Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 4:57am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « tag team event? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   tag team event?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: tag team event?  (Read 827 times)
ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

tag team event?
« on: Dec 12th, 2010, 5:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am not sure if it would work as well as other games I have played but tag team events have always been fun. 3v3 where 1 player plays another and then the winner of the match moves on with only the units had had left on the board at the end of the game. Members can sub out whenever they would like. A team loses when all three of its members have lost.  

Does anyone else think this would be fun? I know the WC is coming up so I wouldn't do anything about it until after that but I could always start thinking up official rules and tailor something up just for arimaa if the community would like.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: tag team event?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20th, 2010, 9:55am »

Sounds interesting. I'd be willing to try it out. The part about "the winner of the match moves on with only the units had had left on the board at the end of the game" would not be possible. But if the next game used all the pieces, it could work.

Also just to make sure I understand this correctly; one one game is being played at a time, right?

We had some World League team vs team games this past summer. That format worked out pretty well.
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/2010_Arimaa_World_League
IP Logged
ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20th, 2010, 2:23pm »

The winner only moving on with the remaining pieces could be solved with a "handicap period" or something where one player makes moves that do not advance their position while the other suicides units until the handicap is reached. The idea behind the event is a team substitutes players in and out with each game and near the end it becomes games with players who are handicapped from previous games playing against each other.  

It is a one game at a time style event. For example players 1,2, and 3 are playing players A,B, and C. The first game is 1 vs A. Player 1 wins and loses a dog. For the duration of this match up player A is out while player 1 must start with a dog handicap for the rest of their games plus whatever other pieces they lose in future games. It is a last man standing style event so a team wins by knocking the other 3 (or however many, 3 tends to work best) members out. The beauty comes from the fact that if a team thinks that in the next game a player has too much of a handicap to win or do well enough they can substitute in another player.

Looking at the rules of the League tournament I think I will definitely play in it next time but this would be a completely different type of thing, and less official.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Dec 23rd, 2010, 9:11am »

After the game 1 vs A, where 1 wins, but loses a dog, is the next game 1 vs B, with 1 taking a dog handicap while B starts with the full set of pieces?
IP Logged
ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

« Reply #4 on: Dec 23rd, 2010, 11:42am »

It depends on the substitution rules as I have played both ways. I could either write them so that a team could substitute players in and out whenever they would like (which I feel would be better) and in which case more than likely Player 1 would most likely be substituted for another player and saved for another game in the future. The other option would be substitute out when you lose. This isn't a terrible option but definitely favors teams with single great players. Say for example a newish player is player B and fritz is player 1, the dog handicap may not really be that big of a deal whereas if Player B is chessandgo then there may be a problem.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: Dec 25th, 2010, 11:04pm »

I think I also like teams being able to substitute players in and out whenever they like. These are definitely going to be games where both sides try to avoid exchanges and try to win without losing much material. It would be some interesting games. I'm in, but with the WC coming up soon I would prefer to try this after Q1 2011.
« Last Edit: Dec 25th, 2010, 11:05pm by omar » IP Logged
ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

« Reply #6 on: Dec 26th, 2010, 2:18am »

Yes I completely agree with delaying the start of this. This is more of a "who is interested" type of thread.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.