place gift certificate on the .ca site.  I asked Dave at boardgames4us and he's now enabled us to use the discount codes at both websites.  This is only a benefit to Canadians, who will save a surprisingly large amount of money on the shipping costs!
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2010, 12:19pm by Adanac » IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.