Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 7:08pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Commentary audio »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Commentary audio
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Commentary audio  (Read 9862 times)
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

Re: Commentary audio
« Reply #75 on: Mar 1st, 2010, 11:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I think Fritzlein is being a bit generous in his description of my commentary.  Maybe after I've played more than a few months I'll be able to do better.  But I am happy to be able to help out.  Most of the people I've talked to have been very impressed with the Arimaa community, that we are broadcasting games and have complete event reports.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #76 on: Mar 1st, 2010, 1:36pm »

on Mar 1st, 2010, 11:27am, Nombril wrote:
I think Fritzlein is being a bit generous in his description of my commentary.  Maybe after I've played more than a few months I'll be able to do better.

Well I couldn't tell the difference between you and Adanac, so that says something about both your voice and your analysis!
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #77 on: Mar 8th, 2010, 4:48pm »

I'm excited that the 3rd place game between Adanac and 99of9 is at 14:00 Saturday my local time, so I will be able to provide live commentary.

My game against chessandgo on Monday noon my local time (18:00 UTC) will surely be inconvenient for many potential viewers/commentators in the Americas, but perhaps some Europeans can step up?
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #78 on: Mar 8th, 2010, 5:25pm »

on Mar 8th, 2010, 4:48pm, Fritzlein wrote:
I'm excited that the 3rd place game between Adanac and 99of9 is at 14:00 Saturday my local time, so I will be able to provide live commentary.

My game against chessandgo on Monday noon my local time (18:00 UTC) will surely be inconvenient for many potential viewers/commentators in the Americas, but perhaps some Europeans can step up?

My company owes me half a day for recent overtime.  I was thinking of taking it next Monday anyway Smiley  I'd be more than happy to co-commentate with 1 or 2 other players.
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #79 on: Mar 9th, 2010, 8:08am »

I might be available for part of the Monday game, but not the whole time.  Hopefully someone else will be able to join in to help out.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #80 on: Mar 13th, 2010, 11:24am »

I thought I might just chip in and say that if anyone's still having trouble syncing video and audio, you might want to try using Audacity instead of the record function in Teamspeak. Nice little piece of freeware. All you do is set the input channel to record your computer's output. Also the Noise Removal function is excellent for getting rid of any "hum" you might have...
IP Logged

Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

« Reply #81 on: Mar 13th, 2010, 11:34am »

on Mar 13th, 2010, 11:24am, megajester wrote:
I thought I might just chip in and say that if anyone's still having trouble syncing video and audio, you might want to try using Audacity instead of the record function in Teamspeak. Nice little piece of freeware. All you do is set the input channel to record your computer's output. Also the Noise Removal function is excellent for getting rid of any "hum" you might have...

Omar (and I) now use camtasia to record the video and audio at the same time, is pretty good,if I had to use the teamspeak recording function yesterday it was just because it was too complicated for me to use camtasia while playing, but thanks for your suggestion.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #82 on: Mar 14th, 2010, 7:40pm »

I've uploaded the video now from the Adanac vs 99of9 game for 3rd place.

For a while there I was worried because the audio did not get captured. Turned out I had my head phones plugged into the computer and the sound wasn't going to the speakers Smiley

I decided to record the audio at the lower quality because it keeps sync with the video. So the sound quality isn't that great, but Karl does a wonderful job of speaking clearly so it's still very easy to hear what he's saying.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/video/2010wc/

IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #83 on: Mar 15th, 2010, 2:33am »

Fired with enthusiasm I wondered how I might record commentary on my system. I quickly discovered that with screencapture software running, Teamspeak then can't connect to my microphone. Because you can't have two programs recording from different recording devices (ie. system & mic) at the same time. None of the fixes I have found online involving Control Panel/Sound dialog box settings work because HP slapped a useless bit of tinfoil called Conexant SmartAudio in my laptop instead of a soundcard.

I had found that if I set Teamspeak to continuous transmission and then start recording, it spits out a duff file. After all the polava with the soundcard I discovered that if you start recording first, and then set it to continuous transmission, it works fine. Thus effectively solving the sync problem.

I don't know if Camtastic solves this problem anyway, I'm trying to get the same job done with freeware so I haven't looked.

I'm thinking I can use Camstudio for the video and use Windows Movie Maker to combine it with the audio from Teamspeak. So, problem solved...

...or am I missing a trick here?
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #84 on: Mar 15th, 2010, 8:25am »

on Mar 8th, 2010, 5:25pm, Adanac wrote:

My company owes me half a day for recent overtime.  I was thinking of taking it next Monday anyway Smiley  I'd be more than happy to co-commentate with 1 or 2 other players.

Actually, they owe me a lot more than that now.  But I won't be able to take any time off today and I won't be commentating.  I will poke my head into the gameroom periodically though to see who's winning!
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #85 on: Mar 15th, 2010, 5:28pm »

I now have video and commentary from today's game with Chessandgo vs Fritzlein up at http://arimaa.janzert.com/games/g137854/.

Janzert
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #86 on: Mar 17th, 2010, 8:34am »

Wow, that's is a super quality video. I am so glad you were able to capture this game. My recording didn't turn out so well. Would you like me to host it on arimaa.com so that it doesn't effect your monthly bandwidth limits.

At the beginning of the video I got confused with Fritzlein's lose in the preliminary and thought it was in the finals. Bad episodic memory. Next time don't agree with me so easily Eric Smiley
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #87 on: Mar 17th, 2010, 9:05am »

The bandwidth isn't a problem, but if you don't mind taking it then I don't have to worry about keeping it in place permanently. It is just under 100MB so about 4x larger than your recording though.

I zipped the files used (video, player and html) and that can be downloaded from http://arimaa.janzert.com/games/g137854.zip. You probably want to modify the html slightly so it better matches the arimaa.com theme, otherwise it should be a simple matter of just unzipping it on the server.

Janzert
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #88 on: Mar 18th, 2010, 4:43pm »

After an awful lot of faffing around with ASIO4ALL, many long hours vainly trying to find a freeware clone of Virtual Audio Cable, and 4 lira wasted on a male-to-male cable and two output splitters which, of course, refuse to work backwards, it turns out that BB Flashback Express is what I needed all along. DAAAAAAH! Smiley

I do believe I have snached achievement from the jaws of failure, however, in that I think I've found a way to use BB Flashback Express and still participate in the commentary. (The last I heard that was still a sticking point with that program, unless I'm way behind the times.) Here's my solution:

- In Teamspeak, set capture to microphone (nothing unusual here)

- In Teamspeak, set output to speakers NOT WaveOut (or whatever it's called on your system)

- In BB Flashback, record JUST speakers NOT mic (because Teamspeak is already relaying your mic to speakers)

I ran a test where I recorded myself using Test Voice to speak into my mic, clicking on Play Test Sound, and playing a bit of music on Windows Media Player. I could hear myself while recording and all sounds were successfully captured.

I know you guys are using Camtasia, but seeing as that's not free forever I thought you might still be interested in a genuinely freeware option.

See you on Monday! I hope to be around to make a backup recording of the match and even participate in the commentary if you so desire...
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #89 on: Mar 19th, 2010, 4:20am »

The problem I (and it seems some others) have with TeamSpeak is that my voice echos if anyone else has their channel open.  (I use headphones and then the microphone is built into the computer.) I haven't had a chance to research this yet, if anyone has suggestions I'd be happy to do some testing before Monday's game.  I wonder if it has something to do with the recording set up?

I'm possibly available for commentating Monday's game, but it all depends on how the naps go.  I'd be happy to help or just listen if others want a turn.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.