Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 6:54pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2010 Postal Mixer »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2010 Postal Mixer
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  9 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2010 Postal Mixer  (Read 12986 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

2010 Postal Mixer
« on: Mar 25th, 2010, 10:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Omar, what ever happened to the 2010 Postal Tournament?  I see it was included in the events schedule with registration supposedly closing on April 1st (yikes!) but there is no link to it from the events page and it has never appeared in the game room announcements.  The URL http://arimaa.com/arimaa/tourn/postal/2010/ is dead.  Are we going to have this tournament or not?

I personally think it is an essential element of Arimaa calendar.  The World Championship is a great event, but it is not for everyone.  I can understand people not wanting to sign up for it if they are just going to get mauled.  The Postal Mixer, in contrast, is truly for everyone.  Nobody should fear signing up for it; the matches are intentionally paired to be close and everyone learns a ton.  Usually we break significant new theoretical ground.  I would hate for it not to happen because we just forgot about it.  Tongue
IP Logged

camelback
Forum Guru

Arimaa perl monger

Re: 2010 Postal Mixer
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25th, 2010, 1:00pm »

Can there be more features or improvements in Postal tourney this year?

I feel that it should have more distinctive features compared to Auto postal.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26th, 2010, 4:38am »

What features and improvements did you have in mind?  Maybe the autopostal has made the Postal Mixer obsolete, and I am just behind the times.  Shocked
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26th, 2010, 6:49pm »

Awesome, thanks for opening the registration, Omar.  I see we have five players in already.  Way cool.  Cool
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27th, 2010, 12:05am »

Are the bounds for simultaneous postal games in autopostal and postal mixer dependent? Should I decrease bound for autopostal ... ?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27th, 2010, 6:04am »

The bounds are independent.  You could theoretically get the maximum in both.  Plan accordingly...

The Postal Mixer is clearer, because you immediately get exactly as many games as you request, unless you request a ton.  You could just turn off the autopostal until the Postal Mixer pairings are announced and you know where you stand.

In the past, people (like blue22) who have signed up for twenty games ended up getting only about fourteen.  I'm not sure whether to expect the upper bound to be more or less this year.  On the one hand many folks so far are signing up for a small number of games, but on the other hand we already have eleven registrants in less than 24 hours since registration opened, so we may end up with a huge field this year, resulting in more possibilities for the game-hungry players.
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #6 on: Mar 27th, 2010, 8:34am »

Omar, you can sign up OpFor for a maximum of 20 games this year.

Thanks,
Janzert
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 27th, 2010, 9:37am »

on Mar 27th, 2010, 8:34am, Janzert wrote:

Yay, we'll have a bot again this year!  Or two?  Maybe another developer is interested too...
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2010, 9:37am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

« Reply #8 on: Mar 27th, 2010, 7:12pm »

on Mar 27th, 2010, 8:34am, Janzert wrote:

Thanks,
Janzert

Will opfor ponder in postal games?
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #9 on: Mar 27th, 2010, 8:04pm »

on Mar 27th, 2010, 7:12pm, Eltripas wrote:

Will opfor ponder in postal games?

No, it won't. I've always set OpFor to think a minimum of 2 hours and maximum of 4 for each move. So far this has kept it thinking literally continuously for the first few months of the tournament.

Janzert
IP Logged
camelback
Forum Guru

Arimaa perl monger

« Reply #10 on: Mar 27th, 2010, 8:13pm »

on Mar 26th, 2010, 4:38am, Fritzlein wrote:
What features and improvements did you have in mind?  

Ok, Here are my thoughts regarding postal tournament

I just noticed that there is no more a $20 deposit for registration this year. Thats good. Now the only difference compared to auto postal are
a. A seperate web page and scoring system to track the games
b. A chance to paired up with higher ranked players if you choose more games. This is not big advantage since you can always invite strong players personally if need be.

Some ideas to make it better and more exciting:

1. Everybody chips in some small amount and the most improved player in the tournament gets rewarded. It can be cash or some Arimaa goodies. I guess this will be an attracting feature for the newbies. Among advanced players, player with most wins can also be rewarded.
or
2. Give some title for the most improved and most won player in the tournament, example "Super owl" for most improved "owl howler" for most won or high score.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 29th, 2010, 7:07am »

Hmmm, only two days left to register, but no RonWeasley.  Don't get me wrong: with 21 players already signed up, this is guaranteed to be a great year for the Postal Mixer no matter what.  It's just that Ron has been there every year since the beginning.  If he doesn't sign up, it would be the end of an error era...  Cry
IP Logged

Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

« Reply #12 on: Mar 29th, 2010, 7:31am »

on Mar 29th, 2010, 7:07am, Fritzlein wrote:
Hmmm, only two days left to register, but no RonWeasley.  Don't get me wrong: with 21 players already signed up, this is guaranteed to be a great year for the Postal Mixer no matter what.  It's just that Ron has been there every year since the beginning.  If he doesn't sign up, it would be the end of an error era...  Cry

Aren't there still like 10 days left to register?, I think you are confusing the deadline of the screening with the deadline of the registration for the postal mixer.
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2010, 7:31am by Eltripas » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 29th, 2010, 8:50am »

on Mar 29th, 2010, 7:31am, Eltripas wrote:
Aren't there still like 10 days left to register?, I think you are confusing the deadline of the screening with the deadline of the registration for the postal mixer.

According to this page, registration ends April 1.
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wc/2010/sch.html

...But maybe that's an April Fool's joke Wink
IP Logged

novacat
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #751

« Reply #14 on: Mar 29th, 2010, 9:22am »

Registration ends at 6 pm EST on Friday April 9th according to the registration page. http://arimaa.com/arimaa/tourn/postal/2010/
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  ...  9 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.